Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2024 5:12:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos]
I heard from a guy a work with this week that ATF shut down Jo Jo's Gunsmithing.
He said they had Alcohol in the shop. {false}
That's really bad, now the only smith in Connecticut is Mitch in Fairfield

UPDATE 8/21/2024
Jojo's Gunworks LLC
JOJO'S GUNWORKS IS OPEN AND BACK TO CUSTOM GUNSMITHING.   WE ARE NOW JO-JO'S OUTDOORS LLC . SEE YOU SOON  ....

{title edit, strikeout edit, update edit.........modrapos}
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah lots of discussion on it over on the CTGuns subreddit almost a month ago.
JoJo’s closed by ATF?
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By T-TAC:
I heard from a guy a work with this week that ATF shut down Jo Jo's Gunsmithing.
He said they had Alcohol in the shop.
View Quote

Mitch is closing July- ATF again
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
He said they had Alcohol in the shop.
View Quote

Someone was drunk, or is there some law about booze in a gun store?
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s paperwork related-
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nutter:
It’s paperwork related-
View Quote

This is accurate on both counts. Mitch and JoJos. Feds are on the warpath, to make us safer and all…….
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
ATF is gay
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: group8] [#7]
Originally Posted By Gordo556:
ATF is gay
View Quote

https://www.atf.gov/about-atf/celebrating-lgbtqi-pride-month

Link Posted: 6/9/2024 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s paperwork related
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

And worth having a drink over
View Quote

There is a lot in there
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a paperwork issue. ATF currently has a zero tolerance policy, so JoJo's license was revoked.  They have been waiting for the new license to come through, and of this past Wednesday June 5, they were still waiting.

Personally knowing both involved (JoJo's & the customer), I can say that it flat out sucks.

View Quote

Good afternoon.  Place is still the same I see.

It was indeed a paperwork issue, one gun in particular.  Earlier this year, Biden directed the BATF to have a zero tolerance policy regarding amongst other things paperwork and bookkeeping.  Little mistakes that once just had to be rectified could be enough to have your FFL revoked.

They are not closing.  A new FFL for the same location has been applied for.  Until that license is granted, there are no sales of guns and anything you want gunsmithed, for now, cannot be the serial numbered part of the gun.  For example, they are mounting my thermal sight on my AR.  I had to leave the lower home and just give them the upper.  Same thing with mounting an RMR on my HK.  Only the slide.

Once the FFL is approved, it will be business as usual.  Again, they are not closed.  Just gunsmithing with the restrictions I mentioned above.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#13]
A fly on the wall told me the BATFE approached an individual who was going to "buy into" Jo-Jo's to remedy the problem. The ATF told this individual that if you are in any way a strawman for the current operator we will come down on you hard. Supposedly this individual walked away.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Blaster3094:
A fly on the wall told me the BATFE approached an individual who was going to "buy into" Jo-Jo's to remedy the problem. The ATF told this individual that if you are in any way a strawman for the current operator we will come down on you hard. Supposedly this individual walked away.
View Quote

My understanding is when they want you out of the business and they revoke your FFL, they want you out of the businesses and not affiliated in any way.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]

My understanding is when they want you out of the business and they revoke your FFL, they want you out of the businesses and not affiliated in any way.
View Quote

Not quite true, you cannot have a majority interest anymore for sure, but you cant be excluded unless it is in a deal you agree to for prosecution avoidance.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a brand name Dremel (Craftsman brand) and some harbor freight files
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]
It’s paperwork related-
View Quote

That is the way it is going to be from now on. Nobody can come out clean when the Feds decide it is time for you to go.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#20]

You'll need to do one of the following to avoid being loved tenderly:

* Only work on your own guns
* Perform the work on guns owned by others, at no charge
* Refuse to work on any frames or receivers owned by others (slides/barrels & accessories only)
* Become a licensed gunsmith
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
I have a brand name Dremel (Craftsman brand) and some harbor freight files

You'll need to do one of the following to avoid being loved tenderly:

* Only work on your own guns
* Perform the work on guns owned by others, at no charge
* Refuse to work on any frames or receivers owned by others (slides/barrels & accessories only)
* Become a licensed gunsmith

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:56:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmandak] [#21]
TONS OF INCORRECT INFO ON HERE AND OTHER FORUMS FROM HEARSAY

1- yes, they are open....... will remain open

2- They are still selling guns that they have in stock, cant order new guns or receive transfers or orders til NEW FFL license comes in ( very soon)

3- YES they still work on guns, right now they are taking appointments for any ginsmith work that has a serial number, slides barrels ect.... still taking in.

4- It was a paperwork issue, no alcohol or any B/S

Thet are open, still doing work and selling guns and stuff...... call if you need something done.......
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cmandak:

1- yes, they are open....... will remain open

2- They are still selling guns that they have in stock, cant order new guns or receive transfers or orders til NEW FFL license comes in ( very soon)

3- YES they still work on guns, right now they are taking appointments for any ginsmith work that has a serial number, slides barrels ect.... still taking in.

4- It was a paperwork issue, no alcohol or any B/S

Thet are open, still doing work and selling guns and stuff...... call if you need something done.......
View Quote

People love to gossip, make things up and create drama.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MikeOD82:

People love to gossip, make things up and create drama.
View Quote

The only gossip here was the booze...........everything else was based on truth
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
The only truth was the paperwork issues.

The being closed, them not selling guns or no gunsmithing was NOT TRUE as well...

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#25]
The only truth was the paperwork issues.

The being closed, them not selling guns or no gunsmithing was NOT TRUE as well...

View Quote

well parts were true or partially true........
and no one wants the truth .......
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#26]

well parts were true or partially true........
and no one wants the truth .......
View Quote

True that...

And FATF
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#27]

True that...

And FATF
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2024 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

To be fair, everything said by anyone could be considered hearsay or possible incorrect information unless the poster identifies exactly who they heard it from so people can evaluate the source. Or the person indicates they are either an employee of JoJo's or the ATF.

These kinds of discussions about a FFL/gun shop getting shut down by ATF always seem to start with "I heard" or "a friend in the know told me" or "someone told me". Rarely does it involve a store employee or owner (for various reasons) coming out and explaining what happened.

Not the first time ATF raked a FFL over the coals and shut them down over paperwork issues, and won't be the last.

My suspicion (if I put on the tinfoil hat) is that the state (more specifically gun hating Democrat politicians) would love to use the power of the state/ATF to shut down gun shops to strangle the legal sale of guns within CT. If I remember right the initial proposed HB6667 by Lamont had wanted to add a new state licensing structure (state license to sell firearms at retail) for FFL's which likely could have been used to shut down or reduce the numbers of FFL's within the state. (pure tinfoil hat speculation on my part )

What ever, hopefully JoJo's can resume full normal operations soon with a new FFL holder.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:21:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmandak] [#29]
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 5:14:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#30]
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nutter] [#31]

Well, then, allow me to put this "hearsay" nonsense to bed - I received my information directly from John @ JoJo's.  

I have been to JoJo's several times over the past few weeks; once on the morning of 5/19 to inspect a very nice early Colt 1911 (when John went into detail with me about what was going on), and then it has been brought up a few more times while I was there dropping off/picking up parts.  
There was an issue with one 4473 for one gun for one customer, from several years ago.  That's all it took for the ATF with their zero tolerance rule.  

Out of sheer happenstance I also happen to know the customer on the other side of the transaction, and they have confirmed the details.

• JoJo's is still open for business.

• They can sell current inventory prior to the new license.

• No new inventory can be received until the new license is issued.

• Parts & custom work are still happening, just no new frames/receivers can be logged into their bound book.

I look forward to continued visits there and spending more money with them.

View Quote

so ............is Ann Margret coming or not?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I read it on the internet, it has to be true
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#33]
He said they had Alcohol in the shop. {false}

{title edit, strikeout edit.........modrapos}
View Quote

You may want to edit "now the only smith in Connecticut is Mitch in Fairfield" as he is closing shopand is done- ATF and paperwork issues
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nutter] [#34]
hmmm....Attachment Attached File

Turns out they are closed.... 7 days a year! So there is obviously see truth to the statement- JoJo's is closed
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I hate to revive the thread, but I wanted to confirm, they are open/accepting new work? I'd call, but they would've closed 20 minutes ago

I fucked a screw up trying to take the rear sight plate off the P365 I bought yesterday
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#36]
they are starting to take in gunsmith work again starting today.....  hopefully next week they will be packed with guns and accessories for sale.....  give then them a call......
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 11:20:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bill1348] [#37]
Thanks. I'm actually sitting in their lobby right now. I didn't realize they just started taking work again, though the empty gun cases/shelves made me curious.

I guess I picked the right day to fuck things up

ETA: I was in and out in about 5 minutes. Screw extracted, optic installed, pet their 2 doggos while I waited.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bill1348:
I hate to revive the thread, but I wanted to confirm, they are open/accepting new work? I'd call, but they would've closed 20 minutes ago

I fucked a screw up trying to take the rear sight plate off the P365 I bought yesterday
View Quote
You could have just called them. It would have been faster and you could have arranged for a time to drop off your work at the same time. So I suspect you did not really hate to restart the thread.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By remarcablearms:
You could have just called them. It would have been faster and you could have arranged for a time to drop off your work at the same time. So I suspect you did not really hate to restart the thread.
View Quote

As I already stated, they would've closed 20 minutes prior to my post. I had also called anyway (which I didn't mention) and it just rang endlessly, at which point I remembered having read this thread. My sincere apologies for upsetting you, sir
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Per their Facebook page yesterday. They are now Jo-Jo's Outdoors LLC. They're open and back to custom gunsmithing:
https://www.facebook.com/jojosgunworks

Jojo's Gunworks LLC
JOJO'S GUNWORKS IS OPEN AND BACK TO CUSTOM GUNSMITHING.   WE ARE NOW JO-JO'S OUTDOORS LLC . SEE YOU SOON  ....
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top