Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2024 12:13:34 PM EDT
Finally shot the new Bodyguard I bought and was disappointed to have three no fires from light strikes.  Two fired on the second trigger pull but one round took three trigger pulls to fire. Happened each time on slow pulling of the trigger. Is this a common problem with this model?  
I Also had one rounds empty case partially eject and get caught between the slide and barrel while blowing partially burnt powder back in my face. Any thought on what might cause that? Thanks.

Also is the slide supposed to release on its own when a mag is inserted ?  It happened twice out of maybe eight magazine insertions.  Thanks for any input or thought about these few things.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never experienced those kinds of issues.
Have you tried multiple brands of ammo?

ETA: I've heard of slides releasing like that on numerous types of guns, it's not that unusual.  But again it doesn't happen on mine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Figures I would get the "one". I'll take a few brands of ammo next time to try I guess but you could tell the light strike was coming by the way it felt when the trigger released the hammer.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If it does this consistently with major brands of factory ammo, send it back to S&W, they'll make right.
Diagnosing the root cause of light strikes isn't hard to do. Maybe a weak spring, maybe a burr somewhere to be buffed out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You are milking the trigger instead of pulling it hard like you mean it.

Not recommended. Use a target pistol if you plan to milk the trigger.

Why is the choice of ammunition not mentioned?
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 2:18:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine only does it on ammo inc “streak”, my EZ runs it fine though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one FTF on GECO ball.
Fired on second strike.

Various other flavors of BALL range ammo have been fine. But I do pull the trigger rapidly. On purpose. Same as I would if I were using it to convince someone to GET OFF ME. I don’t understand the slow trigger-pull thing with nearly sightless guns when training.

I have two 380 BG’s
Carry ammo is Hornady Critical Defense.
About 50 rounds of that expensive stuff through each.
100% function.

I rarely shoot those guns.
Once reliability is established, I’m just not interested in having “range sessions” with those guns. I just need to know they are functional and reliable with the ammo I intend to carry.
Which they are.

If you need to “practice” your self-defense skills vis-a-vis the BG380, 99% of it is MENTAL PRACTICE.

If you need to practice “draw from concealment,” you can do that in your garage without burning even one expensive round of carry-ammo.

It’s a five-foot gun.
To be fired rapidly, and by simply POINTING.
If you are asking it to do something else, I encourage you to re-think your objective.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are milking the trigger instead of pulling it hard like you mean it.

Not recommended. Use a target pistol if you plan to milk the trigger.

Why is the choice of ammunition not mentioned?
View Quote

The ammo is not mentioned because I threw the box away and have maybe a dozen brands since I bought a bunch over the years when I found it cheap for my M11 380. I will pay more attention next time I guess being a S&W I did not think it would be picky.  I was definitely doing what you call milking the trigger most shots because I was trying to check the gun for accuracy. But honestly what should that matter? I was looking for an around the yard work discrete carry gun but it's just not something I will use if how I fully pull the trigger determines if it will fire.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Hodgepodge mystery ammo is a recipe for.380 unhappiness in every instance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top