Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2024 5:36:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper]
Dug out the Kantronics TNC & connected to my TM-V71A yesterday. Still works perfectly.
Installed APRSISCE/32 for windows & was surprised at how many active users are near me. My beacon was heard by several stations & bounced around the network. Will see if I can hit the ISS digipeater when they switch back to APRS from SSTV mode.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Really active in my area as well, but the vast majority of traffic is status packets about the
network itself and a handful of home or weather stations.

I made really good use of it when I had my cabin, I used it to send telemetry packets every six hours
or so (at minimum power, since it was a mountaintop and I could hit digis 150+ miles away with 5 watts.)

A lot of the time it was more reliable than LTE due to the remote location.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By seek2:
Really active in my area as well, but the vast majority of traffic is status packets about the

I made really good use of it when I had my cabin, I used it to send telemetry packets every six hours
or so (at minimum power, since it was a mountaintop and I could hit digis 150+ miles away with 5 watts.)

A lot of the time it was more reliable than LTE due to the remote location.

View Quote

Years ago when I had APRS set up it seemed there were a lot less objects on my screen.

I tried to hit the ISS digipeater earlier but never made it. I sent beacon with text a few times using the path: ARISS, WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2. I heard them a while, but only copied RS0ISS twice before they faded. I tried to time my beacons when ISS signal was strongest. Maybe path should be RSOISS? I was under the impression ARISS would always work. I quickly tried sending message directly to RSOISS but no joy. They were too weak by then.

Could be they just never copied me on any of my attempts. Had it working years ago by leaving the TNC in KISS mode with APRSISCE/32 windows software.

Good pass coming in the morning @6:31am here, may give it another shot.

Link Posted: Yesterday 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I hadn’t used APRS for a few years but started messing around with it again a few weeks ago and found it to be the same…lots of useless data.  I live in BFE but there is actually pretty good digi coverage around.  I was able to get a decent track while hiking with my ht the other day.

Originally Posted By HogSniper:

Years ago when I had APRS set up it seemed there were a lot less objects on my screen.

I tried to hit the ISS digipeater earlier but never made it. I sent beacon with text a few times using the path: ARISS, WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2. I heard them a while, but only copied RS0ISS twice before they faded. I tried to time my beacons when ISS signal was strongest. Maybe path should be RSOISS? I was under the impression ARISS would always work. I quickly tried sending message directly to RSOISS but no joy. They were too weak by then.

Could be they just never copied me on any of my attempts. Had it working years ago by leaving the TNC in KISS mode with APRSISCE/32 windows software.

Good pass coming in the morning @6:31am here, may give it another shot.

Yes, ARISS is the correct path.  Did you check for your call on the ARISS website?   Messaging through the ISS is pretty cool too, although a bit awkward, at least with the Yaesu HT’s I’ve always used…it would be easier on my newer FT3 though.   I think it would be ham-cool to send a POTA or SOTA spot through the ISS, but the timing would be a bit tricky.

Link Posted: Yesterday 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Yes, ARISS is the correct path.  Did you check for your call on the ARISS website?   Messaging through the ISS is pretty cool too, although a bit awkward, at least with the Yaesu HT’s I’ve always used…it would be easier on my newer FT3 though.   I think it would be ham-cool to send a POTA or SOTA spot through the ISS, but the timing would be a bit tricky.

View Quote

Yeah I checked here: Amateur Radio Stations heard via ISS Never found my call. I'll try again when I get time & double check my settings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top