Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you can make a flip-book animation, you get the idea. There are a lot of CG tools to choose from for doing 2D if you ever get the inclination.
Blender is free and sometimes being able to make a little animation can be useful whether it's for fun or to share a few thoughts or even teach someone a thing or two.
Building 3D models and creating environments with them can be a bit more involved, but it's still about engaging the viewer, setting a tone and telling a story no matter how minimalistic or detailed.

http://s18.postimg.org/6w75andt5/haus.jpg

(my own work from a time when I used to do that sort of thing with motion pictures and such).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks!

CG animation is a mystery to me, I can probably do some traditional if I had to.

If you can make a flip-book animation, you get the idea. There are a lot of CG tools to choose from for doing 2D if you ever get the inclination.
Blender is free and sometimes being able to make a little animation can be useful whether it's for fun or to share a few thoughts or even teach someone a thing or two.
Building 3D models and creating environments with them can be a bit more involved, but it's still about engaging the viewer, setting a tone and telling a story no matter how minimalistic or detailed.

(my own work from a time when I used to do that sort of thing with motion pictures and such).

Very cool!  Did you go to school for it?

All I know about is Cal Arts (A113) and Full Sail.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks!

CG animation is a mystery to me, I can probably do some traditional if I had to.

I was fortunate to get a lot of one-on-one training from a very talented VFX/CG guy who now works at weta digital. At the time, I was doing CAD stuff for another outfit in a different industry, but he helped me put a demo reel together and I gradually got some nice work over several years. I've heard a lot good things about online curriculum and various schools that have departments which include animation as part of their film or art programs, but you can learn a lot on your own if you're resourceful. Like music, you can learn about theory from a teacher, but you have to practice (a lot) if you want to go further than having an understanding. With a good balance of knowledge and skill, it becomes much easier to analyze and solve problems. These days, I'm not as interested in entertainment, so I concentrate on science projects which require visualization, physics simulations and that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was fortunate to get a lot of one-on-one training from a very talented VFX/CG guy who now works at weta digital. At the time, I was doing CAD stuff for another outfit in a different industry, but he helped me put a demo reel together and I gradually got some nice work over several years. I've heard a lot good things about online curriculum and various schools that have departments which include animation as part of their film or art programs, but you can learn a lot on your own if you're resourceful. Like music, you can learn about theory from a teacher, but you have to practice (a lot) if you want to go further than having an understanding. With a good balance of knowledge and skill, it becomes much easier to analyze and solve problems. These days, I'm not as interested in entertainment, so I concentrate on science projects which require visualization, physics simulations and that sort of thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool.

I've enjoyed the CG work of whoever is working for NASA:

Love the camera work.

ETA:  I can't believe that mission actually worked
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very cool.

https://youtu.be/gwinFP8_qIM

Love the camera work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very cool.

https://youtu.be/gwinFP8_qIM

Love the camera work.

First version of the Kerbal Space Program released: June 2011

Curiosity mission launched: November 2011

Coincidence? I think not

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]

A certain movie just got past $800 million.

Any guesses?

http://deadline.com/2016/04/zootopia-crosses-800-million-worldwide-box-office-1201732382/

Having grossed $276.7M domestically and $523M internationally through yesterday, Disney’s Zootopia is now heading north of $800M today. So far it is the biggest worldwide grosser of 2016. It added a total $50.3M this weekend worldwide. Of that, $31M came from its eighth frame of offshore play in 52 markets. The overseas numbers are buoyed by a phenomenal run in China — where it is the highest-grossing animated film of all time and even nabbed a two-week extension. The cume there is $222M. Meanwhile, Japan, which is a wild card, is still to come on April 23.

Zootopia is the 2nd biggest Walt Disney Animation Studios’ release of all time in its original release (after Frozen) and the 3rd biggest overall (after Frozen and The Lion King). It’s also Disney’s 6th biggest animated release of all time and the industry’s 5th biggest original IP animated film ever (4th excluding re-releases).
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
From a recent Atlanta convention..

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Release the Furries!

Not to mention the cosplay:

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Great documentary that was just released:

They were going to some dark places in that early script.

Love the fact they could bounce the movie off of Pixar.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not gonna lie... I want to see it.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not gonna lie... I want to see it.

This.

I took my daughter.  I normally dread kids movies.  It was great.
The Godfather scene was hilarious
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Volume warning (a little), a cool speed draw:

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Found a really cool Alternative Universe web comic called Zistopia:

http://nicolaswildes.tumblr.com/tagged/Zistopia-AU/chrono

Delves into the dark places of the original script and concept art.

Recommended.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#15]

I'm actually a furry.

We're not all fursuit wearing perverts, you know.

I do wish my fandom did less crazy stuff though. It's hard when people unload on ya and think you wear a fursuit and stuff, when the most I'll ever do is look at artwork.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm actually a furry.

I do wish my fandom did less crazy stuff though. It's hard when people unload on ya and think you wear a fursuit and stuff, when the most I'll ever do is look at artwork.
View Quote

Be honest - somewhere in the back of your sock drawer you have a fox tailed butt plug, don't you?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm actually a furry.

View Quote

You can trace it all back to Mark Merlino back in the 90's.

He broadcast far and wide that "Hey guys, here's a non-judgemental space to let your freak flag fly!  Oh, and if you like anthropomorphic animals, that's cool too!"

At least the Fandom seems to be growing and gaining some sort of legitimacy.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Took my son and his friend to see it, we all loved it :)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is that Rook and Montagne? Should have been turtles, heh.

View All Quotes

There's no reptiles or birds in the movie.

Directors wanted it to boil it down to the binary prey/predator dynamic.  

Also, no cats or dogs (domesticated).
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Opens in Japan today.

Current Worldwide:  $891,331,606  

If it does 100ish mil in Japan, it'll crack a billion.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/CVKAHFE.jpg

Opens in Japan today.

View Quote

I really hope it does.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I really hope it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opens in Japan today.

I really hope it does.

In Japan?  It will hit that mark easily.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opens in Japan today.

I really hope it does.

http://www.zootopianewsnetwork.com/

Zootopia has officially released in Japan!  Zootopia has now, officially, gone global!  And I would guess that, if it's a fraction as popular in Japan as it was in China or the US or Europe, that Japan will bring in at least another $100 Million to the movie's total gross, possibly pushing it over the $1 Billion mark worldwide!

It definitely helps when a movie's release comes with a strong recommendation from one of the biggest studios in all of Animation!  Toshio Suzuki, co-founder of the legendary Studio Ghibli, is apparently just as in love with Zootopia as we are, calling it "A masterpiece that stands above the rest".  He even called up Hayao Miyazaki to tell him that "I just watched something amazing." when he left the theater.*

When the minds behind such incredible animation say they're amazed by an animated film, you know you've done something right.  Congratulations to Zootopia and everyone who worked on it!

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Wife and I saw it again last night it (for the third time) and the theater was full - as in, hard to find decent seats full. I can't believe that this is still going...

Fantastic movie that keeps getting better every time I see it. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray and really hope this thing breaks a billion - Japan, don't let me down!

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]
We ordered an 'Art of Zootopia' book from Amazon for $24. I received a message this afternoon that there was a backorder delay and confirmed that we still wanted it.

Apparently the going rate for these on Amazon is $200 and up now.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He broadcast far and wide that "Hey guys, here's a non-judgemental space to let your freak flag fly!  Oh, and if you like anthropomorphic animals, that's cool too!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm actually a furry.

Still dealing with a lot of that Today, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There's no reptiles or birds in the movie.

Directors wanted it to boil it down to the binary prey/predator dynamic.  

Also, no cats or dogs (domesticated).
View Quote

Birds are mentioned at least twice, but yes I don't remember any actually appearing.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#30]

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/zootopia-home-edition-out-june-7-reveals-160039321.html

Blu ray drops June 7th.

Video that pages shows some cool Easter Eggs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#33]

I'm at a con and just met the artist who drew that.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Is that plate real?
View All Quotes

Yep!

It was on the Zootopians Facebook group.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep!

I expected it to be yours, being from PA :D
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep!

Nope, not mine.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#40]

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Zootopia-Just-Scored-Yet-Another-Massive-Box-Office-Milestone-134347.html

Nobody could have expected that Zootopia would do as well as it has in theaters. We’re not disputing the fact that Disney is a bona fide box office giant, but the film has defied even the most generous expectations to become a worldwide phenomenon. The simple story of a fox and a rabbit took on an insanely mature allegorical meaning, and elevated the film beyond many of the lowbrow animated features that have hit theaters lately. We’ve reported extensively on Zootopia’s immense financial success, but its latest accolade is by far its most impressive.

A new report from Forbes has really put the insane financial success of Zootopia into perspective. According to this report, the film has become the second highest grossing original film of all time – coming in second to James Cameron’s now legendary Avatar. With a worldwide gross of $991 million, it’s slowly but surely inching towards the highly coveted $1 billion mark that so many films often shoot for.
View Quote

Second highest gross for an original IP.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Just in:

Zootopia broke the Billion :D
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just in:

Zootopia broke the Billion :D
View Quote

http://deadline.com/2016/06/zootopia-passes-one-billion-worldwide-box-office-disney-1201767542/

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#45]
SJW bullshit.

Fucking hell, it was unwatchable.  

I laughed once, when that little fox opened the van with the baseball bat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#46]

We plan to check the Target version out but if it's like the Star Wars exclusive packaging, prepare to be disappointed.  Granted the content was pretty good as it was on the small arms of Star Wars.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
SJW bullshit.

View Quote

'Kay
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
SJW bullshit.

View Quote

I dare you to tell me you didn't even snicker at the nudist colony scene.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
SJW bullshit.

View Quote

Sucks to be you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
SJW bullshit.

View Quote

you must be a blast at parties.

That or the move was way over your intellect level.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top