Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2024 10:16:42 AM EDT
Has anyone been to a "Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington" gun show in Battle Ground?  They have a show the weekend of 9/14.  I'll be going to the Wes Knodel show in Centralia on Saturday.  Is the other show worth the extra drive down (another hour plus)?  Thanks.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Teddydog:
Has anyone been to a "Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington" gun show in Battle Ground?  They have a show the weekend of 9/14.  I'll be going to the Wes Knodel show in Centralia on Saturday.  Is the other show worth the extra drive down (another hour plus)?  Thanks.

Rob
View Quote

Sadly the laws in this state killed the shows. I do plan to go check a few shows out that are coming up but it’s hard to have hope for anything decent anymore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The gun shows really lost a lot of their appeal when the online sales overtaking the market.

It was already kinda saddening, but then the gun laws went nuts in this state and now I think they’re on life support.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the laws here now suck.  But I still find lots of interesting non-gun items at shows, when there are a decent number of tables and vendors (those not selling wax, jewelry, jerky or other shit).  And as a C&R FFL holder, I have still found plenty of nice C&Rs to buy.  Again, when there are decent vendors.

So my question is still about any experience with this show, if it has been around for a bit.  Enough tables with good vendors to be worthwhile?

Rob
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:13:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Belial] [#4]
Long road to a small house IMHO. Not saying you won't find something, but last trips it was a small show. Good chatter and people, but not sure I would go if I had to make the drive for this only.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Yeah, the laws here now suck.  But I still find lots of interesting non-gun items at shows, when there are a decent number of tables and vendors (those not selling wax, jewelry, jerky or other shit).  And as a C&R FFL holder, I have still found plenty of nice C&Rs to buy.  Again, when there are decent vendors.

So my question is still about any experience with this show, if it has been around for a bit.  Enough tables with good vendors to be worthwhile?

Rob
View Quote

Little late now but I’ll give you a summary because it’s a recurring show and you might be interested in the next one.  I’m a regular and have a pretty good lay of the land.  

It’s a small show with a very consistent audience, and is one of a group of associated shows that often have significant vendor and attendant overlap.  Items are often the same from show to show, so the good deals are usually from whatever is new that shows up.  

No jerky or crap like that, it’s a proper gun show.  You will see coins, antique tools, or maybe some DVDs but there’ll be a gun or 3 next to those things on the table.  

Attendants and vendors are mostly 50+ and that impacts what is sold accordingly.  Lots of shotguns, bolt action hunting rifles, black powder, C&R, etc.  Lots of ammo and reloading stuff proportionally speaking.  Almost everything there is used.  

Prices are generally pretty good, and most people are open to negotiation.  Cash is king, and very few people accept card.  They can be sticklers for the rules and a little bit of safety nazis but not as bad as the big shows.  That being said, I’ve seen nonexistent laws self imposed by people there who are worried about the location not allowing them back if there’s a legal screw up.  

Far and away the biggest downside is the size, it’s just not that big of a show.  Hence the reason it opens at 8 am and closes about 1, that’s plenty of time to do 3-4 go arounds, see everything and head home.  

If I had to drive out of the way to go to it I would, but I’m a regular with buddies there and my interests generally align with what is plentiful there.  If I was an AR and AK guy and I didn't know anyone there I probably wouldn’t go out of my way.  

Today’s show was unusually small compared to normal, several normal venders were absent, and there were fewer attendees as well.  The show did get smaller when the ban hit, but not to the degree seen today.  If I had to guess a few people were just busy on the same day and I wouldn’t read too heavily into it.  

If you collect C&R make the drive next time the show happens.  If not, wait until its sister show, the Oregon Arms Collectors has its next show at Kliever memorial armory, or there’s a show at centralia.  Both have a large overlap with the battleground show, and are larger, from there you can decide for yourself if you think a show half as large in BG is worth the drive.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the detailed reply!  I did not go Saturday, but will see about making another one.

There WAS a Wes Knodel show this weekend and it was well attended.  Might have had something to do with the lower turn out down there.  I bought some ammo, some powder and little things.  And a Winchester 1895 in 30-40.  Yes, I'm into old weird stuff, C&Rs, milsurps, black powder and all that crap.  Sounds like I would like the show, outside of a long drive.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks for the detailed reply!  I did not go Saturday, but will see about making another one.

There WAS a Wes Knodel show this weekend and it was well attended.  Might have had something to do with the lower turn out down there.  I bought some ammo, some powder and little things.  And a Winchester 1895 in 30-40.  Yes, I'm into old weird stuff, C&Rs, milsurps, black powder and all that crap.  Sounds like I would like the show, outside of a long drive.

Rob
View Quote

That other show certainly might explain the absences.  

The OAC has a show on the 22nd, I know it’s even further of a drive, but it’s fairly similar.  If you decide to go there then go early, that’s when most of the best deals are made.  Doors open at 7.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 11:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#8]
I'm somehow hoping Reichert could find a way to give us some relief if he mops up in the election like he did last night in the debate. But really, the state legislature isn't going to change anything.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
BG show, PDX OAC show, and the occasional show in Carson are all good shows for folks who want to see used guns and stuff at decent pricing.  Not many big dealers set up at them.  Good for reloading supplies and accessories, and cheap guns.  Lots of stuff coming out of estates.  

Meanwhile, I cannot help but remind people to stay away from the Big Top Promotions shows!  Worst prices I have ever seen, mostly just the show promoter as the main vendor, and you have to pay before realizing that the show is quite small, and mainly just that one company.  Basically a traveling over priced gun shop.  When I got tricked, I paid a hefty entry fee, then saw it was a joke- prices were full retail + 25-50% or so on some stuff.  It was a fucking joke.  Was in and out in about 10 minutes.  Zero used guns at all, just ridiculous priced new ones.  Avoid at all costs unless you have more money than common sense!  As far as I am concerned they were just scamming folks of their entry fees.  

Just a reminder for those who might not already know- lots of posts about those folks here and other places.  Spread the word- they are to be avoided…

Link Posted: 9/21/2024 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a post warning of the Big Top "show" for quite a while before I forgot to update it and it got archived.  Thanks for helping spread the word!

I'm on my way now to check out the Falcon show in Silverdale.

rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top