Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:56:47 PM EDT
I'll be looking to finally replace my field handgun soon (sold it early last year). It was a S&W 629 with a 7.5" full-lug barrel. It was a bit too big and heavy to lug around comfortably (especially when carrying a rifle). I've narrowed it down to a 4" Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum or a Glock 20. They're both almost ideal for my uses, with the Glock being the more "packable" pistol and the Taurus being the more powerful. So the question remains, double the power or triple the capacity?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of the two choices, I would go with the G20; If the .44 mag revolver was a Smith (like a 629 with a 4" barrel), then I would go with a Smith.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be satisfied anywhere in the states with a 10mm. For Alaska, get something bigger or have the discipline to keep your rifle near.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'll be looking to finally replace my field handgun soon (sold it early last year). It was a S&W 629 with a 7.5" full-lug barrel. It was a bit too big and heavy to lug around comfortably (especially when carrying a rifle). I've narrowed it down to a 4" Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum or a Glock 20. They're both almost ideal for my uses, with the Glock being the more "packable" pistol and the Taurus being the more powerful. So the question remains, double the power or triple the capacity?
I'd take 10mm and it's increased ammo capacity.  Personally I'd rather have the increased capacity to apply as many points of hurt as possible on anything trying to eat me.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
In Florida dangerous people are the greater concern.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't think of any land animals in Florida that need anything bigger than 9mm.

Are you planning to shoot aligators?

If you're going to Alaska to shoot bears, Glock 20 + longslide = 15 rounds of .41 Magnum power rounds.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
My 2 hunting/hiking/field sidearms are a 44 blackhawk 5 1/2in or G20. I tend to carry the G20 more often w/ 2 extra magazines. 45 rounds of hot loaded 10mm, is it excessive, probably, do I ever plan on using it, I hope the hell not. Of the 2 you offered up, I'd take the G20 hands down. I can't bash the taurus, never owned one. Never said I wouldn't own. I have just heard too many problems with them to make them a ass on the line gun. That is my concern with them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
10mm would be the right choice....change a barrel and you have a 40sw or 357 sig for play or a 10mm-9x25 dillon business.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My 2 hunting/hiking/field sidearms are a 44 blackhawk 5 1/2in or G20. I tend to carry the G20 more often w/ 2 extra magazines. 45 rounds of hot loaded 10mm, is it excessive, probably, do I ever plan on using it, I hope the hell not. Of the 2 you offered up, I'd take the G20 hands down. I can't bash the taurus, never owned one. Never said I wouldn't own. I have just heard too many problems with them to make them a ass on the line gun. That is my concern with them.

I've seen more than a few Taurus revolvers (mostly the j-frame size) puke their guts out, and even some pretty major problems on some of their semi auto's.
The Taurus 1911's and compact conceal carry pieces always seemed to work well though. Never was around enough of the larger caliber revolvers to get a feel for them.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:44:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Glock G20, you'll probably shoot it better.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you get a factory Glock 20 SF with a longslide 5.5 inch barrel?  Went to the website recently and found no info-despite them showing a pic of it
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope. Aftermarket 6".
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm hiking or fishing in the Everglades several days each week, and my usual daily carry, an M&P .40 or SiG P 220 is all I need.

As has already been said, in Florida, its  people that pose the danger rather than the wildlife and our wildlife can be dispatched, if need be,  with a service caliber carry gun.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm hiking or fishing in the Everglades several days each week, and my usual daily carry, an M&P .40 or SiG P 220 is all I need.

As has already been said, in Florida, its  people that pose the danger rather than the wildlife and our wildlife can be dispatched, if need be,  with a service caliber carry gun.

As usual AF, I agree with you. For some reason Florida has attracted a lot of scumbags in recent years. Atlanta too but that's another story to tell.

OP, of your two choices I would get the G20. Taurus' simply suck in anything except their Beretta 92 clone. There are exceptions but they are hit or miss. If you have to have a .44mag then get a S&W and save yourself the trouble.

I personally would be satisfied with a .40 caliber M&P midsize, a good concealment holster.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Pie!!

I choose capacity!  Just not in the form of a Glock..
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Out of the two choices, I would go with the G20; If the .44 mag revolver was a Smith (like a 629 with a 4" barrel), then I would go with a Smith.

I don't have to spell something out when this guy reads my mind.

Anyone who has owned and shot a 629 isn't likely to get much satisfaction from a tracker

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd rather have a 4" Ruger Redhawk .44mag (I'm still wanting one myself).

Out of your two choices, I'd take the Glock, especially for your location.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got many glocks, but the 44 mag is just such an awesome rounds.  I've got a ruger super redhawk, about 8 inch barrel i believe.  i only carry it when I''m hunting.  haven't had a chance to shoot a deer yet, but it's been my plan.  I know a 10mm would work too, but they're two completely different purpose built firearms. I sure wouldn't ccw my Ruger, but might the 10mm.

If you've got a couple glocks alreaady, got back and buy your Smith 29 or pick up a super red hawk.  It's always the firearm my grown nephews want to shoot, they don't much care for vanilla semi.  

I've got a G30, sometime i'll pick up a 10mm barrel for it and add yet another caliber to stock.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I voted for the Glock because I don't like Taurus.  Personally I wouldn't buy 10mm just because ammo is less common to find.  If I did get one it would be a Colt Delta Elite.

For a field gun, I myself would get a Ruger Super Alaskan in .454/.45Colt
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#22]
All I can add is that if it was me, I think I would handload some for the 10mm. Get a hotter than normal HP, just in case. Handloads should be ok since your not EDCing it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Pie!!

It's probably one of, if not THE strongest and most reliable higher capacity 10mm's available.  The G20 was designed FOR the 10mm round itself.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Pie!!

It's probably one of, if not THE strongest and most reliable higher capacity 10mm's available.  The G20 was designed FOR the 10mm round itself.

Just a personal preference!  Not a Glock fan.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Some very good points.

On my residence...I travel north from time to time, and we're tentatively having discussions about going on a hog hunt. I'm in Florida now, but that doesn't mean I'm staying indefinitely.

On caliber...I LOVE the 44 Magnum. It's not so much the size but the width of a 6-shot .44's that is a thorn in my side. Having that caliber in a small practical size appeals to me.

Going from a 'Smith to a Taurus does seem like a massive downgrade. I've heard plenty of things gone wrong with both, but the S&W triggers can be set up really nicely and there's a general public perception of better quality and quality control overall. I checked out a Tracker in a local shop and that gun did impress. I'm sure buying one sight unseen may be a gamble, especially used.

The Glock would probably make a real fun blaster with full house loads. That's another other reason for purchasing such a handgun. I like having a powerful, flat shooting blaster for simply tearing things up and testing long range hand-gunning skills. Otherwise, most of the time a 1911 is my companion.

My 629 was the most accurate handgun I have ever fired, period. It's the only one I've been able to clover-leaf shots at 25 yards, and match my Mini-14 at 100 (both wearing Aimpoints). The inherent accuracy potential of a properly built revolver should not be ignored.

Thanks all for your input. I'm still not sure
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Well since you state a 1911 is your normal companion have you considered a .460 Rowland conversion for your 1911?  The way I understand it, basically gives your 1911 44mag ballistics.
http://460rowland.com/
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Also remember the .44 Magnum loaded with Buffalo Bore can generate 1300+lbs of energy from a 4incher with a 340 grain lead solid, and they have a host of devastating bear/game rounds too, if you were Alaska bound or in really big critter country.  Dual role, in the U.S, the Glock in 10mm is really hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Something else to consider is controlability.  The 44 mag in any revolver is a handful and most people, myself included, would have a hard time controlling it.  Further, practicing at the range would usually consist of 6-12 rds and then the wrist is hurting and you've had enough.  I can't shoot much more than 6 rds of a friend's 44 mag in his S&W 6" model 629 that weighs 45 oz empty.  Your 4" Tracker weighs only 34 oz empty and will have a recoil you really need to shoot to understand.  Talk about slow followup shots!!

Compare that with the G20 and heavy load 10mm ammo.  Even though I have a damaged shooting wrist (crushed in car wreck 50 yrs ago), I've shot more than 200 rds of hot 10mm ammo at a single outing without any pain.  Further, I don't find the recoil of even my 'nuclear' handloads to be anywhere near as punishing as a 44 mag's.  It's also very accurate even out to 200 yds ......................... yes, I said I shoot my G20L at plates at 200 yds!!   Why?  Because the G20, like every semi-auto made, has a better grip and is more controllable than any, yes, any brand of revolver made no matter who's it is or what grips it has.  It's all about bore axis, grip shape, and recoil impulse through that steel frame.

I'm quite comfortable with my G20L and 17+1 rds of 200 grn hardcast (yep, 3 times the 44's load) when I'm up in the Rockies because I've got the firepower to defend myself from any 2 or 4 legged threat I'll encounter and the ability to shoot it quickly and accurately as well even single handed.  Try that will a 44 mag!

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Taurus????   Nooooooo

Glock
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#31]
629 Mountain Gun ... The 44 Mag is my favorite caliber and the Mountain Gun is my favorite 44.

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I voted Glock, or "Not Taurus", by that I mean get a Smith or a Ruger.

Please don't buy a Taurus, treat yourself to something nice.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Glock.  I've HEARD of too many problems with Taurus to trust my life to one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In Florida dangerous people are the greater concern.

AMEN!!!

OP

Never was a 44mag type of guy after shooting full power 357mag loads
I`d rather have the Glock 10mm even if I lived in brown bear country

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Phil Shoemaker said in a post on another forum that hard casts from a Glock 20 would be ok so there you have it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yup. An old 29-2 in good shape and with a 4inch barrel would be my first choice. Taurus is pretty far down the list of guns to buy.

Given the choices presented the Glock is the better option.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Something else to consider is controlability.  The 44 mag in any revolver is a handful and most people, myself included, would have a hard time controlling it.  Further, practicing at the range would usually consist of 6-12 rds and then the wrist is hurting and you've had enough.  I can't shoot much more than 6 rds of a friend's 44 mag in his S&W 6" model 629 that weighs 45 oz empty.  Your 4" Tracker weighs only 34 oz empty and will have a recoil you really need to shoot to understand.  Talk about slow followup shots!!

Compare that with the G20 and heavy load 10mm ammo.  Even though I have a damaged shooting wrist (crushed in car wreck 50 yrs ago), I've shot more than 200 rds of hot 10mm ammo at a single outing without any pain.  Further, I don't find the recoil of even my 'nuclear' handloads to be anywhere near as punishing as a 44 mag's.  It's also very accurate even out to 200 yds ......................... yes, I said I shoot my G20L at plates at 200 yds!!   Why?  Because the G20, like every semi-auto made, has a better grip and is more controllable than any, yes, any brand of revolver made no matter who's it is or what grips it has.  It's all about bore axis, grip shape, and recoil impulse through that steel frame.

I'm quite comfortable with my G20L and 17+1 rds of 200 grn hardcast (yep, 3 times the 44's load) when I'm up in the Rockies because I've got the firepower to defend myself from any 2 or 4 legged threat I'll encounter and the ability to shoot it quickly and accurately as well even single handed.  Try that will a 44 mag!  

That's a good point. My hand broke at the wrist decades ago and has been "shocked" repeatedly by motorcycle accidents and contact sports. I could shoot about 40-50 rounds before my hand would involuntarily shake due to the pain. Seems to be getting worse as the last time I was at that point much sooner. There is always .44 special, but I like to practice as it'll be used. Shooting double action accurately is also slow for me.

That longslide in your profile looks bitchin.'
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My 629 was the most accurate handgun I have ever fired, period. I]

Thats because S&W knows how to make a revolver.

I cant match the accuracy of a S&W K or L frame 357mag and using 38spl 148gr WC
Ive came very close with Sig & Colt Combat Elite

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got a G-20 as something capable of busting a Black Bear.

I had two encounters this with a Mama Blackie and her Cubs(mabey the same one, mabey different, about 4 miles and two months apart).

Of course, being on the AT, I was concealing my G-19 both times.  Damn glad Mama was reasonable both times.

"Oh fuck!  I am carrying a 9mm!"  was the first thought I had both times.

I know that feeling....
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#40]
The fanbois came out in force on this one!
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I have both a Glock Model 20 and a S&W 629 Mountain Gun. I recently put the Hogue S&W 500 grip on the Mtn gun. It is now controllable for me. Where I live, power really isn’t an issue, but if I were going into the North West, I would prefer the .44. If I was going to Alaska, I would carry my .500.

I have no interest in anything by Taurus.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't have any use for 10mm and I'm not a big fan of Glock, but I'd take an abused G20 in 10mm over anything Taurus makes.

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I would be comfortable with the Glock, I wouldn't trust a Taurus especially a smallish .44 Mag. A Ruger Redhawk or S&W 629 would be good. Even a 686 or GP-100 with heavy .357 loads would be a solid choice.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have any use for 10mm and I'm not a big fan of Glock, but I'd take an abused G20 in 10mm over anything Taurus makes.

Heh
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Glock.  I've HEARD HAD too many problems with Taurus to trust my life to one.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I had a Redhawk in 44, but replaced it with a Glock 20.  Loved the 44, but it was too big to conceal, and the insane recoil made follow up shots difficult.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good point. My hand broke at the wrist decades ago and has been "shocked" repeatedly by motorcycle accidents and contact sports. I could shoot about 40-50 rounds before my hand would involuntarily shake due to the pain. Seems to be getting worse as the last time I was at that point much sooner. There is always .44 special, but I like to practice as it'll be used. Shooting double action accurately is also slow for me.
That longslide in your profile looks bitchin.'

(Caution - shameless opportunity to show my toys!)
You mean this one show here as a G21L with my Jarvis blue steel 45acp barrel?

Versus it shown here as a G20L with my stainless steel KKM 45-10mm conversion barrel installed.

BTW, I like it so much I converted my G22 into a custom G24.

I think that they make a nice pair.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#48]
How fast do the 220s go from the long barrel.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#49]
These have my interest as well. I have a CZ and feel that pattern has the best ergonomics of any double stack pistol I've ever come across.

The standard line with the round-top slides have been problematic but the Elite line is GTG.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I have had both, I'll take a 629 or even a 686 or the G20.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top