Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I spent a year at McMurdo, Antarctica, from November, 1958, to November, 1959, as part of Operation DeepFreeze Four.  I was issued several types of footware for the various conditions that occur during the year.  The white bunny boots were for the coldest weather.  It never got too cold for the bunny boots while I was there.  I still have the bunny boots that I was issued.  I have not had any need for them since I moved to the Phoenix, Arizona, area 44 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:28:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
What you really need to find is a pair of air force mukluks. The tall green canvas ones with removable felt liner. Pure heaven!
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:56:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center, Bridgeport, CA
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Went through arctic warfare training at Ft. Wainwright in January and February back in the 80s.  Spent much of the time living outdoors in 50 below weather.  A combination of those boots, fresh socks, and keeping moving kept my feet warm.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Not military, but I've used both.  The bunny boots work well if you are standing around.  Either way, bring and use lots of gold bond and fresh socks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#7]
We were issued Bunny Boots in Antarctica and our cold weather survival bags had a set of Bunny Boots in them.

I was a Loadmaster on C-130's so we had to wear steel toed boots, I was issued Redwing insulated steel toe boots.

If I was going to be working outside for any length of time I would wear the military issued Muk-a luks.

I hated the Bunny boots as they didn't breath.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I was issued but never wore the Mickey Mouse boots. The coldest places I was ever at were Germany and Ft McCoy. If it got too cold for the issue Matterhorn's, We would wear the green rubber boots over top our PT shoes.

I can see where Mickey Mouse or Bunny boots would be good for still/stand hunting or ice fishing (since you're not moving much) in extreme climates.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We were issued Bunny Boots in Antarctica and our cold weather survival bags had a set of Bunny Boots in them.

I was a Loadmaster on C-130's so we had to wear steel toed boots, I was issued Redwing insulated steel toe boots.

If I was going to be working outside for any length of time I would wear the military issued Muk-a luks.

http://www.armynavysales.com/assets/item/large/DSCN6351.JPG

View Quote

These are good and breathe well as you say.  I'd buy a better pair of liners than the felt ones that come standard though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Since they don't come in half sizes, do you order the one larger?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They were horrible to walk in, but great for guard duty standing around.
View Quote

yup.

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Three years in Ft. Wainwright AK with bunny boots.  Make sure you wear the right socks.  No cotton only wool.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.armynavysales.com/assets/item/large/DSCN6351.JPG

View Quote

Bunny boots weren't meant to breath.  They are know as VB boots or vapor barrier boots.  That's why they have a valve on the side and how they keep your feet so warm with little insulation.  I've walked literally hundreds of miles in them.  I was a grunt!
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I figured even salt water near the shore would freeze like icebergs near the shore during cold like that. Wouldn't even running water develop a frozen crust on top? We ain't got that stuff in TN, so I am genuinely curious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bunny Boots were mandatory during certain endurance races here in AK. They are the ONLY boot made that will keep you feet warm after you step into ice water at -40, they will save your life.

How is there even ice water at -40?

Salt water?

And running water.

I figured even salt water near the shore would freeze like icebergs near the shore during cold like that. Wouldn't even running water develop a frozen crust on top? We ain't got that stuff in TN, so I am genuinely curious.

Oh yeah, it'll freeze over top, sometimes thick enough to drive on, but if the water runs fast enough through a narrow channel, it won't freeze over.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For the .Mil guys (and others) that have worn them, are they worth it?  Unissued pair of Mickey Mouse boots for $69.00.  Unissued Bunny boots for $89.00.  Seems like a good price for a pair of boots that are rated for -20 (Mickey) and -60 (Bunny), but I have never worn them either.  Are their cold ratings accurate?

I'm in Michigan, so the Mickey's with a rating of -20 is sufficient, if they actually keep your feet warm.  I would use them for deer hunting, cold weather camping.
View Quote

I have never used either, but my Danners with 400 gram thinsulate have never let my feet get cold.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#17]
WTF is up with everyone saying you need to dick around with the valve? Don't touch those things unless you're airborne. It's ONLY used to equalize pressure at extreme (flying) altitude, due to the sealed layers of wool insulation (cool cutaway pic above)
I don't even know HOW you would 'pump' them up. Wrap your lips around the ring and blow?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top