Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 62
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So it's the coating on the mags that is stoping this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They could if they'd ditch the polymer coating.  They won't.

So it's the coating on the mags that is stoping this?
Yes.  If you go way back in this thread you can see where I made 15rd mags for the 43X/48 by using heavily modified G17 mags.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've tried to make them work..
View Quote
Have you tried using OEM G19 springs and followers?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why can't glock make a damn mag that holds 15 rounds for the 43X or48?
We should put pressure on them..something like email all with the same questions!
View Quote

Probably so that they can be sold in commie states that only allow 10 rounders?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
A little PSA, don't bother with the Shield Arms "standard" mag catch. I had it and it barely took any pressure to release the magazine. I contacted Shield Arms and told them of my problem and they gave me a discount for their premium mag catch after sending them a few pictures of everything installed. It's a night and day difference between the two. The premium catch is machined, not cast and it has a ALOT more surface area to lock in the magazine. The only thing the standard catch does is have the ability to be flipped around to right or left handed while the premium catch needs to be ordered for left OR right handed. Not a big deal since I doubt people flip the catch around after they set it up the way they want it the first time. Honestly, Shield Arms might have better reviews if they just discontinued the standard catch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Makes me sick!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why can't glock make a damn mag that holds 15 rounds for the 43X or48?
We should put pressure on them..something like email all with the same questions!

They make 10rd mags for their bigger guns, pretty sure that has nothing to do with it.  The G43X/48 mag is actually the same steel sleeve that's in the G19 10rd mag, just a different polymer shell.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably because 10 rounds is all that will fit in a standard glock magazine, which is metal with a polymer sleeve.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Probably because 10 rounds is all that will fit in a standard glock magazine, which is metal with a polymer sleeve.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which makes me wonder how PSA is going to make fifteen rounds happen in the Dagger Micro/G43x magazine. Maybe some sort of hybrid metal magazine with just enough polymer to keep it from wearing the oem mag catch. If it actually materializes, I feel like they'll sell way more magazines to G43x/G48 owners than the actual Dagger Micro itself.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Which makes me wonder how PSA is going to make fifteen rounds happen in the Dagger Micro/G43x magazine. Maybe some sort of hybrid metal magazine with just enough polymer to keep it from wearing the oem mag catch. If it actually materializes, I feel like they'll sell way more magazines to G43x/G48 owners than the actual Dagger Micro itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine they're using a steel mag and catch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m betting it will be like the promag. Metal body and plastic for the mag catch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@Henny

loved the videos above. great content. I've noticed that the same malfunction you're having will happen with mine when I use the slide stop / release doing a mag change and returning it to battery. However I haven't had a problem through 1000+ rds when I slingshot the slide. I don't train to use the slide release / stop personally but everyone trains differently. Have you noticed the same?
View Quote

It’s interesting.  The whole time I carried a gun for a living, I always would slingshot the slide.  When I retired and started shooting 2 and 3 gun, I started training with the slide release.  You know, shaving .1s of seconds off here and there. It didn’t even cross my mind to slingshot, since I’ve been using the slide stop / release for the past 10 or so years.

One thing that popped in my mind with your comment…

Due to the Glocks factory magazine thickness, I wonder if the SA magazines sit further back in the magazine well ( note the half circle protrusion on the front face of the magazine to possibly compensate for the thickness?)  and with some guns the slide stop doesn’t hold the slide back just enough and causes that type of malfunction?  

Believe me, I really want to use the SA magazines, but I just don’t have the confidence in them at this point.

I did email SA to see what they say.  I know the last time their customer service was excellent, even though all my problems weren’t resolved. Before this batch of magazines, I had this type of failure to feed and a failure to eject issue.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you tried using OEM G19 springs and followers?
View Quote

No, I haven’t!

Hmmm, maybe I’ll have to reinstall the SA magazine catch in my one gun and try this…
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It’s interesting.  The whole time I carried a gun for a living, I always would slingshot the slide.  When I retired and started shooting 2 and 3 gun, I started training with the slide release.  You know, shaving .1s of seconds off here and there. It didn’t even cross my mind to slingshot, since I’ve been using the slide stop / release for the past 10 or so years.

One thing that popped in my mind with your comment…

Due to the Glocks factory magazine thickness, I wonder if the SA magazines sit further back in the magazine well ( note the half circle protrusion on the front face of the magazine to possibly compensate for the thickness?)  and with some guns the slide stop doesn’t hold the slide back just enough and causes that type of malfunction?  

Believe me, I really want to use the SA magazines, but I just don’t have the confidence in them at this point.

I did email SA to see what they say.  I know the last time their customer service was excellent, even though all my problems weren’t resolved. Before this batch of magazines, I had this type of failure to feed and a failure to eject issue.
View Quote

One thing I and others have noted is that the S15s rock back and forth in the magwell.  They definitely fit more loosely than OEM.  

Not sure if that's related, but could go along with your theory.  

But it doesn't happen to all of em.  Seems to be either those with zero problems, or those who just can't get them to work no matter what.  Really weird.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

One thing I and others have noted is that the S15s rock back and forth in the magwell.  They definitely fit more loosely than OEM.  

Not sure if that's related, but could go along with your theory.  

But it doesn't happen to all of em.  Seems to be either those with zero problems, or those who just can't get them to work no matter what.  Really weird.
View Quote

Isn’t that the truth!

By the way, good to see you over in the drill thread!  

Be a shooter, not a collector!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Isn’t that the truth!

By the way, good to see you over in the drill thread!  

Be a shooter, not a collector!
View Quote

Thank you!

I collect what my wife lets me, but I shoot em all.

Dug about 1/3 of my guns out yesterday.  She was mad and told me to GTFO the house.  OK, will do

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you!

I collect what my wife lets me, but I shoot em all.

Dug about 1/3 of my guns out yesterday.  She was mad and told me to GTFO the house.  OK, will do

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/555888/IMG_0301__3__jpg-2489547.JPG

View Quote

That looks like a good day!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to PSA it’ll be polymer and work with the factory mag catch.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

According to PSA it'll be polymer and work with the factory mag catch.
View Quote
Something like the ProMag then probably.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Recently picked up a 43x on a trade from the EE. Cleaned it up, added a couple basics and started testing the shield arms magazines.

Purchased 2 new mags and mag release from PA a few weeks ago. Bought a new mag yesterday local. All 3 have grey followers but there are differences in the baseplates and even slight differences in the spring appearance and mag finish. Have there been rolling changes im the Gen2 mags? I know they changed Gen1 to Gen2 sometime back

Only issue I have had so far is with the +5 exts I purchased here on the EE used. I installed 1 on 1 of the new mags from the first 2 mags I bought. It was running fine but has now started having ftfeed on some of my bulk ammo. Started to think.it was an ammo problem (or maybe even due to adding the TLR7sub the same day?) But the spring looks twisted when I pulled the baseplate. Anyone had this issue? Im guessing it needs at least a new spring. Not sure of the previous round count but I have about 400rds through this single mag

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Recently picked up a 43x on a trade from the EE. Cleaned it up, added a couple basics and started testing the shield arms magazines.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497583/20220817_134623-2493654.jpg

Purchased 2 new mags and mag release from PA a few weeks ago. Bought a new mag yesterday local. All 3 have grey followers but there are differences in the baseplates and even slight differences in the spring appearance and mag finish. Have there been rolling changes im the Gen2 mags? I know they changed Gen1 to Gen2 sometime back

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497583/20220817_214112-2493648.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497583/20220817_214124-2493649.jpg

Only issue I have had so far is with the +5 exts I purchased here on the EE used. I installed 1 on 1 of the new mags from the first 2 mags I bought. It was running fine but has now started having ftfeed on some of my bulk ammo. Started to think.it was an ammo problem (or maybe even due to adding the TLR7sub the same day?) But the spring looks twisted when I pulled the baseplate. Anyone had this issue? Im guessing it needs at least a new spring. Not sure of the previous round count but I have about 400rds through this single mag

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497583/20220817_214140-2493653.jpg
View Quote

That actualy looks normal, fo ra stnadard mag...factory glock mag springs have that twist in them, though i can't say why.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes there have been rolling changes to the gen 2 mags. I recently bought the aluminum +0 baseplates for all my shield arms mags (6 total). I had 2 of the smaller thinner baseplates and the other four had the 3 cut outs. The newer ones have the 3 cut outs and are thicker. I think it helps keep the movement of the mag down to a minimum when inserted in the firearm. I highly recommend the aluminum baseplates due to the stiffness and durability. It makes my shield mags feel like a tank.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Any preference on which finish option? I see blued, Powercron, Nickel and black nickel. I was leaning towards nickel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497583/20220817_134623-2493654.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/497583/20220817_214140-2493653.jpg
View Quote

So I spoke to Shield Arms and got new springs for my +5 extensions. Their service department seems to be pretty helpful and shipping was super quick for these replacements.

Cleaned all the magazine bodies and installed new spring in the 20rd mag Ive been having issues with.

Went to the range and still having trouble with multiple fail to feeds. This is happening pretty badly on both my bulk reloads AND factory JHP. I tried some 124gr and some 124gr +P both had issues. Only other thing I tried was running a full magazine of Blazer brass and it ran fine with no hangups

Ill note the 15rd mag Ive been using since new has 30 loadings on it after today and has been 100%.

Next thing Ill try is changing the extension to a different mag body and see if the issue stays with the body or extension I guess.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#24]
In an effort to get the S15 magazines working in one of my three pistols, I contacted SA through their website.

They related their magazines are all in specification and the mag catches are undamaged.

I guess all three of my unmodified ( other than their magazine catch ) Glocks are all out of specification.

I might try slingshot reloading like jte3470 suggested.

But I have to admit, at this point My confidence in them is pretty nonexistent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Anybody else aware of the soon to be released Palmetto State Armory Micro Dagger 15rd magazines that will be compatible with our 43x, 48's? The PSA magazines will allegedly work with the stock 43x and 48 magazine catches. If they do function properly, Shield Arms is in trouble because the PSA magazines I'm assuming won't cost as much as the SA magazines.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anybody else aware of the soon to be released Palmetto State Armory Micro Dagger 15rd magazines that will be compatible with our 43x, 48's? The PSA magazines will allegedly work with the stock 43x and 48 magazine catches. If they do function properly, Shield Arms is in trouble because the PSA magazines I'm assuming won't cost as much as the SA magazines.
View Quote

I’ve heard about them, all I can say is GOOD!  These SA magazines have been a pain. I’ve given them more chances than any other gun part, and I’m still not satisfied.  

I will try the slingshot reload, for one last chance….
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m cautiously hopeful, though they seem to be getting pushed back. It they are out by the end of year I’d be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’ve heard about them, all I can say is GOOD!  These SA magazines have been a pain. I’ve given them more chances than any other gun part, and I’m still not satisfied.  

View Quote

I finally gave up on them. I can’t trust them in a carry gun. If my life is on the line “I’d rather have 11 guaranteed rounds than 15 maybe rounds”
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I finally gave up on them. I can’t trust them in a carry gun. If my life is on the line “I’d rather have 11 guaranteed rounds than 15 maybe rounds”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that’s pretty much where I’m at.  I think it would take a lot for me to trust them.

If ever.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC, PSA is supposed to send @ArizonaRifleman one when they’re released. He may have more info.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I’m cautiously hopeful, though they seem to be getting pushed back. It they are out by the end of year I’d be pleasantly surprised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cautiously hopeful is the right way to view PSA’s announcements. They deliver a ton of awesome stuff at awesome prices. They also occasionally don’t.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#34]
came back to this hoping someone had an update that the SA mags are good now, or that the PSA mags are out... but alas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Another box of ammo through mine this week without issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
came back to this hoping someone had an update that the SA mags are good now, or that the PSA mags are out... but alas.

Another box of ammo through mine this week without issues.

I’m envious
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#37]
My 15rd mags continue to run well.

The 20 rd have issues still even with brand new springs.

The 15+5's will run Blazer brass but not my reloads or JHP carry ammo (Tried HST, GD, WIN DEF) without having multiple fail to feed in a full mag.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, that’s pretty much where I’m at.  I think it would take a lot for me to trust them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:I’ve heard about them, all I can say is GOOD!  These SA magazines have been a pain. I’ve given them more chances than any other gun part, and I’m still not satisfied.

Afraid I'm too spoiled by how my 17/19/26/34/21/30/45 run with 20+ year-old mags that get stomped on and then cleaned off by swishing them around in a mud puddle.

I would say "Nice try, Shield".
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Afraid I'm too spoiled by how my 17/19/26/34/21/30/45 run with 20+ year-old mags that get stomped on and then cleaned off by swishing them around in a mud puddle.

I would say "Nice try, Shield".
View Quote

Isn’t that the truth!
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#40]
For the +5 extensions, has anyone tried running a Grahams Engineering Spring to get a bit more pressure for reliable feeding?

I know they can be used in P320 mags and was wondering if anyone knows (Google was unhelpful)

The shield arms spring is 12 coil and Grahams makes a 13. Might do the trick if they fit. Also the Grahams 11 coil may be a good replacement for the 10 coil in the 15rd mags (assuming they fit as well)

I may order some springs to try it out
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So it's the coating on the mags that is stopping this?
View Quote

I ran into the same issue with my G36 and S&W M&P 45C (gen 1) years ago; guns almost identical in external dimensions.  G36 holds 6+1, but M&P 8-round mag slides right into the Glock's mag well.  The difference is the polymer and the mag design.  The Glock is single-stack; the S&W has no polymer coating and is what they termed a 'gentle double-stack.'  Or something similar; I forget exactly.  I kept the S&W and sold the Glock.

As far as ProMag products... As long as (nearly) anyone else makes a mag that I need, I'll avoid ProMag products.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm confused by people that refuse to give the S15 a chance in their own guns based on a few peoples reports that it doesn't run right in their guns.  Meanwhile many of us are reporting that they run great.  So get yourself one or two, try them out.  If they don't work, sucks that you're one of the unlucky few.  If they do work, you just got a 50% boost in capacity.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I have 4 with the SA mag catch. Not a single issue.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Just ran through about 300 rounds with my 43X and S15 magazines (SA magazine release installed).

No malfunctions at all. Quite happy with the results.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I figure it's time to buy some. They should hopefully have a nice Black Friday sale this year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just ran through about 300 rounds with my 43X and S15 magazines (SA magazine release installed).

View Quote

Damn, I read stuff like this and I have to wonder why I can’t get them to run in my 3 guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Damn, I read stuff like this and I have to wonder why I can’t get them to run in my 3 guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right there with you my friend. I was shooting with a friend who claimed his mags were flawless. He had 3 malfunctions while we were out. My OEM mags were 100% reliable as expected.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:56:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Damn, I read stuff like this and I have to wonder why I can't get them to run in my 3 guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I read stuff like this and I have to wonder why I can't get them to run in my 3 guns.
There's definitely some tolerance stacking going on.  Shield could have done a better job designing them as well.  A mag that took up the entire magwell with an internal spacer in the back would likely have worked better.  The rib on the front forces the rounds further back in the feed cycle, causes issues with mag catch engagement in some guns, and was overall just a poor choice.  But it's not necessarily a problem in all guns, just some of them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There's definitely some tolerance stacking going on.  Shield could have done a better job designing them as well.  A mag that took up the entire magwell with an internal spacer in the back would likely have worked better.  The rib on the front forces the rounds further back in the feed cycle, causes issues with mag catch engagement in some guns, and was overall just a poor choice.  But it's not necessarily a problem in all guns, just some of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, just the three of my pistols with 6 different magazines.

I truly believe you’re right about the ridge along the front putting the rounds too far back.  In my posted videos, I have no doubt that’s the culprit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is crazy the variance in peoples experience with these.

My Gen2s have been great.

I wonder if theres a correlation between the reliability and frame type (43, 48, 43x, MOS etc)
Page / 62
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top