Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also Amazon isn't profitable and never has been.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Also Amazon isn't profitable and never has been.

They are starting to post profits (though small)

The Wall Street Journal
Amazon Posts Surprising Profit
Shares hit new high as conservative spending and growth in cloud computing lift results

ETA- I don't abuse Prime. Prime abuses me. Jeff Bezos has made me his bitch
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Legal

Hell, amazon doesn't care if you ship it to multiple addresses. I have plenty of family members using mine and they have been for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost felt bad using it for tires. 4 tires for $100 cheaper than anywhere local and no shipping on top of that.

I buy a lot of tires (just bought two yesterday) and never found a deal on Amazon that beat Discount Tire.  Tire Rack pricing isn't so good.

I had a nail in a front tire and both were 7 years old.  Made it to the store at 1715.  I left at 1800 with two mounted and balanced tires.

I don't have time to do much streaming.  I gave my codes for Netflix and Amazon to my brother so they would at least get a little bit of use.  Yes, this is legal.

Legal

Hell, amazon doesn't care if you ship it to multiple addresses. I have plenty of family members using mine and they have been for years.

They allow two users at a time if you read the fine print.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been abusing the hell out of these. The Cottonelle one is worth it's weight in gold with a house full of women.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been abusing the hell out of these. The Cottonelle one is worth it's weight in gold with a house full of women.

http://d1l9zs272jkxri.cloudfront.net/blog/uploads/2015/08/31135117/00-amazon-dash-buttons.png

View Quote

They can be hacked and used as wifi event buttons for your own projects
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are using it as they hoped.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I definitely get my money's worth from Prime!

Me too, especially considering I've never paid for it. Got in the beta program before it started and have never received a bill
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Abuse is 40 pound bags of kitty litter shipped in 2 days for 15 bucks....no idea how that works.
View Quote

Is it the World's Best kitty litter?  

The clumping clay kind?

Because we do the same shit to our driver.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://d1l9zs272jkxri.cloudfront.net/blog/uploads/2015/08/31135117/00-amazon-dash-buttons.png

Details, please.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Details, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Details, please.

No kidding!

Off to youtube and the interwebz

ETA: the only ones I use are the laundry detergent and toilet paper. I have 3 more that I would love to program to order more 7.62x39, a couple hookers, and more blow. I can't think of anything else to do with them now. I need ideas.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

this one right here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What you describe is not abuse.  Its getting what you pay for.  

this one right here

Tell that to Microsoft, who is backtracking on the offer of unlimited OneDrive storage with an Office 365 subscription because people were using it too much.  

Now capped at 1 TB.  Big whoop... I can buy a 1TB drive for fifty bucks these days.

Sorry for OT.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Details, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details, please.

Basically these things are normally off. Pushing the button turns them on, they connect to your wifi network and send out a few arps on the network, and try to connect to amazon. You can disassociate them from your amazon account/ordering or block them with a firewall and write a program that detects them connecting to your network and announcing their presence and perform events based on that. The precess is not immediate - theres about a 30 second delay between pressing the button and detecting the event on the network.

Google "amazon dash hack"
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a Prime subscriber, but regular Amazon shopper.
My last 2 orders sat/didn't even ship for over a week.  8 days on the first and 7 days and counting on the second.

Looking at Jet.com for items I normally would buy from Amazon.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have prime and use it a lot, but never thought to order tires on Amazon. Didn't know they sold tires, but they sell everything else so I don't know why I didn't think of this.

I feel worse for my UPS driver. He has to drive 1.5 miles round trip down my bumpy, private dirt road a couple times a week to deliver stupid shit like the aquarium filters that came yesterday that I paid $6 for.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Abuse is 40 pound bags of kitty litter shipped in 2 days for 15 bucks....no idea how that works.
View Quote

I once ordered a treadmill and had it shipped next day air for an extra 5.99.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Basically these things are normally off. Pushing the button turns them on, they connect to your wifi network and send out a few arps on the network, and try to connect to amazon. You can disassociate them from your amazon account/ordering or block them with a firewall and write a program that detects them connecting to your network and announcing their presence and perform events based on that. The precess is not immediate - theres about a 30 second delay between pressing the button and detecting the event on the network.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details, please.

Hmmm.....

It would be nice to rig something like that up next to the press to order more powder or primers from Grafs or Powder valley....

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have prime and use it a lot, but never thought to order tires on Amazon. Didn't know they sold tires, but they sell everything else so I don't know why I didn't think of this.

I feel worse for my UPS driver. He has to drive 1.5 miles round trip down my bumpy, private dirt road a couple times a week to deliver stupid shit like the aquarium filters that came yesterday that I paid $6 for.
View Quote

Haha I didn't either until I started looking. I have my trucks in my "garage" on Amazon. When I'm shopping auto parts Amazon shows whether or not the parts will fit on my vehicles. On a whim I selected my truck which shows all the parts Amazon sells which will fit. You can narrow down the categories and tires are one of them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
you should check out the amazon thread in team! it is insane the deals I have got on amazon
View Quote

No he probably should not check out that thread!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How is that abuse?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a 4 ton hydraulic spreader tool that weighed in at about 80 lbs for about $100.  That was by far the cheapest price I could find, free shipping and no sales tax.  My son does business with Amazon and shipping heavy items like liquid detergent, etc. is a loser for Amazon but they keep on doing it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#21]
They are abusing you.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#22]
The amount of heavy stuff I've ordered and have made them drag to the door is alone worth it.

On a monthly basis they get to deliver large bags of dog food and I smile because I didn't have to drive to the pet store, didn't have to haul these bags around and didn't have to bring them home - plus its cheaper.

Amazon prime has always been great as far as customer service. Just in the last year:

- Had a furniture item turn up a totally different color finish than it was online, contacted the seller (the company that makes it) was was told oh so sad, finishes may vary. Talked to Amazon CS and it was taken care of with a shipping label in 5 minutes.

- Wife made a mistake and had an item shipped to an old, old address and didn't realize it until afterwards. They said forget about it and sent a replacement overnight that day.

- On a Trijicon sight I ordered one with a red reticle while on a huge sale and was sent the wrong one. Tried to do an exchange/return but the sale had ended on this specific sight and since the original sale was cycling the vendor that was offering it, things got confusing when they tried to credit/refund it and give me the difference back on a new sight. After 2-3 calls, supervisor said Merry Christmas, we'll just sent you the correct site and refund you for your purchase anyways. Was completely free.

- Had various small things go wrong throughout the year; their CS is phenomenal if you are a long time prime member. I see it as more of insurance with a shipping perk.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
you guys could always sign up for any of the amazon prime eBay order fulfillment pyramid scams

you might make like $40 before they cancel your $80 membership
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
you should check out the amazon thread in team! it is insane the deals I have got on amazon
View Quote

What is this Amazon thread you speak of?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I really think Amazon Prime has given me an online shopping addiction. I see things with one day delivery and almost click on them out of reflex.

I feel sorry for any retailer nowadays. My wife will say...we need XYZ and I will simply say...get it on Amazon...It should be on Prime.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#26]
This is what's amazing. It's almost like Amazon is reading my mind. Could be something as random as a Johnson rod, and Amazon can get it to me in 2 days. That means that the Las Vegas or Bakersfield distribution centers had my little 5.99 Johnson rod in stock.

Those places must be HUGE

**Also, if you have kids at college and they get a free school email account (and they are not using it), you can get discounted Prime membersip. Free for the first year then $40 after that.

The above works as well for any .edu address so if you have a friend who is a mail administrator and willing to give you an email account, it will work.

Quoted:

The game they're playing is about distribution centers, not so much about "fast shipping".  If they have enough warehouses in the right locations then they won't actually spend that much money with the shipper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes I wonder how Amazon makes any money on certain transactions. For example, they mailed my copy of Fallout 4 using UPS 2nd Day Air AND sold it to me for $49.99.

The game they're playing is about distribution centers, not so much about "fast shipping".  If they have enough warehouses in the right locations then they won't actually spend that much money with the shipper.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is what's amazing. It's almost like Amazon is reading my mind. Could be something as random as a Johnson rod, and Amazon can get it to me in 2 days. That means that the Las Vegas or Bakersfield distribution centers had my little 5.99 Johnson rod in stock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes I wonder how Amazon makes any money on certain transactions. For example, they mailed my copy of Fallout 4 using UPS 2nd Day Air AND sold it to me for $49.99.

And don't think they pay anywhere near what you pay for shipping.

When I worked at a large mortgage firm, and negotiated part of our shipping rates that we charged a flat fee of $55 for on the HUD (with 3-4 envelopes being sent per mortgage file), we were sending FedEx envelopes overnight air for something like $3.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Amazon recently added a line item to their quarterly expense report just for me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Amazon recently added a line item to their quarterly expense report just for me.
View Quote

I'm the reason Amazon has had two consecutive profitable quarters.

Well, I can count what everyone buys that I posted, right?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I received an 80lb heavy bag yesterday with free shipping.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Read his complete post.  It tells you where it is.  spend 24 bucks and you to can go see it.

I get my money out of prime.  The shipping might equal out but the streaming most certainly makes it worth while.  I am not to ordering every thing, like dog food, on prime yet but I have tried some odds and ends from there.  

One thing I like about prime is I don't wait until I have enough stuff to order to get free shipping.  with prime I just order if I only need some little thing.

I live rural and prices in town are easy to beat and lately going into some of the nearby cities does not offer the selection amazon offers.

I do price check stuff here and there and I find I use new egg or tiger for puter stuff cause I get their emails.

Woot seems to have gone downhill and someone said amazon bought em.

With amazon using any method of shipping possible I have often had something deliver by usps, ups, and fedex all on the same day if I placed a bunch of orders and stuff came from all over.  I find it amusing as heck, have a heck of a cardboard box wall.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#32]
The fucked up my fallout order.... In june they said it would be here today guaranteed, this morning they said it was shipping, to arrive on thursday.

Oh well, 7.98 refund and a free extra month..
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#33]
That's like saying you paid $100 for a hooker and are abusing her by fucking her.

You kind of missed the point of the price of Prime.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's like saying you paid $100 for a hooker and are abusing her by fucking her.

You kind of missed the point of the price of Prime.
View Quote

/thread

You bought it, you might as well enjoy it to the fullest extent possible.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]

How do you get tires installed that you bought on Amazon?

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if serious or trolling....
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Kitty litter, 5 gal buckets of laundry soap, dog food, cat food...

The UPS driver hates us... lol
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kitty litter, 5 gal buckets of laundry soap, dog food, cat food...

The UPS driver hates us... lol
View Quote

254 pounds of goods in 5 packages last Friday.

The UPS driver looked like we whipped him. Poor kid, does he even lift?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, I'm serious. Ive only ever bought them from the tire shop. I wouldnt think they would be ok with me carrying my own tires in.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lol, I'm serious. Ive only ever bought them from the tire shop. I wouldnt think they would be ok with me carrying my own tires in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most full service shops will be OK with you bringing in your own tires. If not, find a new shop.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Most full service shops will be OK with you bringing in your own tires. If not, find a new shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. I've never found a shop that wouldn't install tires bought elsewhere, tho I'm sure some exist (those who don't like money).
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If he's trolling, I want to know anyway.  I have always bought tires from walmart  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's trolling, I want to know anyway.  I have always bought tires from walmart  

Even Sears will install tires you brought in from elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I definitely get my money's worth from Prime!

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a ton of tire places around here for some reason. But not too many repair garages, which, I've always found odd.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd say the team thread has more abuse than anything.  IE people buying obviously mispriced items, getting them for free, and asking for free prime time for their trouble.

And yes, I have never gotten a good deal.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#47]
You're doing it right.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I'd say the team thread has more abuse than anything.  IE people buying obviously mispriced items, getting them for free, and asking for free prime time for their trouble.

View Quote
Me too. A day late and a dollar short. Funny that we ridicule neckbearding like behavior on this site but that thread has the smell of neckbeard all over it.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Me too. A day late and a dollar short. Funny that we ridicule neckbearding like behavior on this site but that thread has the smell of neckbeard all over it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

90% of it is nice finds of properly marked deals.  The other 10% is cases of items mispriced as Indviduals.  

I'm all for the gamble, and I'm really not surprised when people get stuff for free.  What bugs me is when they hassle the CS folks for account credit or extra prime time.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:39:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So will Walmart

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top