Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2024 9:12:53 AM EDT
Any suggestions what battery or power set up to use for a  chinese diesel heater? I'm looking to use one in my ice shanty this winter for fishing and camping.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Kinda need to know the power requirements of the heater and go from there.  Seems like most of the small heaters can run all day on a 35AH though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I goes to 15 amp when glow plug is on, then drops pretty low.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 4:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#3]
I don't think it's much but check the heater startup requirements.  When it says it needs a 10A or whatever DC power supply, they mean it.  But I was only hooking it up to main AC power, I don't know what its running usage was.

Originally Posted By Malbec:
I think I goes to 15 amp when glow plug is on, then drops pretty low.
View Quote

OK, that for a minimum current, and watt-hours for however long you want to run it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Malbec:
Any suggestions what battery or power set up to use for a  Chinese diesel heater? I'm looking to use one in my ice shanty this winter for fishing and camping.
View Quote

Yes.  Weize 50ah LFP battery.  More usable capacity than a typical camper deep cycle battery in a small and light form factor.

Don't have a picture, but last Thanksgiving, I powered a diesel heater for hours to warm a 10x10 EZUP with thin walls in sub-20°F temps.  It ran on HIGH the whole time and kept the temp at 68F.  After an entire evening, I had barely scratched the capacity of the battery.  Could have done that for a week no problem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:58:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gixxersixxer] [#5]
Two Amped 30 ah wide batteries will fit in 50 cal MTM ammo can.

I bought a 12 ga SAE ports, led light,switches, and cig + USB outlets from Amazon and wired up a battery box similar to what icehole power sells.

The cig lighter often can't power the glow plug without upping the wire gauge and fuse. I use the cig lighter for shack lights. I use the SAE port to power the heater.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Was watching a YT vid made by some Brit.  He claimed that ensuring the voltage going to his diesel heater was the exact specified input voltage solved a lot of his issues with his heater being "over-volted" by batts/charging system in his van which supplied voltage higher than the 12V specified as input voltage for his heater and other ostensibly 12V devices.  His heater would often shut off, and display an "overvoltage" error code.

Used a simple solid-state voltage regulator to do so.  Some electronic items may not be sensitive to being "overvolted", but some may be.

Typical 12V batt, fully charged and in good condition will always have a voltage in excess of nominal 12V.

I can't find the specific vid, but I believe he used this voltage regulator HERE
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  I didn't think about plastic ammo can. Good idea
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top