Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2024 8:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brentfoto]
Hello, haven't been here for a while.  Since I got a new XDM 4.5 9mm Elite OSP yesterday I have some concerns with this otherwise apparently 'perfect' specimen of a handgun (and I'm not being sarcastic in any way).

I've owned XD in the past and the grip safety was NEVER an issue for me.

But my recent purchase was online, and I never held the handgun before pickup.

But this grip safety is 'nasty', there's like a 'nub' near the bottom of it and just holding the piece irritated and annoyed the web of my hand.

What is going on here?  Might this have to do in some part with discontinuance of the model line?  

Please let me know of alternatives.  First thing that came to mind is to switch it out to another grip safety. Can that be done? Recommendations?

Second thing that came to mind was disabling it without taping it to the frame.  Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/WJnw30n

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The "memory bump" grip-safety is on the whole XDM Elite line as far as I know, and I like it fine. These also seem to be fairly common on "modern" 1911 grip safeties.

The finish looks like it may be a bit rougher on part of yours than mine though. Have you contacted Springfield about that?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:22:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brentfoto] [#2]
Thanks for responding.  I picked up the firearm three days ago and have not contacted Springfield about it. Again, I don't remember this as an issue on prior XD's and wish this were otherwise.

I should add that the photo is a bit odd....what appears to be a round dimple above the 'bump' isn't really there.  Also, I tried getting a higher purchase on this grip and it felt better.  Examining the grip safety with the benefit of a flashlit view...the part looks and feels fine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brentfoto:
Thanks for responding.  I picked up the firearm three days ago and have not contacted Springfield about it. Again, I don't remember this as an issue on prior XD's and wish this were otherwise.
View Quote

Grind it off, sand it down a bit or buy the XDm grip safety piece itself and swap out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:50:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brentfoto] [#4]
Originally Posted By Rugby3:

Grind it off, sand it down a bit or buy the XDm grip safety piece itself and swap out.
View Quote

The first two will destroy the appearance for me, and I'm not competent to switch out the grip safety.  I may just let things be as they are, or break down and sand it down a bit.  Starter grit?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]

The first two will destroy the appearance for me, and I'm not competent to switch out the grip safety.  I may just let things be as they are, or break down and sand it down a bit.  Starter grit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rugby3:

Start with 600, 800 to remove very small amount to get where you want it, then work your way up to 1000-2000 wet sanding to clean it up. Plenty of tutorials online of this type of work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NN300BLK] [#6]

I should add that the photo is a bit odd....what appears to be a round dimple above the 'bump' isn't really there.  Also, I tried getting a higher purchase on this grip and it felt better.  Examining the grip safety with the benefit of a flashlit view...the part looks and feels fine.
View Quote

I'm glad to hear that the finish isn't rough.

The XDM Elite is the only model with the memory bump that I'm aware of and I can understand how it could cause discomfort due to different hand sizes, grip style, and grip placement. I have a very high grip typically, which very well may be why the memory bump doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 10:05:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brentfoto] [#7]
Originally Posted By NN300BLK:

I'm glad to hear that the finish isn't rough.

The XDM Elite is the only model with the memory bump that I'm aware of and I can understand how it could cause discomfort due to different hand sizes, grip style, and grip placement. I have a very high grip typically, which very well may be why the memory bump doesn't bother me.
View Quote

I am back to the original scenario which gave rise to this thread.  

I haven't even shot it yet and it hurts the web of my hand.  I'm a bit sensitive to that bump, and should mention that I've had carpel tunnel relief in that hand/wrist about two years ago.  He went in with a robot of some kind.  I've actually been doing pretty well- have not been wearing the usual hand braces for some time.

So, I want to do SOMETHING, but that has been trouble for me in the past when it comes to 'fixes'.

I do get rid of most firearms over time so how this cosmetic change will effect resale is a consideration, though with this one I think that resale is not likely.

Anyway, suppose that I'll take a dremel to it or it might be more prudent to hand sand it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 6:37:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brentfoto] [#12]
Thanks for all the suggestions and other help. It's really appreciated!

Did a combination of wet sanding and polishing with Mother's.  There was little rhyme or reason to any technique per se. I did go down to about 400 grit at one point and though the sharp edges have been reduced I may go further down in grit.  And then go up. Used a dremel quite a bit with soft polishing foam-like buffers.  To me, the appearance looks good and better than anticipated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top