Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2024 11:44:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain]
**** UPDATE **** (as of 10/09/24)
This is 100% legit.

HERE is a new link to the actual codified law, vs just a link to a bill text, as the bill is now law!  
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2024/Chapter135

Below quoted bill text is now codified into the law in Chapter 135: Section 45(k)

(k) A nonresident may carry a firearm on their person while in a vehicle lawfully traveling through the commonwealth; provided, however, that the firearm shall remain in the vehicle and if the firearm is outside its owner’s direct control it shall be stored in the vehicle in accordance with section 131C.

The nature of the text remains the same.  

The other provision mentioned in the bill that does NOT require non residents to register their firearms while traveling through the state (unlike those with nonresident LTCs who have to) is:

Section 32(d):

(d) This section shall not apply to firearms: (iii) possessed by individuals lawfully traveling through the commonwealth in the care and custody of a nonresident owner; provided, however, that the firearms are stored in accordance with sections 131C and 131L;

Section 131C
(a)
No person carrying a loaded firearm under a license issued pursuant to section 129B, 131 or 131F or through an exemption under section 129C shall carry the loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the loaded firearm while carried in the vehicle is under the direct control of the person. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

Section 131L

-------------------------------------------------------
Some GOOD NEWS for us NH residents from the MA bill that just passed.  Not sure if the high cap mag restrictions apply or not if just passing through.  It appears that if you DO stop for any reason (to get gas, grab a bite, etc) you are ok as long as you store your firearm in a locked container.  A locked glovebox, or center console, meets the 131c requirements for storage.

Here is the official bill text off the MA legislature's own website:  https://malegislature.gov/Bills/193/H4885

1302 (k) A nonresident may carry a firearm on their person while in a vehicle lawfully
1303 traveling through the commonwealth; provided, however, that the firearm shall remain in the
1304 vehicle and if the firearm is outside its owner’s direct control it shall be stored in the vehicle in
1305 accordance with section 131C.

Furthermore, if you are a non resident "just traveling through" you do NOT have to register your firearms in accordance to the new law (unlike everybody else).

421 (d) This section shall not apply to firearms:.....
424  (iii) possessed by individuals
425 lawfully traveling through the commonwealth in the care and custody of a nonresident owner;

So some good news for us nonresidents who would always try to avoid accidentally driving through MA like the plague (which was especially annoying considering that GPS would often route you through the state if you were traveling anywhere near the border).  

It's ironic that MA passes the most anti gun legislation in history for their own residents, and non residents actually gained freedom from it that they didn't have before!
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
There’s gotta be a catch.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALostKey:
View Quote

Well if there is, it has to be codified in the law somewhere.  

Show me the law!
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Yeah, it's you being proned out by some masshole cop for possessing a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FDC:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FDC:

100%!!!

They won't know, or care about the new law (esp at first).  And, as the old saying goes, you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.  Again, carry in MA (even if just driving through) at your own risk.  But, it is good to know that if you do accidentally skirt borders while en-route to your NH destination (a common occurrence for those who reside close to the border) that you are legally in the right.

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Blain:But, it is good to know that if you do accidentally skirt borders while en-route to your NH destination (a common occurrence for those who reside close to the border) that you are legally in the right
View Quote

I used to live in Windham, and this was a big problem - especially in Salem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I imagine it's something to do with the ongoing cases regarding this issue and MA lawmakers being concerned about their current law being eliminated totally in court.

https://www.doj.nh.gov/news-and-media/new-hampshire-files-brief-supporting-legal-challenge-application-massachusetts-gun

AKA, they know they're probably going to lose those cases, so they cut off the cases that can lose in court to keep the rest of the law.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By heavyduty:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By heavyduty:
Originally Posted By Blain:But, it is good to know that if you do accidentally skirt borders while en-route to your NH destination (a common occurrence for those who reside close to the border) that you are legally in the right

100%!!!

Anyone who lives, or frequents the southern part of the state has experienced these concerns first hand!

Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

I imagine it's something to do with the ongoing cases regarding this issue and MA lawmakers being concerned about their current law being eliminated totally in court.

https://www.doj.nh.gov/news-and-media/new-hampshire-files-brief-supporting-legal-challenge-application-massachusetts-gun

AKA, they know they're probably going to lose those cases, so they cut off the cases that can lose in court to keep the rest of the law.

That's a little different though.  Those were people who weren't just "passing through" say driving from Nashua to Keene and they crossed the border on route.  Those were people who were in MA for one reason or another.  Just carrying normally like they would be in NH.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless you're doing a quicker east/west dip, I don't see how going through Massachusetts gets us anywhere legal. Connecticut? New York?

It's a step, and I'm glad for it. I just don't see what it gets us except for a mulligan in a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:46:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#9]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
Unless you're doing a quicker east/west dip, I don't see how going through Massachusetts gets us anywhere legal. Connecticut? New York?

It's a step, and I'm glad for it. I just don't see what it gets us except for a mulligan in a traffic stop.
View Quote

If you live, work, or visit near the border those "dips" are vitally important...

Also, if you're south side, many routes to ME and VT take you through MA.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
I wonder how the law would pertain to, for example, driving down to Logan to drop somebody off. Is the law only for "passing through", like 18 USC ~ 926A, or can you have a destination in state?
View Quote

Having a destination in state is not "passing through".

Though I have heard it argued that, under this new law, if you DO stop you can lock your gun in a locked container (glove box / center console) and re-arm when you enter your vehicle to leave.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a true positive for me. I frequently travel from my border town in Newton, NH through MA south , then back in to NH to get to my gun club in Pelham.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 6:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#14]
Except those of us that deer hunt down there got screwed. Sounds like I need to buy a caplock muzzleloader or go archery only. Thanks a lot Healy and the rest of the moonbats.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 2:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt-Planet] [#15]
-e- Nevermind
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:
-e- Nevermind
View Quote

🤔
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#17]
With all the fuckery going on with the dictator in MA, not even going to chance it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#18]
So who is gonna try this first?
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 2:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: inGobwetrust] [#19]
In Minecraft I did this.  From Plaistow into Haverhill, up 495, then 93N to Salem.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#21]
This is 100% legit.

HERE is a new link to the actual codified law, vs just a link to a bill text, as the bill is now law!  
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2024/Chapter135

Below quoted bill text is now codified into the law in Chapter 135: Section 45(k)

(k) A nonresident may carry a firearm on their person while in a vehicle lawfully traveling through the commonwealth; provided, however, that the firearm shall remain in the vehicle and if the firearm is outside its owner’s direct control it shall be stored in the vehicle in accordance with section 131C.

The nature of the text remains the same.  

The other provision mentioned in the bill that does NOT require non residents to register their firearms while traveling through the state (unlike those with nonresident LTCs who have to) is:

Section 32(d):

(d) This section shall not apply to firearms: (iii) possessed by individuals lawfully traveling through the commonwealth in the care and custody of a nonresident owner; provided, however, that the firearms are stored in accordance with sections 131C and 131L;

Section 131C
(a)
No person carrying a loaded firearm under a license issued pursuant to section 129B, 131 or 131F or through an exemption under section 129C shall carry the loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the loaded firearm while carried in the vehicle is under the direct control of the person. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

Section 131L
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Blain:
This is 100% legit.

HERE is a new link to the actual codified law, vs just a link to a bill text, as the bill is now law
View Quote

It sounds good. But I would not want to be the test case.
Link Posted: 10/24/2024 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:

View Quote

Yeah, were sorta landlocked here as a 2A state. Sucks.
Never get off the boat.

Good for you guys in the lower half though, hopefully. Still wouldn't trust any MA cop to honor this new law though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top