Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2024 5:21:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC]
Timothy Bishop Plea and Sentencing

Concord, NH – Attorney General John M. Formella announces that Timothy Bishop, age 52, of Berlin, New Hampshire, has pleaded guilty in the Coos County Superior Court to two counts of Sale of a Controlled Drug, Fentanyl, subsequent offense, three counts of Conspiracy to Sell a Controlled Drug, fentanyl, subsequent offense, two counts of Conspiracy to Sell a Controlled Drug, cocaine, subsequent offense, and one count of sale of a pistol or revolver without a license.
The court sentenced Timothy Bishop as follows:

SNIP

-    3 ½ to 7 years in the New Hampshire State Prison, all suspended for 10 years upon release from incarceration on the above charge, for the charge of sale of a pistol or revolver without a license to a confidential informant on April 11, 2024.
The evidence in this case established that Timothy Bishop, after previously being convicted of a drug offense, was trafficking substantial quantities of fentanyl and cocaine in northern New Hampshire. Bishop sold or coordinated the sale of controlled drugs to a confidential informant on multiple occasions, and on one occasion illegally sold a firearm as well.
View Quote

So dude is obviously a shitbag and he'll spend time in jail for his other stuff.  GOOD!

Curious as to what RSA this dude was charged with because a possible 3.5 to 7 for 159:14 seems a bit much.  

There are other RSAs about sales, but 'license' has me asking questions here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 6:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#1]
Maybe 159:8? 159.7 too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
159:8, III.

Essentially I'd imagine it's selling a gun to someone who he knows is a felon. Except that felon is also a CI.

I assume. I have no personal knowledge of this case.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That makes sense.

159 really needs to make a distinction between businesses and personal.

159:8 seems to reference businesses.  Can item III be broken out to pertain to individuals?  That slightly changes my FTF transaction procedures if it does.

159:8 License to Sell. –
The selectmen of a town and the chief of police of a city may grant licenses, the form of which shall be prescribed by the director of the division of state police, effective for not more than 3 years from date of issue, permitting the licensee to sell at retail pistols and revolvers subject to the following conditions, for breach of any of which the licensee shall be subject to forfeiture:
I. The business shall be carried on only in the building designated in the license or at any organized sporting show or arms collectors' meeting sponsored by a chartered club or organization.
II. The license or a copy thereof, certified by the issuing authority, shall be displayed on the premises where it can easily be read.
III. No pistol, revolver, or other firearm shall be delivered to a purchaser not personally known to the seller or who does not present clear evidence of his identity; nor to a person who has been convicted of a felony.

This one is kind of weird too.

159:10 Sale Without License. – Any person who, without being licensed as herein provided, sells, advertises or exposes for sale, or has in his possession with intent to sell, pistols or revolvers shall be guilty of a class B felony if a natural person, or guilty of a felony if any other person.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess they are saying he should have had a license as described in 159:8 and he sold it to a felon 159:7. Violating 159:7 is a Class B Felony.

Class B Felony = 3.5-7 years.

https://www.russmanlaw.com/new-hampshire-classification-of-offenses
Link Posted: 10/21/2024 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Where are you seeing all those statues?
Link Posted: 10/21/2024 6:05:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#6]
General Court site.

https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/

Under Laws/RSA--->Browse Index of Titles

Pistols and Revolvers is Chapter 159
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top