Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2010 5:58:59 PM EDT
Here is a good pic of some pig hitting a pig pipe. They rolled it around for a couple of hours before the had their fill.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish we had hogs down at the lease.

All we have is deer, turkey & snakes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that some kind of homemade feeder?
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a 5 foot piece of pvc with some fittings and 4, 5/8" holes drilled in it. Drive a stake in the ground and put a chain or wire with some swivels on it and your done.
They work great for hogs. There is a chamber in the end of mine that has some small rocks in it, so when its out of corn it still sounds like its still got some in it. You can find plans on the net. I keep between 5 and 10 going year round.
The hogs love them and the rest of the animals leave them alone. We call this a crop circle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its a 5 foot piece of pvc with some fittings and 4, 5/8" holes drilled in it. Drive a stake in the ground and put a chain or wire with some swivels on it and your done.
They work great for hogs. There is a chamber in the end of mine that has some small rocks in it, so when its out of corn it still sounds like its still got some in it. You can find plans on the net. I keep between 5 and 10 going year round.
The hogs love them and the rest of the animals leave them alone. We call this a crop circle.
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/todd458/hoglights005.jpg

So will they keep coming back after you massacre a bunch of them there? Or will the become pipe wary?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
5 of the hogs in the first pic are no longer with us. It took the rest of the group 4 days before they came back. Each pipe will hold about 30 lbs of corn and depending on the number of hogs hitting it it can take 1 to 5 days for them to empty it. You can always tell when they are hitting the pipe because it gets moved.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen one of those ripped off the stake and rolled 200 feet down into a canyon.

They are fun to hunt with because they make noise
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
That is so awesome
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/todd458/hoglights005.jpg

So will they keep coming back after you massacre a bunch of them there? Or will the become pipe wary?

I've been using them for years, but they do become "pipe wary."  We hunt so much that we see them change their behavior in response to the pressure.  We have had a wet year, so they are not pressured for food, and that also reduces their movement and the chance to kill them.

The deer and raccoons on my place do roll these around since they are no dummies.  They know what's in there.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Whats the advantage to using a pipe to a regular broadcast feeder?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whats the advantage to using a pipe to a regular broadcast feeder?

Easier to tell when the pigs are hitting the feeder.  It's also cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The coons work on mine until they have enlarged the holes too much.  Last weekend I epoxied some metal washers over the enlarged holes to cut back down on how fast the corn comes out.  I have no idea if they will hold.

Any other suggestions for keeping the raccoons from tearing them up?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The coons work on mine until they have enlarged the holes too much.  Last weekend I epoxied some metal washers over the enlarged holes to cut back down on how fast the corn comes out.  I have no idea if they will hold.

Any other suggestions for keeping the raccoons from tearing them up?

Eliminate them
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Easier to tell when the pigs are hitting the feeder. It's also cheaper

Gotcha.  I would think a regular feeder would work better due to not having to refill the pipe all the time.  That thing would be empty every night down in the bottom in Navasota.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Get both.

Here in the pic, if you look very carefully, you will see that there is a "hog log" in the very far left margin.  Its hanging on the elm tree holding the hanging feeder.  The pigs, raccoons and deer cannot touch the hanging feeder, but they will beat on the log a little, and that keeps them coming in at other times than just when the feeder spins.

Ultimately, it is cheaper to use a hanging spinner, on my place, because the deer and hogs will empty the log in one day if its laying on the ground.  at least hanging it against the tree makes it harder fro them to empty it, and for the coons to eat away the PVC, enlarging the holes:

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had my share of coon problems this year

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Get both.

Here in the pic, if you look very carefully, you will see that there is a "hog log" in the very far left margin. Its hanging on the elm tree holding the hanging feeder. The pigs, raccoons and deer cannot touch the hanging feeder, but they will beat on the log a little, and that keeps them coming in at other times than just when the feeder spins.

Ultimately, it is cheaper to use a hanging spinner, on my place, because the deer and hogs will empty the log in one day if its laying on the ground. at least hanging it against the tree makes it harder fro them to empty it, and for the coons to eat away the PVC, enlarging the holes
:

I like that Idea HTR!  

llanogold,

I feel your pain with the coons.  I pasted a feeder on a huntve the other night and I counted 14 under one feeder.  I didn't want to pop any due to hog hunting, but on the way back in I whacked 4 out of 7 under one feeder.  There seems to be a ton of them this year!

Do you have game cages on the bottom of your feeders?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The cage was found about 50' away. These coons were on steroids. Fortunately most of them died before the steroids could do them any harm.
I am still not sure how these guys did this but it only took 3 minutes. This camera was set to take 3 pics every 3 minutes. I only had one pic with 2 coons up 2 legs and then I had 100 pics of the party.
I had pics of them sleeping on the pile of corn after the party.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:31:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The cage was found about 50' away. These coons were on steroids. Fortunately most of them died before the steroids could do them any harm.
I am still not sure how these guys did this but it only took 3 minutes. This camera was set to take 3 pics every 3 minutes. I only had one pic with 2 coons up 2 legs and then I had 100 pics of the party.
I had pics of them sleeping on the pile of corn after the party.

Sounds like time to start making coon skin caps.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
My GF doesn't want me to shoot the coons.  Since that is the only thing she has ever asked me not to kill, I kinda feel compelled to abide by that request.

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have had my share of coon problems this year

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/todd458/coonbomb1.jpg

That's enough for a coat!
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get both.

Here in the pic, if you look very carefully, you will see that there is a "hog log" in the very far left margin. Its hanging on the elm tree holding the hanging feeder. The pigs, raccoons and deer cannot touch the hanging feeder, but they will beat on the log a little, and that keeps them coming in at other times than just when the feeder spins.

Ultimately, it is cheaper to use a hanging spinner, on my place, because the deer and hogs will empty the log in one day if its laying on the ground. at least hanging it against the tree makes it harder fro them to empty it, and for the coons to eat away the PVC, enlarging the holes
:

I like that Idea HTR!  

llanogold,

I feel your pain with the coons.  I pasted a feeder on a huntve the other night and I counted 14 under one feeder. I didn't want to pop any due to hog hunting, but on the way back in I whacked 4 out of 7 under one feeder.  There seems to be a ton of them this year!

Do you have game cages on the bottom of your feeders?

Sounds like you definitely need a suppressed 10/22 !  The hogs never hear it, but it knocks a coon's dick in the dirt with 60 grain SSS.

Link Posted: 7/29/2010 5:43:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I have switched all my spinner plates over to the SpinTech's and that has eliminated coons emptying my feeders.  Double protection is the ST with a basket around it.  Every couple of weeks I take a walk around the feeders a hour or so after dark with the NVDs and a suppressed AR to clean up the rest.  I also set traps.  Coons are like hogs, they are tough to get ahead of.  Once you make a little head way you need to stay after them.

P
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Sounds like you definitely need a suppressed 10/22 ! The hogs never hear it, but it knocks a coon's dick in the dirt with 60 grain SSS

I've Got a cz 452 .22 with a intregal suppresser from Johns guns.  Just didn't think I needed it with me, guess I was wrong.  That sucker is definitely going with me next time I go out!  Kind of wish I had gotten a 10/22 now due to being able to hold 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sounds like you definitely need a suppressed 10/22 ! The hogs never hear it, but it knocks a coon's dick in the dirt with 60 grain SSS

I've Got a cz 452 .22 with a intregal suppresser from Johns guns.  Just didn't think I needed it with me, guess I was wrong.  That sucker is definitely going with me next time I go out!  Kind of wish I had gotten a 10/22 now due to being able to hold 30 rounds.

I think I shot around 105 coons last year. At the end of the drought, they were stacked 4 and 5 deep on all my feeders.  We made them pay....the suppressed 10/22 allows for followup shots if the first one misses.  Sometimes, we are shooting them from 100 yards, and they are in grass, so its pretty tough to hit them under such circumstances.  But once they run, you just lead them a bit.

That little 10/22 really brought my harvest numbers up and now they are not that much of a problem.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Just went to home depot, priced the pvc needed to make two pig pipes. Came out to about 40 bucks. Thats hard to beat for two feeders.

They will be built before deer season.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I just built two and have them set up at the lease in San Saba... The corn rolls out really slow! Only about 10-15 kernels every good push so they will stay at it. Goin back in a week or two so I hope they still have a little in them. My pipe will hold exactly one bag of corn.

Good Idea.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Went out to change the memory cards and fill the pipes, but another one of my pipes was missing.  Found this one almost 50 yards away, in a shallow gully.

straightened the eye bolt out like it was  plastic.  This was hard enough steel that I could not bend it closed again with 16" channel locks.

No evidence of the crime.  The batteries were dead in the camera when the pipe disappeared
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just built two and have them set up at the lease in San Saba... The corn rolls out really slow! Only about 10-15 kernels every good push so they will stay at it. Goin back in a week or two so I hope they still have a little in them. My pipe will hold exactly one bag of corn.

Good Idea.

Where at in San Saba?
That's the county I'm in.

I put 2 pig pipes out today.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Idea.

Where at in San Saba?

Williams Ranch. Just South of town headed toward Cherokee

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been using pig pipes for a while. My hogs can usualy empty mine i n 1 or 2 nights. I have 4, 5/8" holes drilled in mine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Idea.

Where at in San Saba?

Williams Ranch. Just South of town headed toward Cherokee

I'm 7 miles down a dirt rd. from Cherokee.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a friend that epoxies a little partition inside his to put some gravel. That way, even though it is empty, it still sounds like there is something in there, so the pigs keep hitting it a day after it is empty.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a friend that epoxies a little partition inside his to put some gravel. That way, even though it is empty, it still sounds like there is something in there, so the pigs keep hitting it a day after it is empty.

That is using your noodle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#34]
The OP covered the gravel trick in the 4th post on this thread. He might or might not be the origanator of if , but I learned it from him...cool ideal anyway.

I don't like the 'come when ever you want it ....its always there' feeder.  They are going to come to bait when ever they want... the sound of a timed feeder going off hasn't called them in for me, but rarely. Timed is just my choice, lots less corn usage unless your try to grow'em.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I use a 3" in Sch 40 pvc cap and shove it in the 4" pvc pipe to make my rattle chamber in my pipes. I also drill 3 or 4 1/16 holes in the cap and stick a couple of packs of strawberry jello in there with my rocks. I have pipes that have been out over a year and you can still smell the sweet jello smell.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Ok you made me do it. We built 2 of these for the lease. We will put them out this weekend and hope for the best. I will get some pictures of the setup. Also got a new hog light. I will take pictures of that setup also. Thanks for the Great Idea!
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#37]
How do you prevent rodents from knawing away on the holes to get to the corn inside?

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How do you prevent rodents from knawing away on the holes to get to the corn inside?

They don't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Ok here is one of the two pig pipes we put out. My buddy decided to do a little camo on his.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top