Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 2:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Danted]
Long story short, my wife is convinced her terminal dog is missing out on a life experience by not seeing snow ever. The dog is cold when it's 70 and wears a jacket happily, but I digress.
 Dog has a year or so hopefully so we are planing a road trip from sunny  extremely south Florida.
Looking at a map it seems like I have pretty good chance of finding snow in December in Mt mitchell area?  Any locals can confirm? Any thing else to do in the area in the winter, with a dog in tow?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The way our weather is anymore, you'd be much better off heading to a ski slope in Banner Elk, where at least they make snow.

I think the Asheville area got snow once last year, and it was mostly gone by lunch.

Good luck with the doggy....
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting to Mt Mitchell in the winter may be difficult.  Access is via the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is controlled by the National Park Service.  They are quick to close large sections in the winter due to ice and snow.  Other options like Clingman's Dome or Roan High Knob have a state highway passing by, but the access roads may be closed due to snow and ice.  So you may have to walk a few miles to get to the top.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:14:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rebel_rifle] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Getting to Mt Mitchell in the winter may be difficult.  Access is via the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is controlled by the National Park Service.  They are quick to close large sections in the winter due to ice and snow.  Other options like Clingman's Dome or Roan High Knob have a state highway passing by, but the access roads may be closed due to snow and ice.  So you may have to walk a few miles to get to the top.
View Quote

Clingmans DR is closed by the NPS in the late fall every year. It’s a good way off of 441,too far to walk or hike plus they also close 441 at the first hint of bad weather.

When bad weather is forecast in the winter the entire GSMNP is closed. Good reason too as getting in and out is risky at best and there is no cell service in the park.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#4]
December can be ify up here.

If you’re determined to see snow I’d come up to Banner Elk and go to Sugar or Beech Mountain as others have said. Sugar tries their best to have their slopes open by Thanksgiving.

January and February typically have more snow than December.

However, December 16th last year. Me and my oldest at Sugar

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
At the first sign of snow the Park Service will close the Blue Ridge Parkway as others have said.

If you don't want to go as far as Blowing Rock, consider Cataloochee Ski Area just west of Asheville.

https://cataloochee.com/the-mountain/cataloochee-ski-area-statistics-and-facts/

The moment the temperature drops below freezing they start making snow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top