Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 2:53:53 AM EDT
I just acquired a G34, and I want to change out the plastic sights.  My other Glocks wear Trijicon night sights, but this pistol will be more for target shooting / competition.  I've only shot a few competitions, and that was before my 3 year old was born.  Now, I do a lot of plinking at our place.  I understand that there's a difference between trying to shoot small groups (target) vs. putting rounds quickly on target (competition).

What is your recommendation for:

1.  Target Sights?

2.  Competition Sights?

3.  Happy Medium / Hybrid Between the Two?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Any time you are competing it should still be accuracy first speed second! I use 10-8 performance sights plain black and they are fast to pick up in anything but extreme low light and I can shoot sub three inch 25 yard groups with them. Nothing wrong with trijicon's either but in my experience ( master class gssf shooter) non tritium dots just distract you from getting proper sight alignment
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I like fixed sights for USPSA and 3 gun competition, and once I get a load worked up, cut the front sight for that load... I have had good luck with Heinie Slant Pros in the rear, but to get my G34 to shoot point of aim, went with a Dawson .270" tall front that was later cut to around .245" and .090" thick... that is for a 147grain at around 925fps...  Les L747

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll tell you a really easy setup that works great.  Use the stock rear sight but put on a fiber optic front sight.  I use the Ameriglo fiber rod (in green), but Dawson Prec.  makes some great ones too.  You can get the Dawson's a little thinner, but even with the Ameriglo fiber rod front sight (mine is .130" wide I think), it's definitely thinner than the fat stock front sight Glock uses so it still gives you some precision without being too small.

I've tried the plain black rear sights, and they work but I still prefer something on the rear sight.  The Glock sight is already there and provides a good contrast, and the fiber optic draws your attention to the front sight, exactly where it should be.  Here's a (not so good) pic of the setup I have (on my Gen4 17):

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have tried several after market sight sets on Glocks.  I think the best going so far as durable and easy to shoot are the sights offered by Taran Tactical Innovations.  I am running these on my G34 three gun pistol and have been very impressed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have Warren Sevigny sights on mine.  Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have Warren Tacticals on my carry 17 and 34. I love them.

My G35 slide has Dawson adjustable rear and FO front. I don't like it at all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

why don't you like that dawsome setup?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I've tried a few different sights on the G34 (stock Glock, Warren comp, XS standard dot), but always seem to come back to the Trijicon HD's.

I dislike all Glock factory sights.  The Warren's weren't bad, but since my primary use would be indoor matches.... the fiber was too difficult to acquire quickly.  XS standard dot wasn't to bad, but I found the Trijicon HD's to be the best for my use (mainly indoor, crappy lighting).

Sight of choice, and run it on all comp/carry Glocks!

~g

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've tried a few different sights on the G34 (stock Glock, Warren comp, XS standard dot), but always seem to come back to the Trijicon HD's.

I dislike all Glock factory sights.  The Warren's weren't bad, but since my primary use would be indoor matches.... the fiber was too difficult to acquire quickly.  XS standard dot wasn't to bad, but I found the Trijicon HD's to be the best for my use (mainly indoor, crappy lighting).

Sight of choice, and run it on all comp/carry Glocks!

~g
View Quote
How did the Trijicons perform for you outdoors?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not, and how much you want for them? Best sights on the market for my money.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Not bad, prefer the orange outdoors.

Longer shots are a little tougher as the sights may cover a fair amount of the target.

~g
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know what front and rear sight height would work best for Point of Aim / Point of Impact at 25 yards on a G35?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#13]
kind of an answer... my G35 shot one inch above point of aim with the factory matched pair of Heinie Slant Pros from Brownells with a 180grain 950fps USPSA load.... I tried the same set on my G34 and was about 8" high...  I had to go to a much taller front sight (about .245") .... sorry, I no longer have the G35 to measure
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the insight.

I've been reading up on it and everyone with a G35 seem to go with a taller front.  The front sight heights that I've seen vary from 0.235 and 0.245

Will check out Dawson Precision and see what they have.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just acquired a G34, and I want to change out the plastic sights.  My other Glocks wear Trijicon night sights, but this pistol will be more for target shooting / competition.  I've only shot a few competitions, and that was before my 3 year old was born.  Now, I do a lot of plinking at our place.  I understand that there's a difference between trying to shoot small groups (target) vs. putting rounds quickly on target (competition).

What is your recommendation for:

1.  Target Sights?  Dawson

2.  Competition Sights?  Dawson

3.  Happy Medium / Hybrid Between the Two?  Dawson

Thank you.
View Quote

Ok, serious answer:  for a true target/bullseye gun you'd generally want all black sights with a narrower rear notch.  For competition you'll want a wider notch and many like some sort of front sight enhancement such as fiber optic to pick up the front sight quicker.  A Glock isn't a bullseye gun so you'll be fine target shooting with any of the common competition style sights.  I think a narrow front sight, around .100", helps with accurate shooting.  Some fiber optic sights have really large diameter rods which make it harder to do precision shooting, but the Dawson, Warren, Tarran, Heinie, etc. sights are great for accurate as well as fast shooting.  

Quoted:
Thanks for the insight.

I've been reading up on it and everyone with a G35 seem to go with a taller front.  The front sight heights that I've seen vary from 0.235 and 0.245

Will check out Dawson Precision and see what they have.
View Quote

I'd recommend emailing or calling Dawson and asking which height they recommend.  If the one you order doesn't shoot to the correct POI they'll give you a new front sight free.  FWIW, my 34 used their standard recommended height and my 17L needed a .01" taller front sight.  But it also depends on what ammo you're using and POI can vary a bit from gun to gun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:55:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd recommend emailing or calling Dawson and asking which height they recommend.  If the one you order doesn't shoot to the correct POI they'll give you a new front sight free.  FWIW, my 34 used their standard recommended height and my 17L needed a .01" taller front sight.  But it also depends on what ammo you're using and POI can vary a bit from gun to gun.
View Quote

Warren Tactical will do this as well.  I swapped my .215" fronts on my 34 and 35 for .245".
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:16:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the 10-8 sight picture- the U shaped rear sight picture allows me to more quickly correct windage errors.

The Russians used that kind of sight on their Olympic Free Pistols to good effect.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like fixed sights for USPSA and 3 gun competition, and once I get a load worked up, cut the front sight for that load... I have had good luck with Heinie Slant Pros in the rear, but to get my G34 to shoot point of aim, went with a Dawson .270" tall front that was later cut to around .245" and .090" thick... that is for a 147grain at around 925fps...  Les L747

<a href="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/LesSnyder/media/DSC00256.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/LesSnyder/DSC00256.jpg</a>
View Quote

Off topic, but do you shoot with that mag release in production?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for all the input...a lot of choices.

I ordered a set from Dawson Precision today.  All black target rear and fiber optic front.  Cant wait...
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I installed the Dawson sights before Christmas, and have put a couple hundred rounds through the G34.  I can say that I'm in love with the G34 and the Dawson sights are awesome.  Like I've read others post, it almost feels like cheating.  

Thank you for all the input.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#21]
nihilsum... no, I shoot limited minor...the pistol was set up primarily for 3 gun.... sorry for the delay in responding, I did not see your question until today... regards Les L747
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is my first year... I was going to go with Production but I considered going with Limited minor so I could loaf my mags all the way up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nihilsum... no, I shoot limited minor...the pistol was set up primarily for 3 gun.... sorry for the delay in responding, I did not see your question until today... regards Les L747

This is my first year... I was going to go with Production but I considered going with Limited minor so I could loaf my mags all the way up.

With a 9mm Glock you'll be much more competitive in Production than Limited.  I don't see the point in using a G34 in Limited unless you really hate doing mag changes (or if your Glock isn't Production legal like lasnyder's).
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Stock sights are good if you don't want to spend any additional money.
If you want to shoot faster, Dawson or Sevigny are popular brands.

Here's a quick review of these sights.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I installed the Dawson sights before Christmas, and have put a couple hundred rounds through the G34.  I can say that I'm in love with the G34 and the Dawson sights are awesome.  Like I've read others post, it almost feels like cheating.  

Thank you for all the input.
View Quote

They're good sights, but remember to keep them clean/wet.  They rust fairly easily.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top