Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2024 4:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fly223]
What's the scoop on pistol braces? Legal in Jersey or? Am I just able to purchase a brace put it onto my rifle? Or do I specifically have to purchase something called an other?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#1]
Originally Posted By fly223:
What's the scoop on pistol braces? Legal in Jersey or? Am I just able to purchase a brace put it onto my rifle? Or do I specifically have to purchase something called an other?
View Quote
No, you can't legally put a brace on a rifle in NJ. It would have to be a virgin lower that you build into an Other or purchase a complete Other through an FFL tp be legal.

Reddit has decent info on NJ Others. Here are some excerpts.

TLDR: An OTHER is a firearm that is not restricted to NJ's one evil feature limit. You can have a removable flash hider, shorter barrel, and adjustable brace.

YES, you can assemble your own, it will "cost less" and have more customization options.
View Quote

Very important: You CANNOT convert your current pistol or rifle to an OTHER/NON-NFA Firearm. Basically, you can't just swap your stock for a brace and slap a vertical grip on your RIFLE and call it an OTHER. That is 100% illegal and your dog will be mad at you.
View Quote

NOTE: In NJ you can be charged for having an Assault weapon if you are in possession of parts that could be readily assembled into an illegal/non-compliant firearm.

" 5. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person. "

I'm not mentioning this to scare you into not assembling one. I want you to know that there are "risks" and you should know up front. (Just don't invite a police officer to your house when you plan on putting it together and you'll be fine).

Back to the build.. so according to the letter, an OTHER/NON-NFA FIREARM:

Must be at 26 inches in overall length (OAL).

Must have a vertical foregrip.

Must not have a stock, instead use a stabilizing brace.
View Quote

More info here: NJ OTHER/NON-NFA FIREARMS (Info/Guide)

eta:

A recent NJ HTF thread:

NJ Others
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Demeroma:
No, you can't legally put a brace on a rifle in NJ. It would have to be a virgin lower that you build into an Other or purchase a complete Other through an FFL tp be legal.

Reddit has decent info on NJ Others. Here are some excerpts.

More info here: NJ OTHER/NON-NFA FIREARMS (Info/Guide)

eta:

A recent NJ HTF thread:

NJ Others
View Quote

Wonderful, thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top