Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks like the same 10W TRI version that's been out for a while.  Never heard of that site, and they have older pictures (the tan version was way back when they made the plastic body version).

Most people just buy them on EBay I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do folks think about this version? I'm still trying to figure out where I should buy one from...

https://readymaderesources.com/product/tri-an-prc-152-multiband-handheld-radio-mbitr-aluminum-shell-radio12-6-volt-high-power-green/
That looks like the same 10W TRI version that's been out for a while.  Never heard of that site, and they have older pictures (the tan version was way back when they made the plastic body version).

The site's legit, been around for a long time.  Just never paid attention to these before.  I had asked folks about where to buy these, but aside from "ebay" I've no idea.  There are many vendors offering all sorts of stuff on ebay and I'd rather go with a reputable seller if I can ever find one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The site's legit, been around for a long time.  Just never paid attention to these before.  I had asked folks about where to buy these, but aside from "ebay" I've no idea.  There are many vendors offering all sorts of stuff on ebay and I'd rather go with a reputable seller if I can ever find one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do folks think about this version? I'm still trying to figure out where I should buy one from...

https://readymaderesources.com/product/tri-an-prc-152-multiband-handheld-radio-mbitr-aluminum-shell-radio12-6-volt-high-power-green/

I bought through this guy... he's legit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know how to go about using a * or # on the keypad? I got one of these for throwing in the truck or SxS out on the mountains around the cabin, and now we have a new parcel where I have no cell signal. I can hit a local club repeater just fine, but wife back at the other property isn't a ham, so I'd like to be able to use the autopatch to call her to check in
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Question: I have seen several posts that state the TCA is preferable to the TRI. I have both and I was wondering why this is? Is it because the TCA can be computer programmed? 5 minutes sitting on my couch got me what I needed on the TRI. On either one I get less spurious emissions in dual receive than on my Yeasu VX7.
Sure, the VX-7 can do a lot of things. Things I never use.
I have heard that both are just a Baofeng glorified. I bought a Baofeng just to see. Baofeng was worse than my VX-7, I get that, as it should be for the cost.

Both can use Harris batteries and all military accoutrements. Only the TRI charger will charge my Harris batteries as my TCA will not.

Any reason I should keep the TCA? Or sell on EE/ebay? Just curious
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have one of these that actually does 10 meter?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone have one of these that actually does 10 meter?
View Quote

I'd wager a few hundred at most actual units were ever made that did.  It was around 3-4 years ago they did that very limited run, and that was it.  If you find one, it'll be on the secondary market, and the bulk of them never came to the US.  The only one I've seen video proof of was owned by an airsofter in Europe.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd wager a few hundred at most actual units were ever made that did.  It was around 3-4 years ago they did that very limited run, and that was it.  If you find one, it'll be on the secondary market, and the bulk of them never came to the US.  The only one I've seen video proof of was owned by an airsofter in Europe.
View Quote

Well that makes me sad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well that makes me sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that makes me sad.

I came across this, and posted it a few pages back... Hoping it comes to fruition.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I came across this, and posted it a few pages back... Hoping it comes to fruition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii9BcM0kpWs

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that makes me sad.

If that’s what I think it is, I hope it does too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If that's what I think it is, I hope it does too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that makes me sad.

If that's what I think it is, I hope it does too.

I'm curious as well. If it can do 10 meter, I will own one.

On an interesting note, if anyone has $10k just lying around, and doesn't mind diving into a sketchy transaction...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HARRIS-FALCON-III-AN-PRC-152-RADIO-AUTHENTIC-VERY-RARE-/303876526463?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If that’s what I think it is, I hope it does too.
View Quote

Im pretty sure thats one of the falco ones, not tri or tca.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone have a lead on surplus Harris batteries? American-milspec is sold out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Since these use a standard U228 audio cable, does anyone have an idea on how to adapt them for aprs use, like with aprs droid? This is the connection diagram for a standard diy Baofeng aprs cable
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a lead on surplus Harris batteries? American-milspec is sold out.
View Quote

I haven't seen legit batteries anywhere... but I haven't been looking too hard for them. I'd love to get a few more if I come across any...
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On an interesting note, if anyone has $10k just lying around, and doesn't mind diving into a sketchy transaction...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HARRIS-FALCON-III-AN-PRC-152-RADIO-AUTHENTIC-VERY-RARE-/303876526463?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
View Quote

that is about sexual. I wonder exactly what it can do now that the back has been off of it, and apparently the cci item has been removed?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

that is about sexual. I wonder exactly what it can do now that the back has been off of it, and apparently the cci item has been removed?
View Quote

Wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
View Quote

lol you look at his sales history?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

lol you look at his sales history?
View Quote

Just now did.  Yeah, I will continue to remain at least 10 ft pole distance away. lol
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay, brand-spanking new member here. I’ve been following this thread since it’s creation and I finally broke down and bought a 10W TRI 152. Other than using preprogrammed XL-200’s at work every day, this is my first time actually messing with a radio in detail. I’m still trying to learn the in’s and out’s of radio terminology and all the acronyms. I do have a few questions off the top of my head.

“PT” on the top scroller. It says that’s voice copanding. If that helps cancel out unwanted signal, should that always be on?

The other question I had was the “CT” voice inversion. So I see when you switch it on, it makes everything you receive sound like Donald Duck. The question I had was, if you have two of these radios and they were both set to “CT”, would that invert an already inverted transmission, thereby making it sound normal? If it does, how secure is that? Are most/all radios able to do voice inversion?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okay, brand-spanking new member here. I've been following this thread since it's creation and I finally broke down and bought a 10W TRI 152. Other than using preprogrammed XL-200's at work every day, this is my first time actually messing with a radio in detail. I'm still trying to learn the in's and out's of radio terminology and all the acronyms. I do have a few questions off the top of my head.

"PT" on the top scroller. It says that's voice copanding. If that helps cancel out unwanted signal, should that always be on?

The other question I had was the "CT" voice inversion. So I see when you switch it on, it makes everything you receive sound like Donald Duck. The question I had was, if you have two of these radios and they were both set to "CT", would that invert an already inverted transmission, thereby making it sound normal? If it does, how secure is that? Are most/all radios able to do voice inversion?
View Quote
The "PT", which they call "companding" is a poor translation and should be "compressing", aka voice compression.  It's something a lot of radios can do to theoretically increase your range by more efficiently compressing the sound waves into a smaller package and using the raw wattage out more efficiently.  On this radio, it's probably almost useless for the most part, but it will make your transmitted audio sound "flatter" or maybe slightly robotic.  It doesn't do anything to cancel out interference.

The "CT" voice inversion is something many Chinese HTs can do, sometimes also called a voice scrambler or, more disingenuously, "encryption".  If you have another radio that scrambles using the same pattern they will come through understandable, but by no means is this secure.  Think of it as the equivalent of pig-Latin as far as how secure it is.  The scrambling algorithm is very basic and easy to brute force, and I'd bet most Chinese manufacturers all just use the same one.

To sum up, I would just not use either of those functions.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is the Private Joseki Key gets dumped which dumps the crypto algo but it's still a controlled item.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
welp

looks like fcs has taken another step closer. No klew about specs, availability, nothing; just sharing FYI:

https://www.facebook.com/falco.communications.system/
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To sum up, I would just not use either of those functions.
View Quote

I once watched an NSA guy hear a radio transmission, identify the type of inversion used, and have it clear as a bell in literally six seconds.

I wouldn't use it for anything you want to keep secret especially if you're on a list already
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Okay, I have a new question. I’ve been learning a bit more about radios lately. I started studying for my technicians license. I figured out how to program a frequency and name it , however, despite programming 8-10 different frequencies with different T-CTCSS codes and offsets on each ones, the memory function doesn’t seem to save the tones or offsets, just the frequency and name itself. Anyone have a solution?

Also just picked up my first Btech UV5X3 and programmed 70+ local repeaters using chirp in under 5 minutes. Soooooo much more convenient than FPP. My eyes have been opened.

On the bright side, with the TRI whip on 10W I can TX/RX a 2 meter repeater from 9.8 miles away in a densely populated city.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
welp

looks like fcs has taken another step closer. No klew about specs, availability, nothing; just sharing FYI:

https://www.facebook.com/falco.communications.system/
View Quote

I saw someone ask about HF, and apparently it will not.

Also, TRI is apparently releasing a new version that will do 300mHz, AM, and will support a TRI KDU.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I saw someone ask about HF, and apparently it will not.

Also, TRI is apparently releasing a new version that will do 300mHz, AM, and will support a TRI KDU.
View Quote

FCA is releasing the one that supports the kdu they are making. Kenny Wei has been promising this for about a year now.
(TRI may be up to something also, but I don't know it.)
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#27]
The new 2021 TRI 152 is out now according to a post on the FB page I follow. Just a few highlights...

UHF1:400Mhz-470Mhz
UHF2:330-370Mhz
UHF3:220-259Mhz      
VHF136Mhz-174Mhz

FM AM(Air Band) receive.
FM:78-108Mhz
AM:106-136Mhz

Max Output 15W Power.

KDU will be released in next few weeks,price is pending now

Nylon Battery case,same texture with real original HARRIS battery.

Limited Edition PRC152 Comes With Real Harris Battery :295USD
Standard PRC152 Comes With TRI Made Battery:270USD

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I know these radios are primarily marketed to the milsim/airsoft users, but it would be a real McCoy if TRI used the Anytone 878 internals on this unit. Adding DMR and AES 256 to the design would make it more desirable to preppers. However, most militia groups photos show members with 2k$ rifles, 1.2k$ uniforms and armor, but using the cheapest $25.00 radio available online. I guess any fancy upgrades won't happen

RS
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know these radios are primarily marketed to the milsim/airsoft users, but it would be a real McCoy if TRI used the Anytone 878 internals on this unit. Adding DMR and AES 256 to the design would make it more desirable to preppers. However, most militia groups photos show members with 2k$ rifles, 1.2k$ uniforms and armor, but using the cheapest $25.00 radio available online. I guess any fancy upgrades won't happen

RS
View Quote

If buy 10 of them if they did that!
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I think I’m leaning towards grabbing one of these… what does the brain trust think of them?

Quoted:
The new 2021 TRI 152 is out now according to a post on the FB page I follow. Just a few highlights...

UHF1:400Mhz-470Mhz
UHF2:330-370Mhz
UHF3:220-259Mhz      
VHF136Mhz-174Mhz

FM AM(Air Band) receive.
FM:78-108Mhz
AM:106-136Mhz

Max Output 15W Power.

KDU will be released in next few weeks,price is pending now

Nylon Battery case,same texture with real original HARRIS battery.

Limited Edition PRC152 Comes With Real Harris Battery :295USD
Standard PRC152 Comes With TRI Made Battery:270USD

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think I'm leaning towards grabbing one of these what does the brain trust think of them?

View Quote
I like the last gen just fine. It's currently still with two guys in this thread who are reverse engineering a bit to see what can be found in regards to software and capability. Opening it up showed it's a pretty robust, well-built unit, with what I gathered to be decent components. The pain is having to jam everything in via the keypad, since it reportedly won't take CHIRP.

That said, I'm considering picking up one of the new gens, especially given the new freqs it can access and support for a KDU to be released soon.

I haven't transmitted on mine, but it seems to receive pretty well, cleanly catching a repeater about 19 miles from me, over mountainous terrain. It also seemed really good on battery life, using a couple Harris batteries I picked up. Love to find a couple more of those, but American Milspec seems to be out of them.

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:13:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Ended up ordering one of the new 15w TRI radios.. Kind of wish they used the 152a shell but whatever. Also snagged a crye airlite radio pouch I’ve been eyeing.

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ended up ordering one of the new 15w TRI radios.. Kind of wish they used the 152a shell but whatever. Also snagged a crye airlite radio pouch I've been eyeing.

https://i.imgur.com/fqeteQc.jpg

View Quote

Just saw a post on FB from the ShiQing guy that the KDU is out now for $145. It is only compatible with the new TRI version of the radio.

Might be ordering another radio and KDU very shortly

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRt2m_1jJPJ/
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ended up ordering one of the new 15w TRI radios.. Kind of wish they used the 152a shell but whatever. Also snagged a crye airlite radio pouch I’ve been eyeing.

https://i.imgur.com/fqeteQc.jpg

View Quote

@TigerHawk

Can you post a link to buy for us boomers?  
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just saw a post on FB from the ShiQing guy that the KDU is out now for $145. It is only compatible with the new TRI version of the radio.

View Quote

Yeah I saw his post on IG yesterday and got one on order.

Going to also order a juggernaut pals mount and see if I can get a mount of some sort for the kdu printed.

Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@TigerHawk

Can you post a link to buy for us boomers?  
View Quote

I PM’d the guy through Instagram and paid via PayPal. I’m pretty sure he has some eBay postings for the radio and kdu.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264391481611

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265241220135
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I PM'd the guy through Instagram and paid via PayPal. I'm pretty sure he has some eBay postings for the radio and kdu.

View Quote

I assumed he was on there.
He had a website of sorts, perhaps it's a few pages back or something, but I couldn't find it in my bookmarks or notes. Here is a link to the new radio with the remote head:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265241250784

But all I know of is he does business on the apps (fb, insta, etc)
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I PM’d the guy through Instagram and paid via PayPal. I’m pretty sure he has some eBay postings for the radio and kdu.

View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]
[sigh] ARF just cost me some more money, once again

Oh well, the new -152 with a KDU will go nicely with the BB-2590 adapter that ebay seller Murphyjunk sold to me a couple of weeks ago (It works great with the 1st TRI -152 have, and I bench-checked it with a regulated 13.8 vdc 3a power supply)

BB-2590 adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/203504156223

and a female BB-2590 connector socket ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/163372663054 ) that will get spliced into a homebrew 12 vdc marine battery box (yet to be built).
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Going to also order a juggernaut pals mount and see if I can get a mount of some sort for the kdu printed.

https://i.imgur.com/iZYXbso.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/iZYXbso.jpg
Curious to see what you print up.

I also placed my order this morning for the radio and KDU.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[sigh] ARF just cost me some more money, once again

Oh well, the new -152 with a KDU will go nicely with the BB-2590 adapter that ebay seller Murphyjunk sold to me a couple of weeks ago (It works great with the 1st TRI -152 have, and I bench-checked it with a regulated 13.8 vdc 3a power supply)

BB-2590 adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/203504156223

and a female BB-2590 connector socket ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/163372663054 ) that will get spliced into a homebrew 12 vdc marine battery box (yet to be built)
View Quote

Murphyjunk is legit.

If his website is still up, it's an amazing read
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Murphyjunk is legit.

If his website is still up, it's an amazing read
View Quote

https://www.murphyjunk.net
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Happy with it overall, and I did end up getting a partial $25 refund on the original price.

Some of the buttons are a little harder to press than others. They all have a very positive click feel. The case fit a finish needs a little refinement but it all seems pretty solid.

Didn’t have much hands on time yet so more details to come.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice. I'm still waiting on mine to ship.

Edit: Got shipping info this morning!
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#46]
In case anyone was interested in the TRI PRC-117

There's one on eBay

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#47]
That is the Unicorn of radios, I heard they existed but never saw one until your post.

I had asked earlier about the difference between the TRI and TCA models, after having both, I sold the TCA as I didn't need computer programming.

My TRI with a real 152 battery puts out 11.6 watts on full power and lasts for at least 3 days.

I still have my Yaesu VX-7, but it has too many "bells and whistles" and very sort battery life

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That is the Unicorn of radios, I heard they existed but never saw one until your post.

View Quote

I just saw a TRI branded -117 clone, on TV. Jeffery Dean Morgan was using it in the movie "Rampage", with the Rock.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/CWV6FA5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kDUuGIj.jpg

Happy with it overall, and I did end up getting a partial $25 refund on the original price.

Some of the buttons are a little harder to press than others. They all have a very positive click feel. The case fit a finish needs a little refinement but it all seems pretty solid.

Didn't have much hands on time yet so more details to come.
View Quote

Just had mine arrive!

Initial impression is very good: They've improved the receiver's sensitivity. Using the same OEM Harris antenna , and just with tuning in to SeaTac Approach (squelch set at 4, AM Air band 133.6500, and about 8.5 miles line of sight from my backyard),  the new -152 receives good clear signals from both the aircraft and the ground controllers, while the previous generation -152 typically only could weakly get the ground controller, and the aircraft were mostly broken and unreadable, with the squelch set at 1.

My Kenwood TH-D74 with a Diamond SRH320A antenna doesn't receive as clear a signal as the new -152.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just had mine arrive!

Initial impression is very good: They've improved the receiver's sensitivity. Using the same OEM Harris antenna , and just with tuning in to SeaTac Approach (squelch set at 4, AM Air band 133.6500, and about 8.5 miles line of sight from my backyard),  the new -152 receives good clear signals from both the aircraft and the ground controllers, while the previous generation -152 typically only could weakly get the ground controller, and the aircraft were mostly broken and unreadable, with the squelch set at 1.

My Kenwood TH-D74 with a Diamond SRH320A antenna doesn't receive as clear a signal as the new -152.

View Quote

Glad to hear the positive feedback on the radio. I’m having some problems with the radio occasionally “locking up”. I usually can replicate it by configuring about 8 frequencies in memory and having the radio scan those channels. Not sure if it’s related to the KDU or not but I have locked the radio up around 10 times doing this.

Also how are you setting the squelch on a AM band frequency? Whenever I try to change the squelch on AM the radio goes back to a vhf/uhf frequency.
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top