Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2018 4:28:29 AM EDT
I will be buying a s&w 325tr in the near future and I hate loading moon clips by hand.

What moonclip loader and or unloader are you guys using ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
BMT Mooner is by far the best tool for loading and unloading moonclips.  Their version for rimmed cartridges (38/357/44) is spectacular.  Their version for rimless (9mm, 40/10, 45ACP) is nearly as good.  Each model is for only for one specific moonclip size.  ie you need one version for a 625/325 and an entire different one for your 38/357 K-frame etc.  They are pricey but worth it.

The Moonclip Tool (and its copies) is really good for loading the moonclips.  It can be quickly and cheaply adapted to many different cartridges and moonclip sizes.  It's what I am currently using for my rimless moonclips.  To unload them you can use the Moonclip Tool there is a demooner on the other end of the handle but its a bit awkward to use.

I use a home made de-mooner I made from a tubular golf club handle.  This lets me easily separate loaded rounds from empty rounds on partially expended moonclips.  Just cut off the handle at a diameter slightly larger than the case you're de-mooning.  Leave a raised step that spans about 1/4 to 1/3 of the circumference.  You slip the handle over the round.  The raised step goes up the outside of the moonclip.  A gentle twist will pop the round/empty-case easily off the moonclip and it drops into the handle.  When full, you dump the handle into your brass bucket or ammo bag for reuse.  My handle will de-moon three 625 moonclips before I have to empty it.

That said I used a pair of cheap channel-lock pliers and that golf club handled for years before I splurged on the fancy tools.

Since your buying a 325 I would suggest looking at Ranch Products for moonclips.  You can spend more on moonclips at Revolver Supply or TK Custom (Both are great vendors with great products) but for the 625/325 Ranch Product moonclips are excellent and by far the most affordable.

ETA:  added links, pics and more info
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
BMT  This tool loads and unloads the clips.  I have used a few of the other types and they are awkward.  This one makes it fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS8VjUbOEdM

BMT Mooner - Moon Clip Loader

Skip to 1:00
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
BMT is a mile in front of second place but it is awfully pricey for my cheap ass. I have the one Dillon Precision sells for loading and small unloading tasks. I made a golf club shaft demooner like shown in first post for unloading the clips 99% of the time.

This coming from someone who shoots a 625 competitively every week, 9 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Just got a 325 TR myself, have had a 22-4 for several years.

I started loading by just pushing the clip on the rounds on my workbench, it works and I got relatively quick with it.

For unloading I took a .45 case to the hardware store and found a dowel that fit relatively snugly in it and used that for years to unload, I got to where I could unload a clip in about 10 seconds with it.

Once I figured out the Dillon it's apparent I should have purchased it as soon as I bought the 22-4.  The concept is simple and it works well.

I'm sure the other tools are just as good, if not better, my cheap ass isn't paying that kind of money.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Wilson Combat for my .45 acp.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015352775/wilson-combat-full-moon-clip-case-extractor-matte

Don't know if that style would work on .38/.357
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Wilson Combat for my .45 acp.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015352775/wilson-combat-full-moon-clip-case-extractor-matte

Don't know if that style would work on .38/.357
View Quote
One like this came with my 625PC. I hate this thing compared to my homemade golf club demooner. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The BMT tool is head and shoulders above the other loading/unloading tools I have tried.

For S&W .45 ACP revolvers another alternative is to use Hydrocarbon Polymer moon clips. EZ Moon Clip
No tools are necessary for these.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The BMT tool is head and shoulders above the other loading/unloading tools I have tried.

For S&W .45 ACP revolvers another alternative is to use Hydrocarbon Polymer moon clips. EZ Moon Clip
No tools are necessary for these.
View Quote
Yeah, I have made the plastic moon lip mistake in the past.

I'll buy a good loader and stick to steel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top