BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 10:51:16 PM EDT
This went well.  
2024 5 11 short P 10S 200 yards Target 1 and steel Ruidoso Saturday

Joe
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I know guys that can’t shoot a rifle that well.
Beautiful range too.  Well done sir.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice shooting. What ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Atlanta Arms 115 gr JHP Match box ammo.  

It has always been good, so good that it is in short supply at times, at least for us small quantity buyers.  When I can't get Atlanta Arms, I buy IMI 115 JHP, which is also really good.  For the short barrel pistol, the AA seems to be better than the IMI.  On the 4 and 4.5 " barrel pistols, the difference shrinks.  May be the difference in the powders used and burn rate, I don't know for sure.  Since late last year, the IMI is also pretty expensive, even compared to the AA match ammo.  I rarely shoot more than 60 rounds per week since I quit shooting bullseye matches, so the cost of the match grade ammo is tolerable.

Thanks for the question.

Joe L
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
That is pretty phenomenal performance for a subcompact carry pistol!

Great shooting!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice work
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, gentlemen.  I spend a lot of range time at 100 and 200 yards, so it is good to have perfect conditions and a good result.

Shooting a pistol at 100 and 200 yards is not as difficult as most folks think.  A red dot sight and good eyesight are more than half the battle.  

Joe L
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Atlanta Arms 115 gr JHP Match box ammo.  

It has always been good, so good that it is in short supply at times, at least for us small quantity buyers.  When I can't get Atlanta Arms, I buy IMI 115 JHP, which is also really good.  For the short barrel pistol, the AA seems to be better than the IMI.  On the 4 and 4.5 " barrel pistols, the difference shrinks.  May be the difference in the powders used and burn rate, I don't know for sure.  Since late last year, the IMI is also pretty expensive, even compared to the AA match ammo.  I rarely shoot more than 60 rounds per week since I quit shooting bullseye matches, so the cost of the match grade ammo is tolerable.

Thanks for the question.

Joe L
View Quote

Interesting.  I wonder if they use the Hornady 115 HAP bullet, and if the 124 HAP would do any better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as 124's, I'll never know.  Group size right now is pretty much dependent on my eyesight and lighting on any given day.  Even if the 124 gr (or any other ammo) is better, it would be hard to identify if I can already shoot 7" groups at 200.  

I've shot enough 6" groups at 200 and sub 4" at 100 using the AA 115 JHP to not be interested in switching or even testing any other ammo.  And the IMI is a very close second in the 4" and 4.5" pistols.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is another video, about 4 minutes long, from Monday's range visit with the P-10S at 200 yards.  

The difference between this session and Saturday's in the post above is the sunlight.  On Saturday, the sky was overcast and the lighting was dim and somewhat gloomy.  Perfect conditions to see a dim but crisp red dot against a relatively small aim point.  On Monday, in the bright sunlight, the yellow box around the black bullseye was washed out compared to the dot, so positioning the dot perfectly over the center of the covered aim point was tough.  I had a few more wide shots as a result on Monday.  Next time, I'm going to use a 24" diameter black bullseye for an aim point and try that in both overcast and sunny conditions and see if it helps.  

2024 5 13 Target 3 only P 10S 200 yards Ruidoso Monday

I'm ready to shoot something else now, LOL.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Holy cow.  Do you shoot rifle as well?

And yeah, lighting is key .  When the sun is at my back and not to high, there are steel plates all over that cliff that are not that hard to hit with a M1 garand or FAL.
When lighting is poor, I need glass.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
DVCER--Yep, the light and contrast can really affect me.  I started out shooting at 200 using a B-6C repair center on a stick, then added the yellow outline, but, at 200, that whole aim point needs to be black and larger than the dot.  Yellow is the wrong color for making the aim point larger, especially if there are green/yellow trees in the background.  

The low shots and the high shots are due to shooter eye fatigue.  Even at 100, I've gone back to the B-6C targets with the black 8 ring in place of the B-6C with the black 9 ring.  

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top