Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 14 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
So I am a  noob with cans but I figured I needed at least one or two and started browsing my local craigslist.
Well I found these.  they look a little rough but I'm sure I can clean them up. Just wondering if this is a decent deal
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/3431516378.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RickNC] [#2]
Is it possible to get the plastic fuel cans the military uses? I'd rather have those than the older style metal ones. Thanks.

*Edit: did find some but at $139 I feel that is insane.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RickNC:
Is it possible to get the plastic fuel cans the military uses? I'd rather have those than the older style metal ones. Thanks.

I saw some in the EE a moment ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]

You could go to Canada to buy them but there about $80 each there. Not sure if you could get them across the border.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By aleutianhunter:

You could go to Canada to buy them but there about $80 each there. Not sure if you could get them across the border.

Yeah probably not. Not to mention the drive. I've got a guy that might be able to get some.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buickz] [#6]
Just received the email below from Schotsman Equipment about wide mouth spouts finally being available in the US for the wide mouth jerry cans they were selling on ebay.  Figured I would pass along as I know we have talked about it in the past.

I have been trying for a couple of years to find someone in Europe to sell me a large quanity of the only spouts that I've found that fit the wide mouth on the Jerry Cans  I sold all of you over the past 2 1/2 years. I did not get what I'd say was a large quanity but enough to get the price per piece down $25.00 less than what I had to pay when I bought one at a time. I have bought 3 from Germany at $78.00, $83.00 and $85.00.

The spouts have never been used but have been stored for years. They are well made with heavy thick metal, there are small rust spots on some and most have started rusting some inside the tube of the spouts, but nothing serious. I took 3 of them and cleaned them up real good. The spout gaskets are in great condition also and to help with the price being high, I am going to include 2 lid gaskets for the can for free. I usually get $16.20 for 2 gaskets.

The cost for each Spout will be, including postage and the 2 Lid Gaskets for  --  $54.95

Reply email back for how many you want and I will send you an invoice from PayPal to your email. If you have any questions email me or call.

Sincerely,
Chris Justice
601 325 3372
[email protected]
Schotsman Equipment

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#7]
So i got some NATO cans and one of the pins is a complete BITCH to get out.

Like beat it with a hammer to get it in or out. Any suggestion on how to fix it? Just file the opening?
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 11:36:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zlman] [#8]
Originally Posted By far_right:
So i got some NATO cans and one of the pins is a complete BITCH to get out.

Like beat it with a hammer to get it in or out. Any suggestion on how to fix it? Just file the opening?

Pin is worthless, cut it off.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no Jerry can guru, but I did get an email saying Safecastle had spouts and cans.

Spout: https://www.safecastle.com/jerry-can-nato-nozzle.aspx

I have no idea about quality, suitability, and all that jazz, but folks more in the know could check them out I guess.

The listed price is "non-members".  "Member" pricing is $22.00 for the spouts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Keep an eye on eBay, you can get them for $50-$80, in varied conditions. I have 4 OD ones. Two I bought new (2 years ago) for $75ea, and then I bought the two used ones for $40 each. They have a limited target audience, so just pick one and set a max bid at what you'd like to pay, and eventually you'll get a few at that price although it may take a few weeks/months.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad this is here.  A local store that sells surplus good was selling european style ammo cans for $29 each.  I would have bought several, until I was able to identify them as chicom knockoffs.  I am putting in an order to OldGrouch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]
does someone know the origin of a 20L metal euro can stamped TA over a big O and dated 11-1950.  Inside lining paint color is orange.
thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Do any of y'all know or have experience with transporting MFC's (HDPE Scepter brand) from Canada into the States?
Friend in Canada says he's willing.

Customs?  How does it work in transporting across the border?
What about shipping empty, never used ones?  Anybody?
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aleutianhunter] [#15]
Originally Posted By cj8lvr:
Do any of y'all know or have experience with transporting MFC's (HDPE Scepter brand) from Canada into the States?
Friend in Canada says he's willing.

Customs?  How does it work in transporting across the border?
What about shipping empty, never used ones?  Anybody?

No experience bringing cans across.

A questions I always get asked coming back into the US is if I acquired anything while in Canada.  

I would imagine the question for a Canadian Citizen would be "do you have anything you intend to leave in the US?"

I have been basically waved through the border and had my entire vehicle torn apart.  It all depends on when and where you cross.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 7:29:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: livefreeordieNH] [#16]
Ordered 4 cans from Atlantic British / roverparts.com.  Will update when they come in.

ETA:  Wow, those shipped fast.  They look great.  40 bucks ea was a pretty good deal I'd say!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#17]
We'll be buying some VP Racing fuel cans that are sold empty at the local motorcycle shop.  These seem to be the best bet we have found.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:33:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#18]
Originally Posted By DynamicDrew:
We'll be buying some VP Racing fuel cans that are sold empty at the local motorcycle shop.  These seem to be the best bet we have found.

Before you do, take a look at the cap seal.

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Which one is better:

Deutscheoptik
Atlantic British
Old Grouch

I calculated total cost for 4 cans plus a nozzle and shipping, and they are all pretty much the same.  Is there any difference in quality?  Also, do I need to order gaskets right away, or are the ones they come with GTG for fuel?
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 1811guy:
Which one is better:

Deutscheoptik
Atlantic British
Old Grouch

I calculated total cost for 4 cans plus a nozzle and shipping, and they are all pretty much the same.  Is there any difference in quality?  Also, do I need to order gaskets right away, or are the ones they come with GTG for fuel?

The Deutsch can have stamped into them "not for fuel use." The AB and Old Grouch cans have an easily removable sticker. All cans are good to go though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 6:10:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#21]
I have some of all of them. They are all the same great quality. Old Grouch occasionally has red, which is nice. He is also on the east coast, good for some of us. AB did a standout job of packing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:
Originally Posted By Scout_19Delta:
Originally Posted By spoil9:
Has anyone purchased these new CARB fuel cans from Scepter?

Haven't seen one in person yet, but for 20 bucks, why not? Can't be too bad, they're on back order.
Northern Tool

Sorry. Can't spell today.....

Pep Boys sells those Scepter cans for about $14.99/ea.

I picked up a couple of them.
They are stronger (thicker) than normal plastic gas cans.
But only about 1/2 or 2/3 the thickness of the Scepter MFC, therefore they tend to swell more with the heat.

Good news is, the cap stays tight and they don't leak, so far.
I have quite a few non-carb nozzles from old blitz and scepter gas cans laying around they fit on these,
so no need to use the CARB nozzle.

Stored next to their Big Brother Scepters:
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/594/fuelcans.jpg

Can we revisit these cans for a minute?  Another thread in GD got me thinking about it.

From my experience with these I imagine that adding a vent and finding a decent nozzle would make these about as good as you can get short of the MFCs.

I think the valve stem vents are a cool idea among the other options out there.  It seems these have a weird thread size for nozzles.  Does EZflow make a nozzle that will work?  Any ideas or developments with these?
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
Why do you guys get so excited for red cans?

I don't see anyone getting excited. I see someone saying that they were nice. Does nice = excited? Doesn't sound so exciting to me, but maybe it does to you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got done reading this entire thread and just wanted a confirmation.

I believe these are the cans I have:

I got them from Fleet Farm in Wisconsin.

If I want to store gas in them, I should just pour it in and seal it up right? No need to clean out or anything? The inside smells strongly of paint. Should I fill it to the top or leave some air in?

Should I use stabil? I plan on storing fuel for as long as possible. How long can fuel go in one of these if stored with stabil and sealed in these cans?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By honeybadger65:
I just got done reading this entire thread and just wanted a confirmation.

I believe these are the cans I have:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/DCP_1748.jpg

I got them from Fleet Farm in Wisconsin.

If I want to store gas in them, I should just pour it in and seal it up right? No need to clean out or anything? The inside smells strongly of paint. Should I fill it to the top or leave some air in?

Should I use stabil? I plan on storing fuel for as long as possible. How long can fuel go in one of these if stored with stabil and sealed in these cans?

Thanks!

Those look GTG. The ones I bought from British Atlantic smelled like paint on the inside. Its the smell of whatever the Liner is. As far as I know you should fill them to the top. I added stabil to mine and just rotated my first can after a year. The gas was as fresh as it was when I filled it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I have filled all of the metal NATO cans I have to the bottom of the neck and haven't had a problem. That also seems to be where the 20L amount is.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:56:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevilPig] [#28]
So I purchased two of the "new" scepter "jeep" style cans.  They are pretty nice.  Not as robust as the MFCs, but honestly they are better than just about anything else out there.  I am in the process of de-EPAing them as we speak.  The first thing was to cut the ratcheting clip off the opening.  It appears that EZ pour spouts now come with two caps with different threads and they say that they will fit these cans.  The only issue I'm having right now is that I want a blank cap for them.  EZ makes a blank cap for the fine thread cans but not these it seems.  I may try and contact them and see if its something they planned on doing at some point.  

I do have a question for those of you with the EZ pour spouts.  The supplied vent caps (small, yellow flip caps) look ok but I have used the valve stem method before and it works well.  Are the supplied yellow vents going to be better than a valve stem?  I like the valve stems because they can be replaced and are pretty durable.  

Here is a pic of a blitz can that I liberated via the YouTube video that was posted:

The spout is cheap and will probably eventually break, but I'll likely have an EZ pour for it soon.  But it does work a lot better now.  It is just going to be for the mowers and around the house, but it was a fun project.

Here are the "jeep" cans scepter is selling now:

They are nice and thick-walled.  They do swell a little when full, but it doesn't seem like its going to be an issue.  Since they are readily available I will likely stock up on them as they are the best commercially available option for vehicle use at this time.  Of course the MFCs, metal jerrys, and some others are the best but they are both pricey and scarce.  

The spouts for these new cans suck major donkey testes.  And the cans have a newer course thread that doesn't work with my old spouts.  Honestly, I don't even really need a spout for each one, especially for vehicle use.  One or two spouts in an ammo can will suffice and just a blank cap would be ideal.  Finding a blank cap is the challenge here.  I went to my buddies machine shop yesterday and he said he could machine me some aluminum caps pretty easily.  Just don't know if its worth it.  I'm going to do some searching and see what I can come up with.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevilPig] [#29]
Here's the first step to making these cans better.  Pry off the racheting ring from around the opening:

Once you do that it's already better.  You can see the valve stems and valve stem tool I picked up.  Depending on the experience with the EZ pour vent caps I might not use the valve stems, but I like them because they are durable, they bend and don't break.  Of course over time they will split, but they can be replaced easy enough.  And they are available at every gas station practically.  Just like the blitz cans, like the one I posted above, there is a thicker "pad" where the non US model cans had a vent installed.  That's where you want to drill for the vent.  

Now off to figure out this cap situation...
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#30]
So I went to my local Tractor Supply store and found that they had one of the EZ pour spouts on the rack.  I got it and thought I'd see how it worked out.

The kit comes with a flexible HPDE spout, two rings to secure the spout (one in fine thread for blitz style jugs and one for scepter style...of course they fit a myriad of other cans as well), two thread on caps for the spout, and one vent for the rear of the can.

Here is the spout attached and you can see the vent that I installed.  

Here is a closer pic of the vent.  There seems to be a thicker area of the can where I drilled, probably close to 1/4" thick.  As long as this works I will keep it.  If it cracks or breaks I'll just install the valve stem as a vent.

Here are the two rings and the extra cap that come with the kit.  The yellow ring is the one that fits the scepter style with coarse threads and the black one has fine threads and fits the blitz style, among others.  I am currently using the rings that came with the cans as they work just fine with the EZ pour spout.

I've been doing some research for folks who have used these and there are a few write ups around.  Most people love them but I found one claim that they come apart at the seams after several years.  I haven't seen any evidence of this, only talk, so I will reserve judgement.  I do know that I have cans that are 20 years old that are still functional and they are seam welded like these.  So I'm a bit skeptical of the claim.

Once again my opinion is that these are not as nice as the MFCs, of course, but I haven't found any others that are readily available for a decent price that I like more.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Those ez-pour are nice but watch the vent strap thingy. All I've had broke within weeks, no big deal till you forget where you set the damn thing down at.
I know, I do work out....lol
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By zlman:
Those ez-pour are nice but watch the vent strap thingy. All I've had broke within weeks, no big deal till you forget where you set the damn thing down at.
I know, I do work out....lol

I'll just install the valve stems if they break.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Not sure how many companies make the red plastic fuel cans, but the one company by the name of BLITZ went bankrupt last year due to frivilous lawsuits. I still their cans on the shelf at Lowes, Home depot, and Wally World.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By cow00man:
Not sure how many companies make the red plastic fuel cans, but the one company by the name of BLITZ went bankrupt last year due to frivilous lawsuits. I still their cans on the shelf at Lowes, Home depot, and Wally World.

Yes they are still making cans.  I believe they were bought out or something.  Scepter played a part in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akuser-47] [#35]
I am looking for a small gas can 2gallon give or take in this catagory. My reason is this My VTX 1800C spec 3 is a gas hog and some of my western rides will have few gas stations what my uncle told me and his harley can go 240 mile before needing a fill up my max range in good conditions is 145 miles and that is pushing it. So beens I ride solo now I am gonna be useing my sissy bar and seat for my gear and the sissy bar rackwill have the gas can strapped to it. So anyone got some links for some decent options in this size range?  I am thinking if I could find somthing taller and slender compared to cheap plastic ones like wall mart sells already use one of those. it works but I hate the bullshit safety nozzle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By akuser-47:
I am looking for a small gas can 2gallon give or take in this catagory. My reason is this My VTX 1800C spec 3 is a gas hog and some of my western rides will have few gas stations what my uncle told me and his harley can go 240 mile before needing a fill up my max range in good conditions is 145 miles and that is pushing it. So beens I ride solo now I am gonna be useing my sissy bar and seat for my gear and the sissy bar rackwill have the gas can strapped to it. So anyone got some links for some decent options in this size range?  I am thinking if I could find somthing taller and slender compared to cheap plastic ones like wall mart sells already use one of those. it works but I hate the bullshit safety nozzle.

http://www.rotopax.com/

Go nuts
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DevilPig:
Originally Posted By akuser-47:

http://www.rotopax.com/

Go nuts

That is exactly what I was looking for thank you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 2:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phlather] [#38]
How much gasoline can/should I put in a 20L jerry can?

should I put in not quite as much as it says it holds?  or should I fill it up tight?

I plan on it being in there for about 9 months.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I put 5.3 gallons in each of my cans.  First batch were filled just about 6 months ago and I'm half way through rotating them into my can and being refilled.

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Mills Fleet Farm (midwest farm store)has a metric shit ton of red nato cans. $70, but if your desperate there in stock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By zlman:
Mills Fleet Farm (midwest farm store)has a metric shit ton of red nato cans. $70, but if your desperate there in stock.

i picked up two of those in WI in DEC.  They came with spouts.  Just like my AB cans but red.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#42]
just got in a dozen beautiful NIW NATOs..to add to the rest.

gonna give PRI-G a shot as well
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DevilPig:
Originally Posted By cow00man:

Yes they are still making cans.  I believe they were bought out or something.  Scepter played a part in there somewhere.

I couldn't find the metal 5 gallon ones anymore.

I have a couple from years ago and they are fine!

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 3:05:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#44]
Originally Posted By Phlather:
How much gasoline can/should I put in a 20L jerry can?

should I put in not quite as much as it says it holds?  or should I fill it up tight?

I plan on it being in there for about 9 months.

Thanks

If you fill it up tight there is no room for liquid expansion. Like most all liquids in a rigid container. That can mean tremendous pressure and a ruptured can at higher temperatures.

Leave some room, say 2 qt in 5 gallons to be plenty safe.

Don't worry about vapor expansion/pressure, when contained [if the can is designed for it] that's your friend and keeps your fuel 'healthy'.

No need for snake oil 'fuel stablizers' then!

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#45]
i filled the nato jerry cans i just got in from britishatlantic with gas

i filled them full.    my garage has no AC.

i am getting slightly nervous about it though

just double checking if i shouldnt maybe go down to 4.8 L or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#46]

just double checking if i shouldnt maybe go down to 4.8 L or something like that.

Full to the line or full to the neck?
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

5.3 gallons worth, which is not as full as i could get.   I could fill it till the point of over flow but didnt, assuming the can is level.   full to the bottom of the neck/spout.
I did not tilt the can back a bit to reaaallllyyy fill it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Might want to dump some out...

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firefighter1241] [#49]
I got some like this at a Fleet Farm store in Wiscosin back in December.  I see that sever people were worried about the gray coating inside the can.  In early June  I put about 1 gal of 93 oct in one and Im happy to report that its doing just fine.  I have not had any of the coading flake off or change color.  It sat for the most part but I did shake it up several time. I still need to replace the pink gaskets but for $30 each Im happy with my find.  Im so happy I just pick up 3 more today.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

5.3 gallons worth, which is not as full as i could get.   I could fill it till the point of over flow but didnt, assuming the can is level.   full to the bottom of the neck/spout.
I did not tilt the can back a bit to reaaallllyyy fill it.

20 liters is 5.28 gallons.
Page / 39
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 14 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top