Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2024 5:09:59 PM EDT
I found a smoking deal on one of these - 260 bucks, plus maybe the 50 dollar rebate from S&W.

Seems too cheap to pass up, even though I'm loathe (love that word) to add another caliber to my seemingly endless list of ammo types to stock.

Anyone have one?  Like, dislike?  Are they easy to upgrade with better triggers and sights and gold shinny parts?

And would you recommend one with a safety, or without?  I assume the Shield EX has one of S&W "safe action" style triggers, so is there much use for the manual safety?
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate finding good deals on guns even if I don’t need it. Because I have a hard time saying no.

Might be a bit of a dying caliber, but if you like the gun for some reason, buy it.

People tell me .40 is dying but I keep buying it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It really needs to be an old and or oddball round to be unavailable.  Like 9x21 or such.  

For about anything offered by the big gun companies since WWII, there's no round that you can't get ammo for, even if you don't have 100 types offered as with 9mm or .45.

Plus things come in cycles - 10mm was pretty uncommon, till it became the next big thing.  Maybe 40 will get called 10mm Special or 10mm Carry an be all the rage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If I ever see one @$300 I cam just take out my card and buy without another $100 worth of shipping and fees I'll buy one on the spot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I ever see one @$300 I cam just take out my card and buy without another $100 worth of shipping and fees I'll buy one on the spot.
View Quote

Have a Cabelas or Bass Pro nearby?  $249.99 in-store.  I just ordered one FREE SHIP TO STORE for $265.  I used gift cards off Raise for 12.3% off.  So paid like $238.xx.  plus I'll get the $50 rebate.  No-brainer at $190 for the wifey.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got one on the way. With the points, coupon, & rebate I’ll be around $180. I have two shields in .30 SC and plenty of ammo so I said why not.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
No need for the safety.

Great Gun!

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I was astonished to learn that PD10 was released in 30SC recently. Moreover, it gains 2 more rounds over the 9mm version!! How is this even possible? The round is only 11% thinner than 9mm, so mathematically it cannot work.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have a Cabelas or Bass Pro nearby?  $249.99 in-store.  I just ordered one FREE SHIP TO STORE for $265.  I used gift cards off Raise for 12.3% off.  So paid like $238.xx.  plus I'll get the $50 rebate.  No-brainer at $190 for the wifey.
View Quote

If you get tired of the prices of .30 SC or the problems finding it in local stores or on line all you need to convert it to 9MM is a used slide/barrel/recoil spring for a 9MM Shield and some magazines for a 9MM Shield Plus.  I converted mine to 9MM right after I got it.  No, not selling the OR slide/barrel/recoil spring/magazines.  Might run into to a smoking deal on .30 SC ammo one of these days.

Mine was a straight swap with no work/mods/adjustment needed and it shoots great.

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I ended up buying it, at Bass Pro.  I had to have it shipped in from another store, but that only took a few days.

$258 buck!  I bought my first piston in 1988, a Ruger Mark II, for 200 bucks.  

The 30 SC didn't seem to catch on yet, maybe ever.  But I seemingly have every pistol round known to man (still need 8mm Nambu!), so what's another one?  Ammo is expensive at about twice what 9mm is, but once I get a few hundred rounds into it to function test it and check accuracy, I don't need to fire it very often.  The nice thing about firing probably a million rounds in your life is that you don't have to fire 1000 rounds out of every gun you own to be able to use it well.

I've seen but not handled the Shield EZ, and while I haven't shot it yet, it feels nice.  It's a handy size - bigger than a Hellcat, but smaller than a Glock 19.  The grip seems a bit longer than most 9mm, due to the longer round I suppose, but not bad.    

It has a nice trigger pull.  It's not a "safe" trigger like the other M&P or the Glocks, so there's not the multi step aspect of them.  There's the initial movement to put things in place, then no further take up or creep.  I'm not good at estimating weight, but 6-7 pounds?  No overtravel to speak of.

Sights are plain but functional three white dots.  The back of the slide has sort of an AR charging handle wider section, that really helps to pull it back.  It's a good idead and I'd like to see more pistols have this.  I'd read a lot about the reduced amount of force needed to rack it, and didn't really notice that.  It seems about as much as any other pistol, but this one is brand new, so maybe it'll lighten up.  With the mentioned notches it's not hard to rack back anyway.

I got the version without the manual safety, as I figured with the grip safety it's not needed, and would get in the way.

I'm pleased with it.  Can't beat the price, and the 30 SC round sounds good ballisticly .  I'm not real worried about ammo drying up, and ammo fads come and go.  10mm was a nitch round for 20 years till it came storming back.

I do wish more gun companies would offer guns in this round - it's sort of a chicken and egg aspect to get a round off the ground.  Right now there seems to be the Shield, EZ, the Shield Plus, and some expensive 1911 in it.  I wonder if the length of the case is such that you need a different frame than other rounds, such that you can't just put 30 SC into a Glock 19 or Beretta 80X frame.

I'll give it a test on the range and post back.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top