Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2009 9:31:33 PM EDT
Any reviews, load data, and of course PICS would be awesome. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
45 Super is mo better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
45 Super is mo better.

they each have a place - but I would agree that, between the two, I would lean towards 45 Super if only for the parts interchangeability (barrels, mags, reloading dies, etc all work for 45 ACP).   Once you get the proper setup, I think 45Super would be more "convenient,"

but a google search will show why some people still prefer a .460 conversion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I am planning on doing a 460 conversion on a taurus 1911. I cant wait, but I'm currently holding off until I get setup to reload. I think that this conversion makes much more sense if you are able to reload. I have been searching the internet throughly and the amount of info/reviews on 460 conversion is slim at best. Although most comments seem very positive, not to mention most people say it is a blast to shoot.

I found a demo video here: Guns and Gear Video
-The video is from Johnny Rowland's Guns and Gears its about 5 minutes and gives a little background info and some action shots of shooting. (Low Quality Video)

Here is a link to another forum where a guy has done a 460 conversion on his Kimber: 460 Rowland Conversion thread
-This page also has a short video of the guy firing a couple rounds (Medium Quality)

Hope this info helps a little - My vote is for the 460
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a good friend do one in the mid 90's. He was using cut off 308 shells for brass at the time. Gave him really
high pressure safety with the thick cases.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have searched google extensively, but there isn't much out there? I was under the impression that only a barrel and recoil spring had to be changed, and mags, dies, etc were interchangeable.

Can someone show me where .45 super has the same energy as the .460? I know the .460 gets around 1000ft/lbs out of a 5 inch barrel. I won't be shooting a lot of whichever caliber I choose, and I will have a dedicated gun, so switching back and forth isn't a concern for me.

Does anyone have .45 Super first hand experience they can share in a hunting application, or even just reloading?

Quoted:
Quoted:
45 Super is mo better.

they each have a place - but I would agree that, between the two, I would lean towards 45 Super if only for the parts interchangeability (barrels, mags, reloading dies, etc all work for 45 ACP).   Once you get the proper setup, I think 45Super would be more "convenient,"

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
google "real guns" and he has some excellent reloading (and general information) on BOTH setups.

You'd be looking at around 800 ft/lbs out of a 200gr 45 cal at...  1100-1200 fps?

But also be aware that the .460 puts more abuse on that same pistol (hence the required compensator and conversion setup).

You really want to evaluate what you're doing with this gun, and how expendable it is if a frame or slide cracks on you?

Also, in EITHER CASE, you really want to put in a squared-off firing pin stop to help with dwell time and slide velocity (to minimize gun wear).
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Real Guns site is not working for me, I get an error message. I have an EGW firing pin stop ready to go. This pistol is going to be used for camping/fishing/hiking duty. I will probably develop a load for it and shoot a couple of magazines per year. This isn't a high volume pistol project, I have plenty others for that.

Will an uncomped 45super get beat up as much as a comped 460?

I liked the idea of the 460 because the energy was pretty close to a 44mag. The 1911 is a lot nicer package to carry than a big bore revolver, and reloads are MUCH faster and easier.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you look at this site: http://www.acecustom45s.com/

The conversion is a dual recoil spring/buffer assembly and a shortened firing pin. You use the same barrel and mag. You can still fire full power 45 ACP through it reliably. Trust me, a 185gr bullet at 1400 FPS is all you wanna shoot outa 1911. I shot a converted Colt 1991. It's a handful. It compares to a 44 mag Mountain Gun.

As far as hunting, I'd venture to say that a 230gr Gold Dot doing 1200 FPS will severely fuck-up any living creature on this continent. It will prolly turn inside out at that velocity. Double Tap's 230 @ 1000 FPS penetrates 15" of jello and expands to 1". Add another 200 FPS to that and you should see even more penetration.

Quoted:
I have searched google extensively, but there isn't much out there? I was under the impression that only a barrel and recoil spring had to be changed, and mags, dies, etc were interchangeable.

Can someone show me where .45 super has the same energy as the .460? I know the .460 gets around 1000ft/lbs out of a 5 inch barrel. I won't be shooting a lot of whichever caliber I choose, and I will have a dedicated gun, so switching back and forth isn't a concern for me.

Does anyone have .45 Super first hand experience they can share in a hunting application, or even just reloading?

Quoted:
Quoted:
45 Super is mo better.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I did look at the Ace Custom sight. I was wondering if the 45 Super would beat up the gun more than the 460 because of the lack of comp on the 45 Super kit. The 460 has a bit better ft/lbs data too.

To shoot 45 Super, wouldnt I basically only need a new recoil spring? It seems like a lot of what Ace is selling is unnecessary if using a 1911 with quality parts in it already.

If I have a flat firing pin stop installed, and use a 26# recoil spring can I shoot 45super?
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not that simple.

You can't just install a 26lb recoil spring and a flat tipped firing pin. The Firing pin is shortened so that it does not drag on the primer and break prematurely.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is a chart that I snagged from this article: The 460 Rowland...
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Tippman9/460RowlandChart.jpg

To me it seems that the Rowland has much more power although I am sure there are people who can debate the figures offered. Check out the article, its 2 pages and gives alot of info on the conversion.

My vote is still for the rowland, the tranformation seems to be easy and comes with everything you need: Barrel, spring, FLGR, comensator, etc.

You can use the same dies as regular .45 acp, but have to buy special casings. I believe they are reasonably priced. $28 per 100. Plus you will have the wow factor and also eliminate the possibility(albeit small if your not an idiot) of chambering a 45 super in your other regular .45acp pistols.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't get in the Real Guns site for some reason?
I get this message:

The Real Guns site is intended for personal use and individual access. Please do not download the site locally or connect with bulk retrieval software.

It taxes system resources and downgrades service to others. If you believe you received this message in error, please send us an email.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top