Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/26/2024 2:52:42 PM EDT
I have personal first hand knowledge of a AGR (Active Guard Reserve) SSG Recruiter of the Iowa Army National Guard, who knew his father was a drug dealer, convicted felon and received a dishonorable discharge after desertion.

He allowed his fathers DD 214 from when he was in the National Guard to be used as a basis for receiving burial rights from the American Legion Post and a Honor Guard from the Iowa Army National Guard, suppressing the information about his father's dishonorable service. (His father never filed his DD-214 for his dishonorable discharge with the local country recorders office)

In my opinion, this is Stolen Valor by the AGR Recruiter on behalf of his deceased father, conduct unbecoming of an NCO, fraud, conduct unbecoming of a active duty recruiter who is suppose to be an example in the community.

I am in a position to obtain the father's DD-214 from his dishonorable discharge, just waiting on the National Personal Records Center.

What would you do? Report this or let it go?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ToolMaker59:
I have personal first hand knowledge of a AGR (Active Guard Reserve) SSG Recruiter of the Iowa Army National Guard, who knew his father was a drug dealer, convicted felon and received a dishonorable discharge after desertion.

He allowed his fathers DD 214 from when he was in the National Guard to be used as a basis for receiving burial rights from the American Legion Post and a Honor Guard from the Iowa Army National Guard, suppressing the information about his father's dishonorable service. (His father never filed his DD-214 for his dishonorable discharge with the local country recorders office)

In my opinion, this is Stolen Valor by the AGR Recruiter on behalf of his deceased father, conduct unbecoming of an NCO, fraud, conduct unbecoming of a active duty recruiter who is suppose to be an example in the community.

I am in a position to obtain the father's DD-214 from his dishonorable discharge, just waiting on the National Personal Records Center.

What would you do? Report this or let it go?
View Quote

My thoughts:
He probably loved his father and wanted to see him honored during his burial. I would think any son would.

But, his father was not honorable and disgraced himself during his service. As someone who was in the military, his father lost those rewards and not only dishonored himself, but also his country by his conduct. As a result of his actions he was given a dishonorable discharge and was kicked out of the military, he lost the right to be buried with honors. His son knew that and as a currently serving staff sergeant in the United States Army, he should know better and have the integrity to not lie or deceive. It also sounds like fraud if he submitted a dd-214 that didn't contain his fathers dishonorable discharge and submitted one with his discharge omitted.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Iowa national guard inspector general. Don’t know who it is now ,I retired in 2015
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone. I've decided that as soon as I gather my documentation, I will be sending a letter to the Inspection General. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Good move on the IG complaint.  Not only is this just plain wrong, it reflects badly on the integrity of the NCO that committed this offense.  The more people do stuff like this and get away with it, the more it will keep happening.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top