Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2015 10:51:23 PM EDT
What would freak you out faster? Being stuck in a space too small to stand up, or too small to lay down? Low ceiling bothers me more for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had to perform wiring and piping in such places, and have always felt calm knowing I can get back out.
But I dislike arachnids in my confined workspaces.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
NOPE

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Rock climbing an off-width crack, foot slips off the micro edge and I am hanging from my compressed chest with 30' of crack below my dangling feet, 1/2 hour to move 1/2" all the while I can't breathe more than short panting as my chest is being squeezed so hard by my weight pulling me down into the cracks constriction. Good Times! That was a tough time trying not to laugh!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I see pictures of people exploring tunnels in caves that are only big enough to slither through on your belly, constricted on all sides.

I break out in hives just looking at the pictures.  Literally fills me with mortal dread.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck an MRI.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see pictures of people exploring tunnels in caves that are only big enough to slither through on your belly, constricted on all sides.

I break out in hives just looking at the pictures.  Literally fills me with mortal dread.  

View Quote

Once did a passage called the gun barrel, half a football field long and about two and a half foot diameter.

Iv'e been there,  and at least there is room to move and a destination.   Being stuck freaks me out more.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
MRIs bug me worse than any cave I've been in  .... Don't know what it is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fuck an MRI.
View Quote

I like those.

I pretend I'm a photon torpedo.  Or dead Spock in his torpedo casket.

I also pretend that if I think dirty enough thoughts, the MRI tech will notice them on his/her view panel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
They don't bother me one bit. Unless of course its something like, I can move and I'm stuck and there is going to be some excavating to get me out.

At work we have to climb in some confined spaces for cleaning. Spaces are tight where if you're laying down on your stomach, you're not going to easliy just flip onto your back. Some of the entry ways are a just big enough to crawl in and out of
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
This picture makes me want to scream.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Nah I'm pretty used to it. Wearing a SCBA crawling into a confined space at work, pulling some sorry sap out cause he slipped and fell and went unconscious. Part of the job lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm short of breath just reading this damn thread!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#16]
SUPER NO

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, none of yall should ever even think about working on a ship.

~5'5" bilge diver extraordinaire
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#18]

I used to do this.^  

I have been in even smaller places in caves.  It can be a bit unnerving if you think about the tons of rock and earth entombing you!

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Not being able to stand or not being able to lie down does not bother me. Not being able to move my arms from my side to above my head  or back while standing or prone is what gets me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]

I'd vomit and shit myself. Seriously.

I can do ANYTHING besides tight spaces around my chest/shoulders.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used to do this.^  

I have been in even smaller places in caves.  It can be a bit unnerving if you think about the tons of rock and earth entombing you!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I used to do this.^  

It wouldn't be so much that. It would be the morons in front and behind me that would bother me. If the person in front of me stopped for some reason I'd probably shit my pants, have a heart attack or both.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Those caves don't bother me a bit. Shit lock me in a coffin all day. But heights?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Trigger discipline...
View All Quotes
It's not cocked they are supposed to be dangerous.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Come spend a few days with me doing electrical refits on yachts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck this thread. My heart starting pounding and my breathing changed just looking at some of those pics I m out of here.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Love it!!

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

Then how do you guys feel about this

ETA: NOT A FUCKING CHANCE IN HELL I WOULD DO THIS, AND I LOVE TO DIVE!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#28]
NOPE.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ConSpace rescue geek here.
View Quote

Respect.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Confined Space/High Angle rescue class.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yah. Respect. What's the wildest thing you've seen? Or any other stories you wouldn't mind sharing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yah. Respect. What's the wildest thing you've seen? Or any other stories you wouldn't mind sharing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every year some sad guy  with family will try to be "Santa" and slide down the chimney to bring some joy to their house.

Every fucking year.

Guess who has to go get them out?

That's right.    The coronor and a mask with a jackhammer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I've done lots of vessel, tank, and boiler inspections.  The confined spaces never freaked me out, it was the contorting I had to do to get in the man way.  It always stuck with me that if I had to get out in a hurry it would be nearly impossible.

A legit confined space rescue guy?  I never knew they existed.  Most times I got some dipshit with a radio who would just tell management I went down.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember that guy that got stuck in the Nutty Putty cave in Utah.  He was stuck in an almost inverted position, head down and feet sticking straight up.  Rescue workers stayed near him and worked to get him out but he died within a day.  They closed the cave and he's still there, the cave serves as his final resting place.  Creepy.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:57:52 AM EDT
[#36]
No. Just no.

I need a Xanax to get in an open sided MRI.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:58:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Those caves don't bother me a bit. Shit lock me in a coffin all day. But heights?
View Quote

Lulz.

I climbed out onto the wing of a Cessna at 2,000 feet.  Great fun.

Put me inside an MRI - I turned into a 4-year old girl.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Fuck every last little bit of that. I don't mind being in narrow spaces, used to do electrical work, but if I'm lying down and I can't move my body, I freak out. Even working on my car every once In a while I'll find myself wedged and have a mini freakout. Those cave crawling shots, especially the spelunking.... nopenopenopenopenope
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:01:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Double
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#41]
More nightmare material

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#42]
lie down.  seriously.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not being able to stand or not being able to lie down does not bother me.  Not being able to move my arms from my side to above my head or back while standing or prone is what gets me.  
View Quote

THIS.  I can't stand to be in a location where I'm too constrained to move my arms freely.

The other thing I'm not fond of is being upside down for extended periods.  Being the only one in the shop with arms long enough to reach certain places in the cockpit required me to do a headstand in the seat and then shimmy down to the floorboard to work on wiring behind the rudder pedals.  After fifteen minutes or so it was time to get back out to be able to breathe normally for a while and then repeat the process.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#45]
In October of 1989 I was working the Cypress structure collapse in Oakland. We were searching for survivors but found nothing but crushed corpses.  Crawling deep into the wreckage, tangled iron and wiring and millions of pounds of concrete. The dead were so badly trapped that the Air Force PJs we were working with were cutting off limbs so the cops could run their prints to identify them.  It was a fucking mess but we did our best.

This went on for a long time. One night after a week or so I was crawling into the collapse and found a pickup truck that was crushed and there was a very obviously dead man behind the wheel.

The feeling of impending doom was overwhelming. I thought that I was going to die. I would have killed anyone who got in my way, I needed to get the fuck out of there right the fuck now. I scrambled out of the wreckage into a cloudburst. That rain felt so damn good!  I never again went too deep into the structure after that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#46]
lie down.  seriously.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:18:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Isn't the saying if you make a "gun" of your index finger and thumb (both hands).....point the "barrels" at each other. That's the space your hips can fit through???

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Isn't the saying if you make a "gun" of your index finger and thumb (both hands).....point the "barrels" at each other. That's the space your hips can fit through???

View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Meh, that's barely a tight squeeze at all! His boots are still upright and he can stick his arms out.

I've been in lots of squeezes like that. It only starts to rattle me when it's not tall enough for my helmet.

I've been caving for about 11 years now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A legit confined space rescue guy?.
View Quote

Recently I've  started doing confined space rescues in the oil industry. We do confined space as well as rescues a couple hundred feet up and every where in between.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top