Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2024 4:50:02 PM EDT
I picked one up and put 250rds through it. Had multiple failures to feed, that seemed (hopefully) to be going away towards the end of my range trip.

Seemed like the recoil spring is a touch too heavy as it seemed to happen in the first few rounds of a fully loaded magazine. Made me wonder if that tension plus the stout spring was just too much.

Ammo was PMC 124 grain.

I read other places of people reporting they need a break in. My Gen 3 17L has over 9k rounds and has been flawless since the beginning so I was kind of let down.

Fantastic shooter other than that. Super accurate and really like the feel of these gen 5 triggers. Feels close to my broken in gen 3 triggers to me.

Anybody else have experience with them?
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 7:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#1]
I have seen one YouTube video regarding the G17L having feeding issues.
I cautiously bought one anyway and have had zero issues in about 300 rounds.  

It’s a range gun for me so I wasn’t too worried about it, just thankful to have a solid working example.  

Keep us posted on how it goes.  
If it continues to fail I would probably send it back to Glock.

Love me some G17L.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2024 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I suspect with them dicking around with what worked with previous generations of 17Ls, get them to work without the lightening cuts and the dot. They are most likely overt sprung. The original 17Ls were too until they standardize on the factory G17 recoil assembly. The difference used to be two pounds. I don't know what it is now.

I would leave the slide locked back a week or two, or bump up the ammo to a 124 grain nato or 147 grain for a bit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 11:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#3]
The slide of the Gen 5 G17L is 498 grams.
The Gen 5 G17 MOS slide is 483 grams.  
The G17L Gen 3 is 528 grams.  

The Gen 5s appear to have the same recoil springs.  
Both marked 103 on the spring assembly.  

Not sure if that amount of weight is significant.
This was done super duper scientifically on a kitchen scale.  
I realized I left the spring assembly and barrel in when I weighed them and I’m not getting them out of the safe again tonight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 11:55:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#4]
Ok curiosity got me.
I only grabbed the gen 5 though.

G17L
Slide alone 333 grams
Barrel alone 144 grams
Spring alone 20 grams

G17 MOS
Slide 350
Barrel 114
Spring 20

So the slide on the G17L is lighter than the standard G17 MOS.  
I’m not an engineer so I’m not sure if the added length slows the reciprocating mass at all with the tilting barrel or not.

They definitely still do have lightening cuts on the G17L slide but they are hidden under the MOS cover plate.
The rest of the weight reduction came from the dust cover deletion which is replaced with polymer.  

Either way, I have seen more positive reviews of this gun than the one negative one.  

Did you clean it before shooting it?
I would disassemble the entire thing, clean and lube it then go run it again with a variety of ammo and a few different magazines.  

If it still has failures send it back to Glock.  
Why waste time and money with a gun that doesn’t work.  

Really hope it works out for you.  It’s an awesome gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 1:21:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshTalk] [#5]
Double
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting! I didn't expect the 17L slide to weigh less than the standard 17.

Well I put 350rds more through it today. The failures continued plus I had 3 light strikes. Can short stroking cause that? The last 100rds were flawless though.

I noticed weak ejection too. Brass was mostly at my 3 o'clock on the bench directly in front of me.

Same PMC 124 grain as last time. From a lot I know is fine. Cycles my mp5 and other guns just fine.

Just seems like it sprung too high to me. Total of 600rds on it. Going to keep going till I hit 1k before I contact Glock about it.

Still optimistic though. Hell of a fun and accurate gun when it works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 7:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NTXGlocker] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By naes:
Ok curiosity got me.
I only grabbed the gen 5 though.

G17L
Slide alone 333 grams
Barrel alone 144 grams
Spring alone 20 grams

G17 MOS
Slide 350
Barrel 114
Spring 20

So the slide on the G17L is lighter than the standard G17 MOS.  
I’m not an engineer so I’m not sure if the added length slows the reciprocating mass at all with the tilting barrel or not.

They definitely still do have lightening cuts on the G17L slide but they are hidden under the MOS cover plate.
The rest of the weight reduction came from the dust cover deletion which is replaced with polymer.  

Either way, I have seen more positive reviews of this gun than the one negative one.  

Did you clean it before shooting it?
I would disassemble the entire thing, clean and lube it then go run it again with a variety of ammo and a few different magazines.  

If it still has failures send it back to Glock.  
Why waste time and money with a gun that doesn’t work.  

Really hope it works out for you.  It’s an awesome gun.
View Quote

Great info thanks. It use to be the G17L was one of the lightest
large frame Glocks available.

I still like mine even though their 28 grams heavier lots of laughs

Link Posted: 10/12/2024 7:51:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjcutter] [#8]
Gen3 longslide here no issues sucks about your issues I'd contact Glock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 8:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NTXGlocker] [#9]
Guys,

For those arriving to the scene re: G17L’s.

Their early, Glock models, were meant for competition, light,
accurate. They were replaced by G34 due to rule change.

That’s all. I’ll chose G17L any day over the other. But I’m not competing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Well happy to report that it seems like a break-in issue.

I'm at 850rds now and the last 350rds were flawless. All but 50rds of that were the problematic PMC too. Ejection got a little stronger as well.

Getting my rmr and fCD plate on Monday. Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues and it continues to run after install.

As of now though the thing is an incredible shooter. Really glad things smoothed out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top