Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2024 9:14:00 AM EDT
I'm an Ohioan on a long journey across I-70 with a new car. The best place to break up my trip is the St. Louis area. I define area as, up to an hour out from I-70.

I'm seeking recommendations for the safest possible place to stay overnight with a new car. I'm more concerned about the security of my car than anything else. I hear bad things about St. Louis, maybe I'm wrong idk-thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By OneRanger:
I'm an Ohioan on a long journey across I-70 with a new car. The best place to break up my trip is the St. Louis area. I define area as, up to an hour out from I-70.

I'm seeking recommendations for the safest possible place to stay overnight with a new car. I'm more concerned about the security of my car than anything else. I hear bad things about St. Louis, maybe I'm wrong idk-thanks in advance for the help.
View Quote

Somewhere out 70 west of STL in St. Charles or Warren County is good.......St Peters, Ofallon, Wentzeville, Warrenton, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd stay somewhere in the Chesterfield Valley (near Spirit of St. Louis Airport), which is off I-64 and not a long detour from I-70.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The safest place to stay in St Louis is probably in Columbia
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Fellow Ohioan and St Louis native.

Anywhere west of the Missouri River will be good to sleep, so St. Charles, Wentzville, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By delorean:

Somewhere out 70 west of STL in St. Charles or Warren County is good.......St Peters, Ofallon, Wentzeville, Warrenton, etc.
View Quote

This ^

I've lived here 69+ years and I keep moving west, now living in O'Fallon .  I'd recommend Wentzville, Warrenton, Wright City.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 11:17:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#7]
Originally Posted By showmeballer:
I'd stay somewhere in the Chesterfield Valley (near Spirit of St. Louis Airport), which is off I-64 and not a long detour from I-70.
View Quote

Family does New Years at the Hilton Doubletree every year.

Anything off I70 past the airport will be fairly nice.

If you get as far as Warrenton don't expect "nice" as much as "homey".

And "homey" isn't "nice".

I don't think I'd worry too much about safety anywhere along the interstate. Even in the city it's going to be mostly reputable chain hotels.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

I think he's more concerned about the parking though, for his new car.
View Quote
Yeah, that's why I mentioned Chesterfield.  Nothing wrong with the other suggestions, but if my primary concern was vehicle safety, I'd probably stay at the Holiday Inn Express in the valley and park my car next door in the Bently/Lambo dealers lot.  That place has to be covered with cameras.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 12:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#10]
Any big name brand hotel from the airport west should be just fine for an overnight stay. Nobody is going to mess with your car in a decent hotel parking lot.

That said, my biggest concern would be timing my path through St. Louis around traffic. St. Louis traffic SUCKS. As much as possible try to avoid the area during times when people are going to or from work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Any big name brand hotel from the airport west should be just fine for an overnight stay. Nobody is going to mess with your car in a decent hotel parking lot.

That said, my biggest concern would be timing my path through St. Louis around traffic. St. Louis traffic SUCKS. As much as possible try to avoid the area during times when people are going to or from work.
View Quote
Yeah, they will.  I'm a police officer who works a lot of secondary for the Hilton and Marriott chains.  All of the hotels near the airport get hit quite regularly with car thefts and break ins.  Just contact Edmundson, St. Ann, Berkeley PDs etc.  I'd do Wentzville personally.  Nicest place past that is the Holiday Inn at Warrenton.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bwideman:
Yeah, they will.  I'm a police officer who works a lot of secondary for the Hilton and Marriott chains.  All of the hotels near the airport get hit quite regularly with car thefts and break ins.  Just contact Edmundson, St. Ann, Berkeley PDs etc.  I'd do Wentzville personally.  Nicest place past that is the Holiday Inn at Warrenton.
View Quote

So it's your fault then, huh? . . . (just kidding)
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:22:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I like Holiday Inn Express as most of the hotels are either newer or remodeled. They have good breakfast, the rooms are clean, the beds are soft, and you have a choice of pillows.

Major chain hotels like the Holiday Inn Express have cameras near the front door. I always try to park near the front door overnight.

Don't park behind the hotel.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in STL a few times a year and have had no problems staying at the Best Western in Kirkwood.  From what I've heard, much of the riff raff in that general area got pushed east to build that big area of restaurants and stores.  Just a quick hop over to Texas Roadhouse if I want a steak, Chipotle if I want to roll the dice on there being a bathroom nearby later, or walk through the hotel for a burger at Chili's.

Still suggest carrying at all times, and locking your car doors, because STL.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By johnny_dot_exe:
I'm in STL a few times a year and have had no problems staying at the Best Western in Kirkwood.  From what I've heard, much of the riff raff in that general area got pushed east to build that big area of restaurants and stores.  Just a quick hop over to Texas Roadhouse if I want a steak, Chipotle if I want to roll the dice on there being a bathroom nearby later, or walk through the hotel for a burger at Chili's.

Still suggest carrying at all times, and locking your car doors, because STL.
View Quote

Try The Stormin' Crab sometime. It's about the only seafood bucket restaurant left in the area these days. But you might want to abide by the Chipotle protocol with them just in case.

I miss S&P Oyster company and I don't get to the South Broadway oyster bar often enough to keep up an opinion on them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a dude try n car jack me at an intersection in Stl.    I didn't have anywhere to go but I Saw him get out of the car behind me and I already had my pistol unholstered and pointed towards the door cuz I knew it was coming. Started to go to knock on the window to be met with a pistol pointed at him and it changed his mind. St. Louis, sucks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top