Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2024 2:28:35 PM EDT
So I've had a 686-6 for ever and rarely shoot it.

Only just occured to me I could have the barrel changed out.  

I see Midway used to have them, anyone know where to source a 4" barrel?

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a 3" off ebay.  Numerich is also a good place to look.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Swapping barrels isn’t as easy as it looks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#3]
Find yourself a gunsmith first before you start wandering the internet for parts. A lot of the very good smiths have massive lead times.

Honestly, selling your 6" and then replacing it with a 4" would be a hell of a lot easier. (and cheaper)
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Honestly, selling your 6" and then replacing it with a 4" would be a hell of a lot easier. (and cheaper)
View Quote

I've found old posts saying it's about $250 w/parts to get a smith to do it...

10 years ago

If I sell it, I won't be buying another.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Swapping barrels isn’t as easy as it looks.
View Quote

So I've come to find out.

Need to trim the threads apparently.

Some recommend just having the barrel cut down as easier.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:

So I've come to find out.

Need to trim the threads apparently.

Some recommend just having the barrel cut down as easier.
View Quote

Whelp, looking at it, you'd be cutting it into the "Smith" on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know the gunsmith charges tp swap barrels or to chop one back but I would be very surprised if it ended up cheaper than selling or trading the present one and buying the desired one.

From what I hear many decent gunsmiths have crazy lead times and you might be waiting many many months to have completed gun in hand.

trading in the one gun for another gives you a factory gun in hand with a known resale value.

If you have anything but a factory barrel installed or the smith does anything but a supper job you wind up with something of dubious value in the resale market.

Custom gunsmith work is in many respects like haveing custom work done to a classic or vintage car.  It is one thing to dump money into a project to get a result you really desire but the money you spend is not going to be reflected 100% in future value of the item
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:
So I've had a 686-6 for ever and rarely shoot it.

Only just occured to me I could have the barrel changed out.  

I see Midway used to have them, anyone know where to source a 4" barrel?

View Quote

You know, I asked this same question only a week or two ago, ended up selling the 686 for a pre-lock 4" 586.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
You know, I asked this same question only a week or two ago, ended up selling the 686 for a pre-lock 4" 586.
View Quote

Very nice!  Do you mind if I ask what the 586 costs?  Would love to pick up a prelock 586 sometime to go with my 686.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KentuckyMarksman:

Very nice!  Do you mind if I ask what the 586 costs?  Would love to pick up a prelock 586 sometime to go with my 686.
View Quote

Well, for me it was $216 with tax, but that was also with trading in the 686 for $500. So $700 total. But it was also a matter of timing and luck, my 586 didn't even have a sales tag, as it was traded in that. Morning.

Pre-locks are, from what I've come to understand, pretty darn valuable. You are more likely to find a modern 586 with a lock over a pre-lock 586, unless you are lucky and find a used one at a gun shop.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:

Well, for me it was $216 with tax, but that was also with trading in the 686 for $500. So $700 total. But it was also a matter of timing and luck, my 586 didn't even have a sales tag, as it was traded in that. Morning.

Pre-locks are, from what I've come to understand, pretty darn valuable. You are more likely to find a modern 586 with a lock over a pre-lock 586, unless you are lucky and find a used one at a gun shop.
View Quote

Good info, thanks!

I picked up a pre-lock 4" 686 a few weeks ago for $625.  I like blued guns so was wondering what your 586 set you back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have a solid bench vise and some aluminum barrel blocks you can buy a MGW revolver wrench.  The wrench is $109 and the inserts that are frame specific are 40.  

Spin out barrel is easy enough if not pinned.  

Compare length of threaded sections.  If used it may be ok.
You’ll need the gun to time so the sights are TDC and may need to adjust that later for zeroing.
You’ll need to check the cylinder gap with feeler gages
You should ensure that your barrel and cylinder chambers are in line.  There is a rod for that.

Assuming you don’t need to set a barrel shoulder back a home shop can do it. There are hand tools to cut barrel faces and forcing cones.

Fitting and timing a cylinder or a crane is a whole nother can of worms.

Just the wrench and insert is $150.  Now figure a barrel cost.  Then you have to hope a used barrel wasn’t cut more than your gun needs.  

Lord I wish I had the boxes of smith parts and tools our retired department armored had.  He was a king of  Smith armored work.  So good the trooper team shooters would sneak their pistols to him instead of their own guy.   When he died of cancer I heard all that stuff got dumpstered.....grips, barrels hands, springs, sights, screws.   The only thing he didn’t have as stock was the frames.  All the department gear for revolvers was at his house and not wanted by the department after they switched to Glocks before he retired.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
There is always the S&W custom shop.  While they’re not as bad as the floor assemblers I still hear too many unhappy stories even out of the custom shop.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
usagunsandgear.com

If you’re still looking, their inventory comes and goes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have sometimes wondered what a 686 with a 4 1/2 or 5inch barrel might feel and balance like?

Hmmm?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
I have sometimes wondered what a 686 with a 4 1/2 or 5inch barrel might feel and balance like?

Hmmm?
View Quote

A five inch barrel on any Smith balances well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 3:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#17]
Originally Posted By nhsport:

Hmmm?
View Quote

They've made several 5" guns just keep your eye out for one. I always like the odd numbered barrel lengths with 3" being one of my favorites.

Couple they list as current
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/l-frame-150854

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/l-frame-11760
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top