Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2024 1:12:42 PM EDT
Guys, there is a very good chance I may receive a job offer in Washington. The job will is at Sea Tac,

You guy have me seriously thinking about saying no with the new gun laws. I currently live in Nevada , basically if I am reading correctly I can not bring anything with me. That will be a problem

Any advise or work arounds

Irish
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If banned stuff was not in WA when the Ban was passed you cannot bring it in.  

With that said no one will know, that is until one day someone turns you in, or the police dig into your life for some reason.  Well then you are fucked.

SeaTac, Burien, Suckwilla, White Center, most of  Des Moines, most of the west part of Kent, Federal Way, you probably do not want to live there.  Yes there are some nice areas, to be had but lots of $$$ and you still have to go to the ghetto to buy groceries.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input

Yea it sucks its a pretty good job , I have a good job now but had visions of fishing and hunting the Pacific Northwest
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You can pull it off and enjoy some of the natural wonders around here, but that will, almost certainly involve a commute. You can live in the city, but you'll hate it. The gun laws here have reached the point of massive noncompliance. You have options, most of which are not spoken in public.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikeyb76] [#4]
You don't get searched coming & going from WA.

It depends on your circumstances. How much you gonna get paid? COL difference between WA & NV is significant, iirc.

Worst practical case is you accept and move, and you can't take it with you. If you can negotiate, ask for a bit more than you think, and put non-WA-friendly stuff in storage in NV. Likely it's a ton cheaper there. I paid ~$250 for 10x15 in WA, in UT I paid $280 & $290 for 10x40 & 10x50.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
after all the second amendment is the second amendment.  The constitution trumps all state law!!
I find it hard to believe that if you cross a state line the law changes, the value of money doesn't, your drivers license doesn't, neither should the gun laws. my 2c
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Get your driver lic,register your vehicle who in the f is going to know you just moved here.
We welcome anyone here that is pro 2nd.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If you cannot stand the Left then I wouldnt move here. The natural environment is beautiful but the Left has absolutely destroyed it and made this state a den of unpunished crime, homelessness and absolutely horrendous drivers. I dont even advise my own brother to move here, as much as I miss him and his family.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Auburn area is decent.

In a totally liberal state,
Auburn does not put up
with homeless camping out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep an eye on the upcoming election. However the libs/antis are pretty dug in and not going anywhere.

If you like guns? Dont move to wa. By this coming july most likely all but the big box store FFLs will be out of business, and all transfers will be more expensive to pay for the new regs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
If banned stuff was not in WA when the Ban was passed you cannot bring it in.  

With that said no one will know, that is until one day someone turns you in, or the police dig into your life for some reason.  Well then you are fucked.

SeaTac, Burien, Suckwilla, White Center, most of  Des Moines, most of the west part of Kent, Federal Way, you probably do not want to live there.  Yes there are some nice areas, to be had but lots of $$$ and you still have to go to the ghetto to buy groceries.
View Quote

All of Seattle-Tacoma-Everett metro is mixed.  Characterizing any of those places as "ghetto" is incorrect.  If OP can afford a place valued around $800k he'll be fine anywhere, that's average.

My recommendation, if OP literally works at Sea-Tac, is to get a place within a very short commute or walking distance of Link Light Rail.  That could be anywhere, at present, from Bow Lake to Lynnwood.  Soon to include Eastside also.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RCS57:
after all the second amendment is the second amendment.  The constitution trumps all state law!!
I find it hard to believe that if you cross a state line the law changes, the value of money doesn't, your drivers license doesn't, neither should the gun laws. my 2c
View Quote

Hell. The Washington state constitution even says…

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

The morons in Olympia ignore it as well as the federal one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
My housing budget would be 1.5 to 2

I think I could work the logistics of storing stuff here in Nevada but even my haunting rifles are threaded

Lots to think about and I appreciate the candid intel

Irish
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:
If you cannot stand the Left then I wouldnt move here. The natural environment is beautiful but the Left has absolutely destroyed it and made this state a den of unpunished crime, homelessness and absolutely horrendous drivers. I dont even advise my own brother to move here, as much as I miss him and his family.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By IrishHunter:
My housing budget would be 1.5 to 2

I think I could work the logistics of storing stuff here in Nevada but even my haunting rifles are threaded

Lots to think about and I appreciate the candid intel

Irish
View Quote

Hunting rifles are bolt action or semi?

If you’re talking a threaded barrel on a bolt gun they are still legal here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes on bolt guns
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes on bolt guns
View Quote

Those can come in regardless of the configurations.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're into firearms then I would say stay away. It is only going to get worse every year. It is shocking how things has changed over a decade. I thought it was great they legalized usage of silencers and SBRs.. Now they ban semi autos and likely going to go after ammo and such like Kalifornia
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#19]
To parrot everybody else, I only returned back to WA after retiring cuz I was born and raised here and most of my family is still here as well.

As mentioned, our firearm laws are among the worst in the country and will only be getting worse in the coming years.  I live in the metro Seattle area/King County and “I,” even as a retired LEO, wouldn’t risk violating our laws since our court/legal system is a complete train wreck, where if you’re a career criminal, you will likely get a free pass on most every crime, but being a hard working, tax paying and honest citizen, the courts will do everything in its powers to screw you over… Especially if they think you’re a conservative or just leaning toward conservative.

FYI, if you’re ever arrested in the Seattle area, just wear a dress and a fucked ratty ass “too small” wig to court WHILE wearing the brightest red lipstick, the charges against you will likely be dropped.  REMEMBER!!  To make this work, the wig has to be too small, worn crookedly and have two Pipi Longstocking’s pigtails!

With the governor elections coming in November, the freaking idiot who is likely to win will make things even more difficult for most every firearm owns in this state, stating in 2025.

Please do your research on our taxes, crime, QOL issues, and our high COL before making a final decision on moving here.  If “I” worked at Sea Tac, I would check out the Southeast Auburn area to live… Yes, there is plenty of crime in the low laying areas of this small city, but the higher up you go to live, the crime levels greatly decreases.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Stump70:
Auburn area is decent.

Auburn does not put up
View Quote
Looks over from E.WA, Nyet, Ta'Varish..
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]
If "I" worked in SeaTac, I'd live on Vashon Island. Poor people can't afford the ferries.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Guys, there is a very good chance I may receive a job offer in Washington. The job will is at Sea Tac,

You guy have me seriously thinking about saying no with the new gun laws. I currently live in Nevada , basically if I am reading correctly I can not bring anything with me. That will be a problem

Any advise or work arounds

Irish
View Quote

You probably get the idea by now about the laws.  If you don't plan on using a semi auto rifle in a self defense scenario, it's unlikely the police will ever ask you questions about it.  Don't conceal carry anything with a 10+ round magazine.  You don't want to get asked questions about it after a self defense scenario.  

As for places to live, Federal Way is probably the best for your commute.  You can get to Seatac in 20-30 minutes if traffic isn't horrible.  Don't get a place close to Pac Hwy.  That's where the scumbags hang out.  Go West to Northeast Tacoma if you can afford it.  Don't consider Des Moines unless you're half deaf.  It's right over the airports flight path and it is loud, all the time.  You can find some cheaper rent in Tacoma, but research the neighborhood since there are bad areas.  I know a few people who live in Puyallup, but that's going to be a longer commute.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
If "I" worked in SeaTac, I'd live on Vashon Island. Poor people can't afford the ferries.
View Quote

I considered that for a time.  I rode a motorcycle to work so I'd be first on the ferry.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks all , I will update after the 5th , that’s when things get a bit more serious.
Another question how is the trail riding for dirt bikes ? Does it even exist
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 1:10:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JackRebney] [#25]
Another question how is the trail riding for dirt bikes ? Does it even exist
View Quote

lol

lololol

Only some of the best riding you'll ever find.

Link Posted: 9/3/2024 10:08:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cycletool] [#26]
Originally Posted By bobbitybobbity:
You can pull it off and enjoy some of the natural wonders around here, but that will, almost certainly involve a commute. You can live in the city, but you'll hate it. The gun laws here have reached the point of massive noncompliance. You have options, most of which are not spoken in public.
View Quote

I’ll speak of a conversation I had with a state trooper.

In a nutshell he said:

We are not enforcing this shit. Go and find an example of someone who’s been arrested and you won’t. (To my knowledge only one individual has been charged with anything gun related in reference to the laws passed in the last 8 or so years and it was an add on charge that was dropped.) They won’t prosecute anyone because the laws are blatantly unconstitutional and if they prosecute the person can claim damages and challenge the laws.

This was an eastside trooper who buys at our gun counter.

ETA-I live on the eastside of the state. In Spokane. The east side and the west side are very different politically.

I work a gun counter. Here is what we still sell. (I know some here will say we are breaking the law, but, we have had our lawyers look into this and have had no issues with state authorities.)

Most semi auto center fire rifles were banned by name. If they weren’t banned by name, it was then by a series of features. Here’s a short list of what got through.

Ruger mini 14 with non pistol grip stocks and non threaded barrels.

Ruger pc carbine

M1 garand

M1 carbine

Browning BAR hunting rifles

All rim fire are ok.

Pistols can’t have threaded barrels or accept a magazine anywhere but the pistol grip.

Semi shotguns can’t accept a magazine or have a tube that will accept more than 7 shells.

No pistol grips on semi shotguns.

We still sell Benelli m4s, Beretta 1301s, Mossberg 930, 940.

With a housing budget of 1.5 to 2 mil you will be able to find housing in great areas that don’t have the problems that you hear about on a daily basis. You will run into people on public transportation and see them on the street but you can probably structure your life to minimize contact and have no problems. Traffic sucks in that area.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 3:58:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2T2_Crash] [#27]

Just please dont be one of the dumb fucks that goes trail riding around known hunting grounds during Elk season.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By cycletool:
Pistols can’t have threaded barrels or accept a magazine anywhere but the pistol grip.
View Quote
@cycletool

So that means pistol ar15's?
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By WorkDroid:
@cycletool

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WorkDroid:
Originally Posted By cycletool:
@cycletool

We have chosen not to sell AR pistols or anything else than utilizes and AR lower.

This may change if someone chooses to order a bolt action rifle that is designed from the ground up and sold as such.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Just please dont be one of the dumb fucks that goes trail riding around known hunting grounds during Elk season.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I see plenty of Elk on my bike, you should've seen the herd I spooked deep in the woods a couple days ago
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 161Infantry:
Looks over from E.WA, Nyet, Ta'Varish..
View Quote

Ok, point.

But King County controls the state.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:50:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Poppaduc] [#32]
Originally Posted By Stump70:
Auburn area is decent.

Auburn does not put up
View Quote

Auburn apparently is having gang violence problems.

https://mynorthwest.com/3985634/harger-theres-no-sugarcoating-it-auburn-overrun-with-gang-violence/
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, I wouldn’t do it.
This state certainly is gorgeous. It’s sad the Seattle (or California) virus is spreading rapidly. Not to mention we are soon going to have a radical new governor. My gun collection wants me to move. I have a great job here and I just can’t abandon my Mother after my Dad passed. Yet I’m already looking into other states.

Don’t do it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RCS57:
View Quote

Tell that to Turd Ferguson
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stump70] [#35]
Originally Posted By Poppaduc:

https://mynorthwest.com/3985634/harger-theres-no-sugarcoating-it-auburn-overrun-with-gang-violence/
View Quote

Trailer Parks on the very edge of town.
Practically Algona.

M street is almost straight and the fastest way.
I haven’t heard any more than usual police traffic.

Too far away to hear gunfire though.

ETA: See which street cops would be headed down.
Wouldn’t hear that increase in police traffic.

I should get a scanner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Poppaduc:

View Quote

This is true, just like most everywhere else in Western Washington.  But there are several good areas in Auburn that are still relatively safe… Nothing is ever completely safe, but there are areas in SE Auburn where women still walk outside and kids ride their bikes to friends homes without issues. Yes, the downtown and valley areas of the city is where most of the issue reside since one of the factors is that’s where all the public transportation is located… Any location near public transportation routes will often have issues.  In my neighborhood, over half of the homes are owned by either active/retired LEOs or active/retired military, so that’s one of the reasons why it’s still relatively safe. Plus, we’re several miles away from the nearest bus stop. Hell, we don’t even have fucking issue with porch pirates… Yet!  

The bottom line is that there is no completely safe areas within the metro Seattle/Tacoma area… Unless you’re a multi millionaire, living in one of the many gated community with its own 24/7 armed private security force patrolling the area.

OP, “I” wouldn’t move to WA, just do your research before coming.  Regardless, good luck on what ever you end up doing!!

Yes, our gun laws suck and we’re about to get the worst possible governor in a few months, but it’s still a beautiful state… Second only to Alaska… IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I really appreciate everyone’s input , I think I’m just gonna stay put in Nevada until a more like minded opportunity shows itself

Irish
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Smart man
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By slughunter1:
Get your driver lic,register your vehicle who in the f is going to know you just moved here.
We welcome anyone here that is pro 2nd.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

But, can you depend on the ferries running everyday?
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I really appreciate everyone’s input , I think I’m just gonna stay put in Nevada until a more like minded opportunity shows itself

Irish
View Quote

Unfortunately this is the correct response.  WA has amazing hunting, fishing, and outdoor activities.  It also went from one of the better states for gun owners to one of the worst pretty much over night.  Liberal policies all around are flat out ruining the state.  

The fact that we see some here actually worried about things that are not even in the law means that the chilling effect the anti gun folks want is working.

As already pointed out, nobody is currently getting arrested on these charges, some dealers have been dealt with severely though.  But local DA’s do not want to be the ones responsible to fight for the validity of questionable law (in red areas), nor in blue areas to be the person who caused the law to be over turned because they issued a lot of cases under it.  This kind of thing has been a huge issue forever- laws on the books, but  nobody dares to test them.  

I have literally heard a DA say not to use a local gun law before, as they didn’t think it would pass muster constitutionally (wasn’t a WA DA, but the same situations comes up here trust me, and this was the most liberal county in the state where it was said).
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I guess I'm on the other side of things when it comes to all of this. I like Washington. I really do. Yes, its no secret the politics suck and I wont pretend otherwise. I wont go into that as I feel its probbaly already been covered. Now, put that aside and tell me how often that actually impacts or changes your day to day life.

We're towards the top for amount of public land available in the state. We have some of the best hiking, biking and motorcycling trails in the world. We have all the fishing you'll ever want to do for both fresh and salt water and a whole slew of hunting if you can handle the terrain. You can still carry your pistol every day, and theres a laundry list of shooting competitions and organizations if you actually want to get out and use your gear. I promise you theres no shortage of opportunities to make brass.

The crime isnt that bad, I mean lets be real the Pacific NorthWhite community doesnt really understand what a ghetto is. (I mean shit, Chicago makes more bodies in a weekend than Tacoma does in  a year!)

So yes, Washington has some entries in the "cons" column. I wouldnt let that overshadow the stuff in the "pros" column. All of that said....Its a pain in the dick to replace parts. Hopefully you have good friends or family that live out of state. Thats all I'll say on that.

Link Posted: 9/23/2024 12:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#43]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
I guess I'm on the other side of things when it comes to all of this. I like Washington. I really do. Yes, its no secret the politics suck and I wont pretend otherwise. I wont go into that as I feel its probbaly already been covered. Now, put that aside and tell me how often that actually impacts or changes your day to day life.

We're towards the top for amount of public land available in the state. We have some of the best hiking, biking and motorcycling trails in the world. We have all the fishing you'll ever want to do for both fresh and salt water and a whole slew of hunting if you can handle the terrain. You can still carry your pistol every day, and theres a laundry list of shooting competitions and organizations if you actually want to get out and use your gear. I promise you theres no shortage of opportunities to make brass.

The crime isnt that bad, I mean lets be real the Pacific NorthWhite community doesnt really understand what a ghetto is. (I mean shit, Chicago makes more bodies in a weekend than Tacoma does in  a year!)

So yes, Washington has some entries in the "cons" column. I wouldnt let that overshadow the stuff in the "pros" column. All of that said....Its a pain in the dick to replace parts. Hopefully you have good friends or family that live out of state. Thats all I'll say on that.

View Quote

The fishing here sucks compared to what it used to be. The salmon runs keep getting smaller and almost non existent. Hatcheries keep getting shut down by the state and they don’t care. We might have great hiking here maybe 3 months out of the year.

Don’t get me wrong, the state has some great things, but they are dwindling away just like our constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Cops66:

The fishing here sucks compared to what it used to be. The salmon runs keep getting smaller and almost non existent. Hatcheries keep getting shut down by the state and they don't care. We might have great hiking here maybe 3 months out of the year.

Don't get me wrong, the state has some great things, but they are dwindling away just like our constitutional rights.
View Quote

Do you even hike?
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 5:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#45]

Do you even hike?
View Quote

I do, but not when the weather sucks. Had to deal with the weather in my 32 years in LE and still have to in the reserves, so on my own time, has to be decent weather. If I lived in Eastern WA, might be a little better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Ah, the fair weather hiker.

We used to climb Helens in August, so we'd hit the trails early to get ready for it. Always bring a rain jacket.

I actually prefer colder hikes (not wet ones) because I get overheated.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Ah, the fair weather hiker.

We used to climb Helens in August, so we'd hit the trails early to get ready for it. Always bring a rain jacket.

I actually prefer colder hikes (not wet ones) because I get overheated.
View Quote

I don’t mind hiking in the cold weather, but wet and muddy is not fun to me. On those days I walk the many paved trails in the area :)
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 6:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#48]
So what’s the over/under this 13hr old wall siding will be tagged with graffiti by them time I get there tonight?

Also had a new conversation on the street…”oh, man why you repairing and fixing this wall. The people of Seattle voted for this, let them enjoy it…they literally voted for this”

Link Posted: 10/4/2024 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:
So what’s the over/under this 13hr old wall siding will be tagged with graffiti by them time I get there tonight?

Also had a new conversation on the street…”oh, man why you repairing and fixing this wall. The people of Seattle voted for this, let them enjoy it…they literally voted for this”

https://i.imgur.com/5LYvT0S.jpg
View Quote

Yep and come November, they will do it again
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I wouldnt let that overshadow the stuff in the "pros" column.
View Quote

Let's come back to how you feel after this next election and Ferguson is the governor. I'm predicting a mass exodus of which I'm gonna be part of.  I agree with your reasons this state is great but the cons are about to have a two-ton ass drop on the scale. I went though this 11 years ago when we had to move from New York and it has the same feeling this time.  New York started with magazine capacity, that's the main reason we left, and we've seen how it's continued from there.  Another prediction: red flag laws are going to be a major weapon used against Washington gun owners, New York started this as we left and it's only gotten worse.  The federal government is incentivizing state governments to use them, Ferguson is gonna be at the front of the line. I love it here too, wanted to make this my last move. Unfortunately, at this point in my life I don't want to be standing right up to their line in the sand they're drawing.  Tired of being infringed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top