Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2024 4:25:57 PM EDT
I went to move the sprinkler hose in my back yard (not far from Reid Road and 44th/42nd) and found a giant black bear turd (fresh one) about 4-5 feet from the post to my back deck.  I like wildlife, but a big black bear in my back yard isn't something I want to deal with.

My wife saw one in our back yard about a year ago, but this is the first evidence of it coming around since then.  The turd wasn't there yesterday...  We have a large green space behind our house, and a protected wetland preserve on another side.  I don't mind squirrels, raccoons, or deer coming around, but a bear (or cougar) isn't anything I want to deal with.   I had heard they were around Gig Harbor, but this is a bit too close to home.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Green belts are a highway for wildlife. One good thing about bears is that they scare away the homeless.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Stumps, that is an excellent point.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stumps:
Green belts are a highway for wildlife. One good thing about bears is that they scare away the homeless.
View Quote

Time to put Grizzlies in downtown Seattle
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
They’re more than likely scared of you. Just be sure to secure your garbage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You will be fine .
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not worried about me, I just don't want to deal with having to shoot a bear then dealing with the state about why I shot a bear.  

My yard is open on all sides but one, and we deliberately leave it open so the wildlife will be able to get to the wetland preserve and the green space.  I saw a really big 3 X 3 point buck this year, and last year a doe with twins in the backyard.  We often see does and smaller bucks.  This isn't the first time we have had a bear in the back yard, and we keep our garbage in a closed garage unless it is garbage pickup day.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#7]
They are in my yard every week. One was in my yard yesterday. I grabbed a pot and a pan and banged them together and it ran away

I keep a can of bear spray next to the kitchen door and obviously a gun handy. My working theory is that noise scares them so firing at the ground in their general area is likely to work, just the noise of the shot should be enough. If it doesn't, hey that's what standard cap mags are for, I will have 16 more hardcast rounds to go

But in the several years I've lived here banging pots and pans is all I've ever needed to do to run them off.

If you're really paranoid an electric fence will mostly deter them. They will climb over anything else
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Had one in gf's yard two days ago.  Looks like a young'un. 250-300 lbs. Slow walked right along the back deck then headed south into the shrubbery.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bobbitybobbity:
Had one in gf's yard two days ago.  Looks like a young'un. 250-300 lbs. Slow walked right along the back deck then headed south into the shrubbery.
View Quote

If your girlfriend looked like your avatar I suspect you wouldn't have noticed the bear.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Cops66:

Time to put Grizzlies in downtown Seattle
View Quote

This comment made my day...ty.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#11]
In my area, we've got black bears & mighty healthy looking mountain lions, at least judging from the trail cam pics I've recently seen.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By im_monster_man:

If your girlfriend looked like your avatar I suspect you wouldn't have noticed the bear.
View Quote
A boy can dream...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top