Posted: 8/18/2024 1:01:04 AM EDT
Looking to get 3 setups.
What are some good ones
Thanks in advance for the help!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 4:55:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Use case?  Budget?  Carrying requirements?  Level of desired protection?  

Your question reads with all the specificity of "I need a car. What should I get?"
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raimius:
Use case?  Budget?  Carrying requirements?  Level of desired protection?  

Your question reads with all the specificity of "I need a car. What should I get?"
View Quote

800 bucks per
111a
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mobilty6:

800 bucks per
111a
View Quote

So, stopping pistol rounds and $800ea.  Ok.  
Do you want maximum coverage or low profile?  Do you want the carriers to have extra ammo, IFAKs, etc or be slick?
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By raimius:

So, stopping pistol rounds and $800ea.  Ok.  
Do you want maximum coverage or low profile?  Do you want the carriers to have extra ammo, IFAKs, etc or be slick?
View Quote

Actually I want rifle cartridge protection.
Yes to ammo carrier’s ifak, knife placement, tourniquet
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
For plates, you would want to look for level 3, 3+ (special threat rated), or 4, if you want to stop rifle rounds. Level 3a is for pistols. I would recommend a 3+ that can stop M855 (since it is fairly common) or level 4.  You do pay a weight penalty for better protection.  Go with a name brand, preferably actually certified rather than just "tested to meet" standards.

I like the Shellback Banshee line, as a mid-tier PC solution.  Crye stuff is well regarded, but pricey.  Agilite seems to put out good stuff, from what I can tell.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have three PCs:

-Blue Force Gear PLATEMinus v.1 for absolute low-profile
-TRex Arms AC1. I use it with only a general purpose and a tourniquet pouch for use with belt kit, but it can certainly handle mags, knife, etc... The elastic cummerbund has pouches of its own, so it can accommodate magazines, tourniquets, rangefinders, and more.
-Crye JPC 1.0. My go-to plate carrier. Can carry magazines, admin stuff, smoke and flashbangs. I use it in conjunction with an inner/outer belt that has a ready magazine or two, pistol, holster, pistol mags, TQ, and an IFAK.

The JPC 2.0 is a very well-regarded carrier and has some refinements over the 1.0. I recommend you look at that or the AC1.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:17:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKaltwasser] [#8]
If you're looking at rifle stopping ability, I would skip level 3 and go straight to level 3+ Extreme or Special Threat plates. Ceramic/ hybrid plates are where it's at IMO for the best middle ground of protection/weight. Level 4's for static or immediate area, unless you want to drop some serious coin.

I run a Chase Tactical slick SOPC and DFDR ORC in main rotation with several others for back up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out Defense Mechanisms MEPC. Get a cummerbund with tubes on the same site. You need at least a medium to fit standard 10x12 plates. Has an admin pocket, plus molle back panel>lots of videos on the site. I recommend the smkallest cummerbund you can run, because heat and weight.
https://defensemechanisms.com/mepc/

Battle Steel 3+ SRT plates. 4.5 lbs. 10 year shelf life.
https://battlesteel.com/armor-plates/level-III-plus/

Mag placards of your choice. NAR med kit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 for Crye JPC 1.0  If you can find one...  I found a 1.0 for ~30% less than the 2.0; I don't need/want the high-speed zip on panel option and didn't see much more difference other than that.  I also like the flex built into the cumber bun and shoulder straps.  100% more comfortable than USGI issue.

Note:  JPC 1.0 you need plates the same size as the vest.  ie 10x12 plates for a Large carrier...   LOTS of Joes in the Army would get plates 1x smaller for lighter weight and flexibility.  The USGI armor had internal straps that could basically accommodate any size plate...  These are not on the JPC 1.0 so a small plate will just settle to the bottom and may slosh around a bit

Do you intent to move over distance with these?  If not I would not hesitate [again] to buy top shelf steel plates vs composite / ceramic etc...   Steel is ~ 1/3 the price, 1/2 the thickness (The issued .mil composite ones are THICK, you WILL notice it).  I am quite satisfied with my multi-curve ones from CATI
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 40_and_invisible:
+1 for Crye JPC 1.0  If you can find one...  I found a 1.0 for ~30% less than the 2.0; I don't need/want the high-speed zip on panel option and didn't see much more difference other than that.  I also like the flex built into the cumber bun and shoulder straps.  100% more comfortable than USGI issue.

Note:  JPC 1.0 you need plates the same size as the vest.  ie 10x12 plates for a Large carrier...   LOTS of Joes in the Army would get plates 1x smaller for lighter weight and flexibility.  The USGI armor had internal straps that could basically accommodate any size plate...  These are not on the JPC 1.0 so a small plate will just settle to the bottom and may slosh around a bit

Do you intent to move over distance with these?  If not I would not hesitate [again] to buy top shelf steel plates vs composite / ceramic etc...   Steel is ~ 1/3 the price, 1/2 the thickness (The issued .mil composite ones are THICK, you WILL notice it).  I am quite satisfied with my multi-curve ones from CATI
View Quote

Frankly I’m looking for something that I can use in place or on the move.
Thanks to everybody who has provided info it’s appreciated.
The last time I wore anything like this was 40 years ago
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Hard to believe the Shellback Banshee has become so expensive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#13]
esstac or velocity systems LEPC would be my 2 choices. I own both. esstac is super popular here, my lepc is super comfortable for me. esstac kywi for mag pouches no question. ifac is players choice. lots of good ones out there pouch wise. north American rescue for fillings. check out buffman on youtube for honest plate reviews. Hesco is the big name brand that everyone is judged against. IIRC RMA is the popular budget option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top