Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2024 7:52:44 AM EDT
Hi, I've been an m&p guy for may many years and understand the m&p trigger workings pretty well.

Now, I'm trying a glock and while the stock trigger is OK, I'd like to find something that's a little close to 3.5, 4lb with a crisp reset but without jeopardizing the safety of th pistol. A number of the triggers work by pre tensioning the striker and I'm hoping to avoid that.

If some one point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I like a NY1 Trigger Spring with a "-" Connector, but that may be heavier than you want.  Has a nice rolling feel to it though, smoother "wall", and solid reset.

Have you tried just putting a "-" Connector in it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The Glock performance trigger does pre tension the striker but does leave all of the safety features of the gun intact.  

It can also be tuned a bit with connectors.  

Many folks here have been carrying with the GPT installed, myself included.
Considering they are also one of the cheaper options, I would recommend considering it.  

The trigger is closer to what you are looking for, a Glock factory part and meets most of your requirements, safety being the most important ask for a trigger.  

What Glock and what gen did you get?
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By naes:
The Glock performance trigger does pre tension the striker but does leave all of the safety features of the gun intact.  

Considering they are also one of the cheaper options, I would recommend considering it.  

The trigger is closer to what you are looking for, a Glock factory part and meets most of your requirements, safety being the most important ask for a trigger.  

View Quote

I will second exactly what Naes said.  I wish Glock would just make the triggers standard in new guns, they are selling a lot of them so I doubt it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Glock 45 g5. If it still leaves enough of a safety margin, that's likely going to be my first one to try.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TNC:
Ghost link is the easy button. I just put a 3.5 lb link in a glock 20 and turned an abysmal staple gun trigger into one that's reasonably good https://ghostinc.com/the-pistol/ghost-manufactured-parts/ghost-connectors/glock-connectors/

Polishing the contact surfaces will help as well. https://www.pewpewtactical.com/glock-25-cent-trigger-job/  I just used crocus cloth.
View Quote

I'll still likely polish the internals a little too. If i don't like the glock performance I'll try the ghost link.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
NDZ is another good option for a "-" connector. I prefer the NDZ over any of the Ghost connectors I have tried.

I like using the NDZ or a Glock "-" connector along with a Polymer 80 flat face trigger shoe when I can find them. Otherwise I leave everything else stock.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Voland:

Glock 45 g5. If it still leaves enough of a safety margin, that's likely going to be my first one to try.
View Quote

All three safeties remain fully functional.  

Be aware that they updated the GPT.
If it comes with a backplate and the packaging says it is compatible with Gen 4 it has the standard connector installed.  That is the way I like to carry them.

The older packaging says only Gen 5 compatible and comes with a dot connector installed and is a lighter trigger pull.  

If you want very light you can put a minus connector installed it.  Due to how light of a pull it is, you don’t really notice the mush.  

I recommend the standard connector.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
I like a NY1 Trigger Spring with a "-" Connector, but that may be heavier than you want.  Has a nice rolling feel to it though, smoother "wall", and solid reset.

Have you tried just putting a "-" Connector in it?
View Quote

That was how i preferred my Glock triggers, NY1 & "-" connector. But it feels more like a good revolver DA trigger.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I also use the GPT with a standard connector.

You can get most of the way there on the factory installed trigger with a minus connector.

I also hate the trigger reach on Glocks so I use a Vex F3 shoe which removes most of the take up from the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Be aware removing take up can creep towards defeating the drop shelf and firing pin block.

I use an Apex connector for a light and smooth rolling break, all other parts and springs stock
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 10:16:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Texaspo] [#13]
I am running the GPT V2 with the Ranger Proof VEX trigger shoe.  No safeties compromised, with a nice clean smooth consistent pull and 4.5-4.7 break. It isn't the cheapest setup, but IMO is one of the best setups got the Glock pistol.  Light enough for precision shots at distance, but still perfectly acceptable for duty/carry use.  This is the setup I have in all my Gen5 including my duty pistols.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#14]
What gun?

Why not try a G17L OEM setup?
3.5lb
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Noah95:
Be aware removing take up can creep towards defeating the drop shelf and firing pin block.

I use an Apex connector for a light and smooth rolling break, all other parts and springs stock
View Quote

The Vex shoe doesn’t remove take up by changing the trigger bar position so it doesn’t affect the position on the drop shelf at all on a standard trigger. It changes the angle the bar goes into the shoe to reduce the trigger reach.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:11:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Understanding glock triggers
Pull it they go bang. Weights and smoothness will vary but it is a mass produced gun with typical tolerance stacking

Get it shoot it. Don’t worry about the weight or crispness of the trigger.

If you want a nice trigger, get a 1911 and accept the limitations ( perceived or actual) associated with it

Or grab a Glock M&P like you have or any other JAPP ( just another plastic pistol) and accept it will never have a crisp smooth trigger,  it will have other advantages

I am if you can’t tell already am a shoot don’t tinker with it guy.

Grab it out of the box does it work? If yes leave it alone and run it

More guns become unreliable or unsafe paperweights because people can’t leave well enough alone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:53:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Texaspo] [#17]
Originally Posted By -CRW-:

The Vex shoe doesn’t remove take up by changing the trigger bar position so it doesn’t affect the position on the drop shelf at all on a standard trigger. It changes the angle the bar goes into the shoe to reduce the trigger reach.
View Quote

Actually the VEX shoes does remove some of the pretravel by moving the trigger bar.  It does not however move the bar far enough rearward to deactivate any of the safeties.  The bar still rests on the shelf, and the tab that deactivates the striker safety is moved to the point of right at the safety, but doesn't move it.  There was a lot of thought and work that went into the design of the VEX as to keep it from deactivating any of the factory safeties.  I have the GPT/VEX in all of my Gen5's and all of them are drop safe, I tested them.  

Now with that, I cannot say the VEX is drop safe in aftermarket frames or fire control systems, and the designer has such stated on their site.  So if your using the VEX with a factory Glock and or fire controls, you should be GTG.  If your using it with any aftermarket frame or setup, I would check the clearance and tolerances.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag - I noticed on my G19G5 and G17G5, with either the minus or dot connector, there's a weird little hitch right before it breaks if you try to pull the trigger slowly. It's like there's a divot that the trigger bar falls into right before the final break...if you go slow and feel for it, you can tell when it happens. On my guns to be specific - I have no idea if it's just my examples or if it's a wider more pervasive thing. It might be the trigger bar pushing up the firing pin block?

I replaced the factory FCG in the G17 with a first gen Glock Performance Trigger last week. I was very saddened that The Gadget wouldn't work with it but, man did it clean up the trigger nicely. It feels more consistent, predictable even, than the factory Glock setup IMO...but I've also only got 200 rounds through it (only took it to the range once) so I'm sure as more rounds get through it I'll figure out more things about it. I've got a ton of dryfire on it as well of course.

My local funstore has 3 or 4 more first gen GPTs in stock @ ~$115/ea, which is a little expensive but it's also immediately available. It's broadly $15-$20 more expensive than ordering from say Midway USA with shipping, but with the time premium of getting it right now...I figure on the balance it's about priced correctly give or take.

My understanding is that the 2nd gen GPT changed the connector, maybe springs as well?

I do know Ben Stoeger isn't sanguine about the GPT as it apparently requires more maintenance than a standard Glock FCG; you need to oil it every thousand rounds or so or it gets gritty and crunchy according to him. Meh, since I clean my guns (Ben is very anti-maintenance ) it's a non-issue for how I treat them...
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Tag - I noticed on my G19G5 and G17G5, with either the minus or dot connector, there's a weird little hitch right before it breaks if you try to pull the trigger slowly. It's like there's a divot that the trigger bar falls into right before the final break...if you go slow and feel for it, you can tell when it happens. On my guns to be specific - I have no idea if it's just my examples or if it's a wider more pervasive thing. It might be the trigger bar pushing up the firing pin block?

I replaced the factory FCG in the G17 with a first gen Glock Performance Trigger last week. I was very saddened that The Gadget wouldn't work with it but, man did it clean up the trigger nicely. It feels more consistent, predictable even, than the factory Glock setup IMO...but I've also only got 200 rounds through it (only took it to the range once) so I'm sure as more rounds get through it I'll figure out more things about it. I've got a ton of dryfire on it as well of course.

My local funstore has 3 or 4 more first gen GPTs in stock @ ~$115/ea, which is a little expensive but it's also immediately available. It's broadly $15-$20 more expensive than ordering from say Midway USA with shipping, but with the time premium of getting it right now...I figure on the balance it's about priced correctly give or take.

My understanding is that the 2nd gen GPT changed the connector, maybe springs as well?

I do know Ben Stoeger isn't sanguine about the GPT as it apparently requires more maintenance than a standard Glock FCG; you need to oil it every thousand rounds or so or it gets gritty and crunchy according to him. Meh, since I clean my guns (Ben is very anti-maintenance ) it's a non-issue for how I treat them...
View Quote

They did change the connector from the "." to the standard connector in the V2 GPT.  I'm not sure about the spring, but I suspect they might have, but I haven't been able to get a verification on this.  According to the Glock maintenance manual, the standard trigger systems maintenance requirement are more frequent than the GPT.  Take that for what it's worth though.

In my experiences with the GPT's, I haven't had to do any more work with them than I did with my standard Glock triggers.  I have run multiple training courses, one over 800 rounds in a day, and I didn't notice any degradation in performance with my GPT.   I do also clean my pistols after each range session, round counts don't matter.  

I will say if I was going to be sent in the middle of nowhere, I would swap out to the standard Glock fire control system.  It is combat proven and does not require much if any maintenance and it is easily fixed in the field with just a few small spare parts.  

For every other situation I'll stick with the GPT.  The performance and feel I get from my setup is worth any extra maintenance I would have to do.

TXPO

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Heh... I've been an m&p guy for years. I run apex everything and i love my triggers. I also never clean them. They just run.

I don't mind doing the maintenance though so it shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Texaspo:

They did change the connector from the "." to the standard connector in the V2 GPT.  I'm not sure about the spring, but I suspect they might have, but I haven't been able to get a verification on this.  According to the Glock maintenance manual, the standard trigger systems maintenance requirement are more frequent than the GPT.  Take that for what it's worth though.

In my experiences with the GPT's, I haven't had to do any more work with them than I did with my standard Glock triggers.  I have run multiple training courses, one over 800 rounds in a day, and I didn't notice any degradation in performance with my GPT.   I do also clean my pistols after each range session, round counts don't matter.  

I will say if I was going to be sent in the middle of nowhere, I would swap out to the standard Glock fire control system.  It is combat proven and does not require much if any maintenance and it is easily fixed in the field with just a few small spare parts.  

For every other situation I'll stick with the GPT.  The performance and feel I get from my setup is worth any extra maintenance I would have to do.

TXPO

View Quote

This post specifically echos my frustration. My m&p apex triggers just work and I would trust my life to it in any conditions.

I should be able to get there with the glock!

I'm trying the minus connector first to see if it gets me where I want to be and go from there. They should be here next week and I'll update this thread as I get them installed and tested.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I run a "minus" connector and a heaver trigger return spring. Slightly lighter than stock pull and gets rid of the wall.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Voland:

This post specifically echos my frustration. My m&p apex triggers just work and I would trust my life to it in any conditions.

I should be able to get there with the glock!

I'm trying the minus connector first to see if it gets me where I want to be and go from there. They should be here next week and I'll update this thread as I get them installed and tested.
View Quote

Well, you can also buy an Apex trigger and connector for Glock

I just bought a trigger/bar for my G19G5, I want to give that a try...it'll allow The Gadget to continue to work as designed while maybe making things a little smoother. I'm keeping the Glock - connector in, we'll see how that does. The dot connector isn't bad either, either way...
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

When Ben’s Glocks need maintenance of any kind he just buys a new one lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By UncleBabyBillie:

View Quote

That's fair Yeah he's made it pretty clear that if it requires maintenance, he doesn't like it. Reminds me of a guy I knew who'd buy a used car and run it until it needed an oil change, then sell it and buy the next used car...sometimes he made money, sometimes he lost money
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#26]

That's fair Yeah he's made it pretty clear that if it requires maintenance, he doesn't like it. Reminds me of a guy I knew who'd buy a used car and run it until it needed an oil change, then sell it and buy the next used car...sometimes he made money, sometimes he lost money
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UncleBabyBillie:

My coworker worked in a dentist office for years. She told me the story of a software engineer who had been working a long time and made quite a bit of money but he liked working so he didn't retire. But he also had more money than what he knew what to do with.

One day he was bringing his Mercedes into the shop to get something done. They told him it would be ready the next day so he just bought a new car and drove it home

I'm not saying he had FU money, but he was close.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Actually the VEX shoes does remove some of the pretravel by moving the trigger bar.  It does not however move the bar far enough rearward to deactivate any of the safeties.  The bar still rests on the shelf, and the tab that deactivates the striker safety is moved to the point of right at the safety, but doesn't move it.  There was a lot of thought and work that went into the design of the VEX as to keep it from deactivating any of the factory safeties.  I have the GPT/VEX in all of my Gen5's and all of them are drop safe, I tested them.  

TXPO
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

TXPO

I didn’t realize that until you said so. I looked at mine installed and it’s about halfway off the shelf.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

FWIW - I ordered an Apex flat Gen5 trigger from Brownells the other day; just showed up. Swapped it into my G19 (which did NOT have the GPT in it) - that little hitch / divot that the trigger or trigger bar seems to hit right before the trigger breaks is gone; it's a smooth row through to the break now no matter how slowly I pull the trigger. Massive improvement. I don't know if it's something up with the factory Glock trigger bar (maybe it's contacting something on the frame), or how the trigger bar is shaped and the Apex one is subtly different, or what. One thing I did notice is the long flat on the Apex trigger bar doesn't seem to contact the frame; the Glock one seems to ride against the frame. Maybe that makes all the difference in the world...
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Texaspo] [#29]

I didn’t realize that until you said so. I looked at mine installed and it’s about halfway off the shelf.
View Quote

I can't speak to the Vex installed on the standard fire control factory trigger bar, but GPT/VEX on all mine are still well over the shelf.  The if you look at the tab that sits on the shelf, the rear of it angle upwards slightly.  This angled section is the only part that isn't on the shelf with the VEX and GPT.  This isn't a problem since even if this area was over the shelf, because it's angled upwards, doesn't sit flush on the shelf anyway.  

When I first got the GPT and the VEX, I tested it extensively and specifically for drop safety, as this was going to be used in a duty/SD weapon.  The timney I had in it before would easily drop and allow the striker to slip off and move forward.  To date I have not been able to cause the trigger bar to drop enough to allow the striker to pass over it.  I have put enough force on one of my GPT/VEX trigger I actually damaged the assembly, and still wasn't able to get the striker to slip over it.  

Now all of this is with factory Glock frames.  Tolerances are different on clone and aftermarket frames, so I can't verify as to if they are or aren't drop safe with this setup.  Ranger Proof states on their website that there are clones frames that may not be drop safe with the VEX installed.  

What I can say without reservation is the GPT/VEX combo in all of my Gen5's are 100% percent drop safe, and I have complete confidence in them.

TXPO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top