Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2013 12:09:29 PM EDT
I am gearing up to buy another Glock and have some questions. Currently my main HD gun and competition (local matches) is a Gen 3 Glock 19.

I am wanting something to use in my local competitions that has higher capacity and longer barrel.

Is the 34 really worth getting over the 17?

Seems the advantages of the 34 are: longer barrel/sight radius, factory slide stop, lighter trigger.
Disadvantage is ~ $90-130 more in price

Are those worth it?

Couple friends think so, another couple don't. So I am asking the hive their opinions.

Thanks,
Craig
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is the 34 really worth getting over the 17?
View Quote

Yes.

With a good set of aftermarket sights and the longer sight radius, it feels like I'm cheating with a 34 vs. any of my other Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my 34.   It really depends on what competitions you plan on participating in, because it could limit you.

A 17 would be better for you if you want to do GSSF because you can only use the 34 in the competition or unlimited class, the 17 can be used in the amateur civilian, or the others.   The extended slide stop and lighter connector could be added to the 17 for 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to stir the pot but a lot of guys find the G26 even more accurate than any of those!
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is my story. (with pictures)

Bought a 34.

g34 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

I loved my 34, it was a joy to shoot, accurate, soft shooting, and just plain awesome.

Then one day I met a fellow shooter at the range. We set up several different stages (shooting games if you will) and he had a shot timer.... he also had a 17.

I had 600 +/- rounds on hand and decided to try the 17 against the 34. - 300 rounds for each pistol.

I've owned a couple of 17's previously and shot them well, truly liked the 17.

After a wonderful summer day of shooting, I was shocked at my results, I had better groups and times with the 17.

How could this be I asked myself? I bought the 34 because it was supposed to be the preferred 9mm Glock for this stuff.

I went home and debated with myself for several hours..... I had shot better with the 17 and slowly realized that there were several additional benefits the 17 had over the 34 that is often overlooked.

After my exhaustive debate and enjoyment of some IPA's I decided that the 17 would be more beneficial for my fullsize 9mm Glock needs, here is why:
* the get both argument could not apply here, wife started her masters program so my gun "FUNds" are on hold for new firearm purchases. (since been broken )

- obviously I shot the 17 better, accuracy was =/= in comparison to the 34, but my times were faster with the 17 - why? I don't know; I think it has to do with realignment of the sight picture is quicker with the 17 and so is my draw speed.

- the 17 can be carried IWB very comfortably. Its my primary carry gun, even over the compacts (fits my hand like a glove since I took off my finger grooves).

- The utility of a 17 to me is greater than a 34. Best way to explain is that a TRD Tundra would be a better all around choice compared to say the TRD baja truck. If you are racing the baja circuit, then the 34 should be better for you (in theory).

I ended up selling the 34 the next day in about 2 hours and within an hour of that I picked up a new FDE 17.

DSC_1463 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_1480 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

My suggestion:

Shoot both - side by side if you can, be it through friends or rentals at a range. Don't just shoot a box of ammo through each, give them a workout - 200/300 rounds per gun.

It all comes down to you, the shooter and which works better for you and meets your needs.

When finances allow I'll get another 34 - so I can have one in the collection, but by choice between the two I found the 17 suited my needs the best.

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the 34 over the 17.  I have several with 10-8 sights on them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Simply yes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the trigger of the 34.  When I finally decided to get a 17 to complete my 9mm Glock "family," I lucked out and found a guy selling a 17 that was really a 34 frame mated to a 17 slide.  So, to me, that's the best of both worlds.

If you only are getting one, I say get the 34.  But in the true spirit of Arfcom, you and I both know you'll end up with both.  The little black plastic bastards tend to multiply.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
When I did the Glock instructor workshop a couple years ago I found that my splits wee worse with my 34 as well and that I could easily make the 5 shot/2second standard with my 19 but always missed it with the 34. The instructor was the head of training for them and he explained that because of the modified connector geometry of the 3.5# that comes in the 34 the reset is slightly longer than that of a 5#. I swapped out the connector to a standard 5# and magically my splits with the 34 were nearly identical to my 19.

As for which to buy, I like the additional sight radius of the 34 (helps at longer ranges) and the additional barrel length gives an extra 50-100 or so FPS. Couple that with an X300 w/ DG tail cap and some tritium sights and you have what I consider the best nightstand gun out there. I have carried it like that as well but for social use I still much prefer the 19. For competition use I'd still go with it as the extra slide mass (in theory anyway) should help your muzzle control.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I did the Glock instructor workshop a couple years ago I found that my splits wee worse with my 34 as well and that I could easily make the 5 shot/2second standard with my 19 but always missed it with the 34. The instructor was the head of training for them and he explained that because of the modified connector geometry of the 3.5# that comes in the 34 the reset is slightly longer than that of a 5#. I swapped out the connector to a standard 5# and magically my splits with the 34 were nearly identical to my 19.

As for which to buy, I like the additional sight radius of the 34 (helps at longer ranges) and the additional barrel length gives an extra 50-100 or so FPS. Couple that with an X300 w/ DG tail cap and some tritium sights and you have what I consider the best nightstand gun out there. I have carried it like that as well but for social use I still much prefer the 19. For competition use I'd still go with it as the extra slide mass (in theory anyway) should help your muzzle control.
View Quote

That is noticeable, and not a lot of people realize it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies. I  am still undecided as my natural tendency gravitates toward the cheaper pistol.

Thanks,
Craig
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 3:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I  am still undecided as my natural tendency gravitates toward the cheaper pistol.

Thanks,
Craig
View Quote

Unless you are already in the top 5% or something close to it either gun will do everything you need to do. Buy what you want and don't look back
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
There are two pictures of a 17 vs. one picture of a 34 in this thread.  

Therefore 17 > 34
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I had both and sold the 34. I only shoot IDPA as an type of competition. I prefer to keep all of my glock triggers the same. But I also use my carry rig to compete. If you're a gamer, the 34 is ok, but I could not realistically carry it  concealed, so I wont shoot it in IDPA.

That being said, I consistantly shoot my G19 better at speed than my G17. As far as I can tell the G19 clearing the holster (I shoot from IWB rig) faster is the reason for that.

For what its worth, shooting your main HD gun in competition as you said you are doing now is the way to go. I know shooting games are just that, games, but they have their place in real life training. Competitions give us a small sample of shooting under stress and teach us the fine line between accuracy and speed. My IMHO of course.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I have both.

The 34 is just a tad too long... Sort of...

I carry OWB in an Allessi CQC-S, front strap is about 1" above top of my belt.

When I sit down, the muzzle end of the holster of the 34 hits the seat.  Not necessarily a problem.  Plus, when I wear a un-tucked blouse, that gun sticks out just a tad below the hem of most shirts.  

The 17, IMO is all around better for CCW.  Just spend $50 and have someone put in the 3.5lb factory connector and the G34 slide stop.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Shot a 500 today at the indoor GSSF match with my 34.   Just throwin' that out there

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#16]
34's the only non 22lr - semi auto handgun I've ever owned that I can put in a womans / young teenagers hands and they shoot great with it. I love mine

It is an instant replace if anything ever happens to it gun in my collection - you have to unload a mag as fast as you can into a pie plate at 25 yards to really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I've owned several 17's and one 34. The 34 is my IDPA gun. I can easily nail the long shots and I like the sight radius. The factory extended controls and lighter trigger are a plus. The 17's weren't bad, but the 34 edges them out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#18]
My 34 is a blue label gun, so I had to add the 4.5 connector. I also threw in a extra power trigger return spring and a reduced power plunger spring.

I had to pull the extended slide stop; my grip is pretty aggressive and I kept locking the slide open.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I've only recently gotten an appreciation for Glocks.  I was searching for a good used G19 and came across a used but really "new" OD G34, so I bought it too.  Then I found an ex-Police G19.  I have taken the G19 out for a couple of range sessions and really like how it shoots.  The G34 had not yet been "out."  Then came last weekend...

I shot my first GSSF match!  I decided to go ahead and shoot two divisions.  I shot Civ with the 19 and Competition with the 34.  The first time I ever fired the 34 was at the practice bay at the match.  I put 30 rounds through the 34 at simulations of the 3 GSSF stages.  Then I shot...

I shot the 19 in Civ first at each stage, then ran the 34.  My times and accuracy were SUBSTANTIALLY better using the 34.  It is one sweet shooting pistol.  I had actually been considering it "trade bait" before the shoot.  Now it is a keeper.  The match results are not final, but in the prelims I placed 26 out of 65 in the Civilian Division and was 6 out of 45 in Amateur Competition.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Shot a 500 today at the indoor GSSF match with my 34.   Just throwin' that out there

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Guns/2013-09-14142543_zpsf4905a52.jpg
View Quote
Distance and was this rapid fire?

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Guns/2013-09-14142543_zpsf4905a52.jpg

GSSF online
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GSSF online
Tired of searching.

O wells
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#26]
My wife and I both shoot GSSF indoor and outdoor. We shot 2 indoor matches yesterday. Recommend GSSF to anyone.

Anyway, back on subject. I have a 34, several 17's, 19 and 26. Of all of them my favorite is a Gen1 17. The 19 is my least favorite. My 34 is going thru trial and error to form into my Unlimited pistol for GSSF. The 26 is my nemesis. I either shoot it extremely bad or extremely good. It is the only pistol I have ever shot a 500 indoor with, and the pistol I have shot my worst score with.
I know that says shooter issues, and I agree. The 500 shows what the 26 is capable of in the right hands. Everyone has good and bad days. I can tell what kind of day it's going to be when I start shooting my first mag. I knew yesterday was going to be a good day as soon as I started with my old Gen1 17, and it was for me.

My advice is rent or borrow what you can, run them and decide for yourself. Practice, practice and more practice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I say go 34, longer barrel, longer site radius, higher velocity,  you already have the 19 for carry
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I have not yet shot a Glock, but after shooting my 17 today I well recommend it over the 19, but I alos recommend the 26 over the 19 as well.

Need to rent a 34.

ETA: I was making hits on a steel torso at 50 yards today with no problems, except anticipating the recoil which is not the guns fault.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Tired of searching.  

O wells
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GSSF online
Tired of searching.  

O wells

Sorry.

http://www.gssfonline.com/indoor-league-what-courseoffire.cfm

Ours is a bit different, we go 5 strings of 10, and not all the way out to 75 feet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sorry.

Ours is a bit different, we go 5 strings of 10, and not all the way out to 75 feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GSSF online
Tired of searching.  

O wells

Sorry.

IT's cool thanks for taking the time putting the new link in.

ETA: Very good shooting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.  That is good to know though.  My 35 is a PD trade in with the standard connector.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I to have shot and owned Glocks 17 & 26.I thought the 26 was more accurate than the 17.Now that I have a 34 I cant get over how accurate it is.Gotten rid of both my 17 & 26 years ago.I would like to carry the 34 CCw .No idea what holster tto get.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the reply's. I found a NIB 34 the EE and took the plunge.

will report when I get it.

Thanks,
Craig
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply's. I found a NIB 34 the EE and took the plunge.

will report when I get it.

Thanks,
Craig
View Quote

That's where I got mine, and a good deal it was. Lightly used early 4th Gen G34 w/ Trijicon HD's and a Dawson trigger.

I have owned a coupla G17's and liked them and shot well with them, but it's almost like cheating shooting a 34, they are so nice.

They are not much bigger than a 17, almost identical in length to a 1911.

I hope you like yours as much as I love mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've noticed it. Is there any way to keep the 3.5# connector and shorten the reset, and stay legal for USPSA Production class?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#36]
No.  The nature of the connector (you see the difference in the angle?) means it has to travel farther to allow it to be lighter.

At the same time, the + connector will give you a slightly shorter pull for the same reason.

(wrong angle really, but you can see the difference from the back)

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the info!

The trigger pull and the reset are both longer with the 3.5# connector. I might have to try a 5# connector in my 34.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!

The trigger pull and the reset are both longer with the 3.5# connector. I might have to try a 5# connector in my 34.
View Quote

A 5 lb connector and competition trigger spring would probably give you a very similar pull weight to the 3.5 lb connector and standard trigger spring, but with the shorter travel/reset.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I prefer the trigger of the 34.  When I finally decided to get a 17 to complete my 9mm Glock "family," I lucked out and found a guy selling a 17 that was really a 34 frame mated to a 17 slide.  So, to me, that's the best of both worlds.

If you only are getting one, I say get the 34.  But in the true spirit of Arfcom, you and I both know you'll end up with both.  The little black plastic bastards tend to multiply.
View Quote

The 34 and the 17 share frames, there is no difference between the two.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A 5 lb connector and competition trigger spring would probably give you a very similar pull weight to the 3.5 lb connector and standard trigger spring, but with the shorter travel/reset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference if you're shooting from the reset.  The resistance at that point is from the striker spring, not the trigger spring.

A good way to see that...  take your trigger spring completely out.  Put the gun back together, hold the trigger back while racking the slide.  You'll be able to fire it normally at that point as long as you don't let out on the trigger farther than you need to reset it.

I wouldn't be changing the striker spring to try to lighten the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I like my 34, but I shot my 17's better.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference if you're shooting from the reset.  The resistance at that point is from the striker spring, not the trigger spring.

A good way to see that...  take your trigger spring completely out.  Put the gun back together, hold the trigger back while racking the slide.  You'll be able to fire it normally at that point as long as you don't let out on the trigger farther than you need to reset it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!

I haven't tried what you're describing, but my understanding is that the competition trigger spring is heavier than the stock one and works with you when you pull the trigger...all the way through the pull.

My 34 has a lighter striker spring as part of the Fulcrum Ultimate Kit.  It works fine - no light strikes in 250-300 rounds - but I only use it for the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top