Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I took off in a place leaving Vegas years ago, and we didn't anymore get the wheels up before turning around and doing an emergency landing.

Turns out the rear engine was on fire, but the fire had been successfully snuffed and the engine was only smoldering when we got back to the airport.

Nobody on the plane had any idea why we landed abruptly.  The airline promptly shuttled us onto another plane and off we went.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
This wouldn't have happened if it had been wearing a mask.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#3]
On our flight from Texas to Mi awhile back the pilot had to shut down one engine having a vibration .

We were close to the Mi line and they turned around and flew back to Texas . They said weather was an issue landing with one engine but it was safe enough to fly all the way back to Texas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You start crapping bricks when the flames get to the wing.
View Quote

This is the right answer, the fuel tanks are in the wings.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are the causes of catastrophic engine failure?
View Quote

Catastrophes
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#7]
At least they were still over land and could find an airport.  Would suck to have to ditch in the middle of the Pacific.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
This is when you turn to your friends (hopefully sitting a few rows away ) and say loudly" If we crash,  you can eat me"

You don't even have to be on a rugby team to do so
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Was that not supposed to happen?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my FAA awareness / human factors courses, work makes us take yearly, we have to watch all these insane plane crashes and why they happened.

We went step by step through the one where the guy changes out a commercial jets windshield and uses the wrong too short bolts. Windshield flys off at 30k feet. Sucks the pilot partially out of the plane. His legs get caught on the sticks causing the plane to go into full nose dive. They got dude back in the plane somehow and actually landed it. He survived.
View Quote

Dayum.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#11]
This is why you sit up front. No one what’s to see that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would start taking the necessary precautions to ensure I survived the crash.

I would have my tray table up, and my seat back in the full upright position.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

friction?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

friction?
View Quote
Bird strike...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At least they were still over land and could find an airport.  Would suck to have to ditch in the middle of the Pacific.
View Quote

They wouldnt have to worry about the fire though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#16]
whats the big deal?

the plane had a spare on the other side ....
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not there but honestly with all the training and hard work pilots, cabin crew, air traffic controllers, etc., I wouldn't be too concerned I think.  

I mean it's not good of course, but in that situation, you're in the hands of the best, most capable people available to deal with this kinda shit.
View Quote
Yeah I'm sure that's what the passengers on board the Air France jet that the crew flew into the ocean were thinking.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In my FAA awareness / human factors courses, work makes us take yearly, we have to watch all these insane plane crashes and why they happened.

We went step by step through the one where the guy changes out a commercial jets windshield and uses the wrong too short bolts. Windshield flys off at 30k feet. Sucks the pilot partially out of the plane. His legs get caught on the sticks causing the plane to go into full nose dive. They got dude back in the plane somehow and actually landed it. He survived.
View Quote

I don’t like to fly so I do it rarely. Last time was 2015.

Human factors stuff is starting to show up in scuba diving.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Keep in mind the engine still has lube oil, hydraulic pump oil and fuel in lines

surrounding the engine. Pulling the "T" handle only shuts off the flow of fuel and hydraulic

to the engine and also exposes the fire bottle discharge switches.  Fan seems to be intact with no bent or missing blades.  If the core compressor

or the turbine wheels pitched a blade they could set off a vibration which caused the engine inlet cowl

to separate allowing air into the remaining cowl thus blowing it off.

Sure the FAA is on top of this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
By that time they've shut the engine down, stopped fuel flow to it, declared an emergency, and the other engine is still running. I wouldn't be too worried.
View Quote

One is none and two is one ...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]
poors view
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Front falling off
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Deep breaths, slow deep breaths. Not much fire, wing is stable, the plane is designed to fly on one engine, everything will be fine. And if it's your time, it's your time, nothing can stop it. So relax.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I was at a red light and watched that engine blow right in front of me. Huge puff of smoke, instantly knew he had lost and engine. Parts of that engine were in people's yard...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure it has nothing to do with airline techs getting high all the time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#26]
You mean this plane.
https://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index3488.htm
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd be shitting cats, claws first.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Happened to me taking off from Wichita. Engine blew a few seconds before wheels up. Lots of braking. Guy further back from me says fire. Flight attendants come back and look and we immediately go down the chutes. Don't remember if anything fell of the engine as I was up front and on the opposite side. I did remember thinking if I could fit through the window.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#29]
#newgreendeal #banaircraft
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#30]
It's happened to me twice.  Once on a government charter, I think it was a DC9, we lost two engines, the pilot said not to worry we still had two good ones.  The 2nd time I don't remember the plan type, but we were flying from Baltimore to Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably climate change or white supremacy according to Democrats
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not a very religious guy, but I would probably start praying.
View Quote

"There are no atheists in fox holes"
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#33]
“Stewardess? I changed my mind... I think I’ll have a drink after all.”
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
First thing, is you dont look at it.  

As long as you dont look at it, it will be fine.
View Quote

I tried that with my second wife.
It didn’t work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not so much the engine having catastrophic failure, its the fire that would worry me. Those planes are designed to fly on one engine.

Its obvious fire suppression didnt work, or they didnt activate the second fire suppression bottle. When they pull a fire handle the first time it kills fuel, power, neumatic and hydraulic systems feeding that engine then sets off the fire bottle. Turn the handle and pull again that sets off the second (last) fire suppression bottle. Still on fire after that? You're fucked unless you land before it spreads.

An in flight fire like that can turn limping home safely into a bunch of dead passengers real quick.

View Quote

There's lubricant oil in an engine...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Exhilarating would be one word that comes to mind.

SHITINGMYPANTS would  be another one.
????
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Odds of finding a Snap On tool in there?
I'm thinking 10 mm socket.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would start taking the necessary precautions to ensure I survived the crash.

I would have my tray table up, and my seat back in the full upright position.
View Quote

I'd probably be safe because of the shit buffer that would exist between myself and everything else.  Yes, I mean shit in the literal sense of the word.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fractions of a percent, an acquaintance is one of the managers for jet engine maintance for Delta and he was saying these are always learning experiences on what went wrong for all of the airlines who operate aircraft with that engine.  Consider the engines are designed to go for years between overhauls with their prescribed maintance schedule, there's few enough failures they always make the news.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Parts of it landed on some dudes front yard and his truck. That cover is huge!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

catastrophes?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On our flight from Texas to Mi awhile back the pilot had to shut down one engine having a vibration .

We were close to the Mi line and they turned around and flew back to Texas . They said weather was an issue landing with one engine but it was safe enough to fly all the way back to Texas.
View Quote

There is a large engine repair facility in Texas.  He was saving shipping and repair costs for the airline by flying all the way back to Texas.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not there but honestly with all the training and hard work pilots, cabin crew, air traffic controllers, etc., I wouldn't be too concerned I think.  

I mean it's not good of course, but in that situation, you're in the hands of the best, most capable people available to deal with this kinda shit.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I would have called the CC company and contested the charge. This way if the plane went down and I perished my estate would not be paying for the flight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck that out loud.
Two is one, one is none.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It ain't a flywheel, but I get your drift.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never sit in the plane of rotation.

It ain't a flywheel, but I get your drift.

Attachment Attached File

Sure.  Just 900 titanium blades turning 200,000rpm...  not dangerous like a flywheel...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#49]
There was an incident here a few years ago, an Air Canada jet screwed the landing at Halifax in a snowstorm, touched down a couple hundred feet shy of the runway.

They refused to call it a crash, called it a " hard landing" instead.  Damn plane left an engine and the landing gear in the woods, plane got cut up for scrap after.  

Passengers were left standing on the runway in a blizzard for an hour in light clothing.

Not out finest hour, but no body died
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Appears to have a little shimmy
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top