BCM
User Panel

Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 16 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 7:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
I have done the Google +arfcom searches, and a lot of back and fourth is what I got.

Question: What is the word on gasoline in a 250 gallon propane tank? The tank will more than handle the pressure.
View Quote

IIRC, I suggested this to you or somebuddy a couple weeks ago.

As I mentioned, one of the members here posted pix of a very nice system he made with a medium sized propane tank. He even uses compressed propane to transfer the fuel.  

It's a pressure vessel, what difference does it make by what's written on the side of it or what it was intended to hold if the ratings and material are compatible?

That said, you'll find all sorts of folks wringing their hands at the thought of it. Good, PC indoctrinated folks, who have watched too much indoctrination on the flat screen and who have come thru our education system, trained how not to think.

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked these two new Scepter 20L Jeep style cans for $10 at local flea market. I filled them up with gas and left them in the sun to see how they fare. The cans did swell just a little but the did not leak at all when laid on their side or turned upside down. I already have EZ-Pour spouts for these cans and solid caps ordered from Scepter. Not bad cans at all.

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Scepter, Blitz, No-Spill, and Midwest plastic gas cans. All the cans except the Midwest are made of #2 HDPE. The Midwest can is marked as being made of #7 other plastic. Is one of these plastics superior to the others?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the Oracle's thoughts on Rotopax containers?  I am thinking of doing something like this for my FJ Cruiser:

(Photo links taken from FJ Cruiser Forums member DFW Piper).

Seems to be the easiest (not cheapest) way to carry extra fuel on the FJ.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 220ST:
What is the Oracle's thoughts on Rotopax containers?  I am thinking of doing something like this for my FJ Cruiser:

[url=[/url]

[url=[/url]

View Quote

that would be cool if you can add a shutoff valve and a quick attach hose to route it directly to the tank
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BuckMKII:
I picked these two new Scepter 20L Jeep style cans for $10 at local flea market. I filled them up with gas and left them in the sun to see how they fare. The cans did swell just a little but the did not leak at all when laid on their side or turned upside down. I already have EZ-Pour spouts for these cans and solid caps ordered from Scepter. Not bad cans at all.

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/czshooter/media/IMG_5617_zpse76e96f9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/czshooter/IMG_5617_zpse76e96f9.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yeah, these are the best (currently available in the US) plastic cans IMO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 10:20:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty01] [#7]
I just received a four pack.  I ordered yesterday after 10:00 AM and they were hear when I got home.  I didn't pay extra for shipping. UPS ground but I did notice they're shipping from clifton springs NY and I'm close to rochester NY.  They look as advertised with proper welds and markings.  Can't say enough about shipping time.  They look like solid cans.  May have to order some more before the sale is over.

Edit: Sorry forgot to say I ordered them from AB.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been pondering the idea of using a tire valve stem to vent some of my newer CARB gas cans. I was leery about how the gas may effect the rubber so I dropped one stem in a container of gas overnight. When I saw it this morning it was swollen up like a tick and the gas had a brown color like sweet tea. The gas had to leach some chemicals out of the rubber. While I know that the valve won't always be completely immersed in gas, there still will be contact with gas during transport and when handling the can.

I am either going to use the vent that comes with the EZ-Pour spout or just deal with not having a vent at all. Has anyone had problems with their valve stems degrading over time?
Here is the swollen gas soaked stem next to an unaffected stem.

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been pondering the idea of using a tire valve stem to vent some of my newer CARB gas cans. I was leery about how the gas may effect the rubber so I dropped one stem in a container of gas overnight. When I saw it this morning it was swollen up like a tick and the gas had a brown color like sweet tea. The gas had to leach some chemicals out of the rubber. While I know that the valve won't always be completely immersed in gas, there still will be contact with gas during transport and when handling the can.

I am either going to use the vent that comes with the EZ-Pour spout or just deal with not having a vent at all. Has anyone had problems with their valve stems degrading over time?

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/czshooter/media/IMG_5645_zps8a16b958.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/czshooter/IMG_5645_zps8a16b958.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yes, someone else reported it in a recent thread, but now I can't find it.  You are correct, and your experiment is quite helpful by providing an excellent visual aid.  You just made a great contribution to this thread.  Thank you!

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DevilPig:
So I went to my local Tractor Supply store and found that they had one of the EZ pour spouts on the rack.
View Quote

I have four EZ Pour spouts that are a little better than a year old. They are looking just fine. We'll see how long before they do start giving out. I'm needing to order a few more "water kits" for some new cans.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 1:17:06 AM EDT
[#11]

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/czshooter/media/IMG_5645_zps8a16b958.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/czshooter/IMG_5645_zps8a16b958.jpg</a>
View Quote

Hmmm...

You may be on to something there Buck, if it works on 'other things'...

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
i like that idea
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
http://prepandmore.com/

has excellent quality European produced NATO 20, 10 and 5 liter Jerry cans, spouts and gaskets.
Their 20 liter cans are only $35, their spouts are $12 and their gaskets are just $1

Plus they have plastic 20, 10 and 5 liter cans for water.........
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Has anyone had problems with their valve stems degrading over time?

View Quote
I just finished replacing all my valve stems. The gas ate thru them in less than 2 yrs. I went to remove the vent cap, and the entire stem came off in my hand and had to fish out the piece that remained in the can before it dissolved and possibly affected the fuel.

I ended up getting 20 gas can vents off ebay for about $10. I just opened up the vent hole to 1/2" and snapped it in place. I buggered one hole and it leaked a little, so I picked up a tube of fuel resistant gasket making silicon and ran a bead around the vent and it seemed to work.

It was also slightly cheaper. The valve stems cost about $1.25, while the vents cost me $10 for 20 (shipping included).

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 12:07:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: alphabavo] [#15]
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The valve stems [albeit some of them deteriorate] provide a positive pressure and vapor retention.

Will installing the plastic vents provide the same IMPORTANT functionality?

Or would it be better to find another solution to retain critical fuel fractions [gasoline]?

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked up a H-F fuel can for abt $35 recently and tossed the silly spout and cap.

Replaced them with the black plastic cap someone recommended buying on eBay.

So far it seals well.

I'll store it a couple years before using it in the gennys and see how the can and cap perform.

[Pls don't pick on me for the $$$ issue, this is a important 'speriment]

Link Posted: 9/26/2013 2:19:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#18]
Update on the post above ^^.

Just tried to open the H-F can with the replacement Wedco black cap and it was difficult to loosen.

Then I noticed the rubber seal was swollen a la the Scepter black neoprene [Buna-n] issue.

So, will have to figger out what to do. There's some Viton from the experiments with the Scepter cans left so I guess will start there first.

The gasket is a small dia so it might be easy to make a couple punches to cut them out.

[I sort of expected this swelling issue]

As far as the can, I don't see anything wrong with the can itself. In fact, I'm thinking of using one as a kero supply for the little Toyotomi heater in the barn room.

Link Posted: 10/1/2013 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I am torn on getting some from Atlantic British, which I could drive to get.  Not really "close" but doable.  Or I can get the Gelg cans, which look to be well made and I am kind of leaning towards those.  Any advice on which can would be better?
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Gleg?  Link?

Due to the low quality copy cans that have come into the market in these recent years, and because of the legal environment that many of us live in....I STRONGLY recommend that you buy real NATO cans from a trustworthy vendor.

Old Grouch Surplus is a member here and has built a very good reputation
Atlantic British also has built a good reputation, but are not members here as far as I know.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 11:27:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Debaser] [#21]
From the prep and more link above: http://gelg.pl/en/production/jerry-cans

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 9:06:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA22-400] [#22]
Ok that site looks like they are interested in making a good can

I also avoid cans that have Not For Fuel embossed into their metal ... This is personal, and some others do not agree with me YMMV

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I just bought 4 of the GELG jerry cans.  Let me preface my comments by telling you that I have over 30 jerry cans from several manufacturers. about half are new and the other half is surplus used. All are very good to excellent condition.  I have 6 Chinese cans from Sportsmans Guide that are servicable. They are unlined inside, but appear galvanized. No problems in over a year, and I've had water/roundup/fertilizer inside them.

The surplus German cans are all lined in a red paint and are excellent. The lids work easily and they seal perfectly without fiddling. I have 8 Danish surlus cans that are very similar to the surplus German cans.   I have eight new Valpro jerry cans with red liners in them. They are excellent. the lids work easily and seal just as easy. The external finish is the best of all the cans I have. and the safety catch on the hinged lid is the easiest and most heavy duty.

The GELG cans are OK, but they are unlined - just like the Chinese cans. The exterior seems well made, but the lids are difficult to operate. The price is good, but I would not order them again because there is no red lining inside the can. I'd worry about rust internally.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jafrazer1:
I just bought 4 of the GELG jerry cans.  Let me preface my comments by telling you that I have over 30 jerry cans from several manufacturers. about half are new and the other half is surplus used. All are very good to excellent condition.  I have 6 Chinese cans from Sportsmans Guide that are servicable. They are unlined inside, but appear galvanized. No problems in over a year, and I've had water/roundup/fertilizer inside them.

The surplus German cans are all lined in a red paint and are excellent. The lids work easily and they seal perfectly without fiddling. I have 8 Danish surlus cans that are very similar to the surplus German cans.   I have eight new Valpro jerry cans with red liners in them. They are excellent. the lids work easily and seal just as easy. The external finish is the best of all the cans I have. and the safety catch on the hinged lid is the easiest and most heavy duty.

The GELG cans are OK, but they are unlined - just like the Chinese cans. The exterior seems well made, but the lids are difficult to operate. The price is good, but I would not order them again because there is no red lining inside the can. I'd worry about rust internally.
View Quote

I thought the whole can was supposed to be coated with some sort of nano-ceramic coating?  I can't recall where I saw that?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#25]
The guy at Prepandmore.com where I bought the GELG cans is very nice. He says they are supposed to be lined inside. He is sending me a pick-up tag and will re-ship cans that he inspects first. There's no doubt mine are unlined.

The best jerry cans available right now are from Atlantic British and Lexington Container. Old Grouch has good ones too, but he's out of stock.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I added a vent to one of my cans.  I used a "tank valve that I bought at Napa.  It's brass and I think the treads are 1/2 inch if I remember right.  Drill a hole undersize add a little epoxy and tread it in.  I got the idea from You Tube.  Redneck gas can or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:49:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunwritr] [#27]
Originally Posted By jafrazer1:
The guy at Prepandmore.com where I bought the GELG cans is very nice. He says they are supposed to be lined inside. He is sending me a pick-up tag and will re-ship cans that he inspects first. There's no doubt mine are unlined.

The best jerry cans available right now are from Atlantic British and Lexington Container. Old Grouch has good ones too, but he's out of stock.
View Quote

The Prepandmore.com cans are lined internally. Nano-ceramic on the metal covered with epoxy powder coat paint the same color as the body.
Note the W on the side, the Polish military marking (Wzor). All the ones I have seen have been properly coated inside. So after seeing your post
I called them about what you said. They say you are the only customer to have such an issue and they are checking each can
internally prior to shipment. Sounds like you got some bad ones on a fluke and they took care of it. I know four other industry writers
who are reviewing cans, and they were all lined.

The levers on their cans are slightly harder to open than standard cans as they improved on Grunvogel's original design.
Why? Drop testing. It's a more secure design compared to Valpro (Atlantic British, Lexington, Old Grouch).
Better still they are $5 to $15 less than what they sell the Valpros for...

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally got the email I was waiting for - free shipping on orders $199 or over at AB. Time to load up!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Aeronauticsrock:
Finally got the email I was waiting for - free shipping on orders $199 or over at AB. Time to load up!
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to buy using that deal but they had 4 scratch and dents on sale that just arrived. $167 shipped. Showed up in pretty good condition. I guess I'll know more once I fillem up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I was interested in those scratch and dents, but didn't know how bad they'd be. For future reference, can you elaborate on how they look?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Aeronauticsrock:
I was interested in those scratch and dents, but didn't know how bad they'd be. For future reference, can you elaborate on how they look?
View Quote

They could have told me they were new. Each one has some 1-2 minor scrapes that dont penetrate the paint and are typically smaller that a .50 piece. I believe two had minor dents that were smaller than a quarter and no deeper than 1/8 inch. First time with cans like this but I was pretty pleased for the discounted price. They do have a strong odor once you open them, but I am assuming thats the interior coating.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Well this got even better - another box of 4 Jerry cans and 2 spouts showed up from AB. I called and I asked what kind of a deal they could make to save themselves the cost of shipping them back. 4 more cans and 2 spouts for $135
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:11:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#34]
Anyone know of a source for 10litre cans?  I have problems with my shoulder, and the weight of the 5-gallon cans is problematic to say the least.  Nor could the wife haul it around if need be.

I could use 2 10L cans and proper nozzles for both, having tried the shitty CARB compliant cans (Sceptre 2.5gal) and it being totally useless.

***edit, waded through 32 pages of stuff, looks like the British Atlantic 10L cans are the way to go.  I wanted to ask if anyone knows for sure if they have "not for gasoline" molded into the metal, stickers, or no markings?

Also, having no experience with the fixed or semi-flexible nozzles they sell, is either one markedly better than the other?

Do they come with proper gas gaskets, or will I need to buy more @ $2.95 each?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By billclo:
I could use 2 10L cans and proper nozzles for both, having tried the shitty CARB compliant cans (Sceptre 2.5gal) and it being totally useless.
View Quote

How about the non-CARB compliant Scepter cans?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By hatidua:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://www.jagmte.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=55

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I've only seen the Lexington Container mentioned a couple times in this thread. They have good prices and are local to me so I can drive down and pick a few cans up, but can anyone confirm that their cans ARE GTG and the same ones as AB and OG are selling? Just seems odd that they seem to be the only vendor offering them in a variety of colors besides the usual red / green.

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By number9XD:

I've only seen the Lexington Container mentioned a couple times in this thread. They have good prices and are local to me so I can drive down and pick a few cans up, but can anyone confirm that their cans ARE GTG and the same ones as AB and OG are selling? Just seems odd that they seem to be the only vendor offering them in a variety of colors besides the usual red / green.

View Quote

I have purchased from Lexington and AB.  The only difference between them was the logo stamped in the side of the can.  The NATO code on the handles were identical.  Visually they look the same; the same paint, same welds, same sheet metal, etc.    Picking them up locally is a great deal.  A case of four cost me over $40 to ship.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:42:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#39]
Originally Posted By Tyler259:

View All Quotes

Between $79.95 for that Scepter can, or $35.95 for the British Atlantic one, I think I'll pass on the $79.95 one.  For $80 a pop, they could at least slip me a little tongue or something for the raping they'd be giving me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I have some yellow LCC cans that are all good. They appear to be green cans that have been painted. They Do have a quality paint job though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Between $79.95 for that Scepter can, or $35.95 for the British Atlantic one, I think I'll pass on the $79.95 one.  For $80 a pop, they could at least slip me a little tongue or something for the raping they'd be giving me.

View All Quotes

Expensive but I like the scepters better than metal cans. If I had some spare change I'd buy a small one and a couple bigger ones and call it a day. Transfer from the big to small can if needed.

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By PA22-400:
Gleg?  Link?

Due to the low quality copy cans that have come into the market in these recent years, and because of the legal environment that many of us live in....I STRONGLY recommend that you buy real NATO cans from a trustworthy vendor.

Old Grouch Surplus is a member here and has built a very good reputation
Atlantic British also has built a good reputation, but are not members here as far as I know.
View Quote

agree 100%
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#43]

http://www.walkerpage.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=25856&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=b2b7dbcafed4bc2edfe587c7afe713c3

http://www.walkerpage.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=25877&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=b2b7dbcafed4bc2edfe587c7afe713c3

View Quote

I personally think flat storage tanks that are modular can be an awesome way to extend your range.  Some of the uses of fuel storage are bulk storage, on vehicle storage for range extensioin, or small amounts for emergency storage.  I like the ones in your link for portability and strength.  I do not know what the cost is.  Assuming they are affordable they are probably awesome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

that would be cool if you can add a shutoff valve and a quick attach hose to route it directly to the tank
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

[url=[/url]

[url=[/url]

Using that as a way to extend your range by direct hose to the tank would be problematic.  Very possible but the scenario where a regular pickup truck has a direct link to an in bed tank is different from what you propose.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Gonna swing by Lexington Container in the morning and pick up some cans. Gonna get blue for kerosene, yellow for Deisel and a few for gas but go back and forth on red or green for the gas.

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Due to some coupons and free shipping and what not I got myself some made in china 5 gallon cans from major surplus.  In trying to learn about them I read about the seam in the middle where they would not sit flat, these are different.

I am not positive these have a decent lining in them.  The inside is the same green as the outside and it has residue from diesel or whatever was used to check for leaks.

I have some leftover fuel tank sealer so first I am going to see if these hold fuel without leaks but if there is a problem I will seal em up.  The lid and pin for keeping the lid closed are all made fine.

I would still recomend the higher quality nato stuff but depending on options these are actually better than I expected.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#47]
AB has cans on sale for 10% off thru the 23rd.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Looking at some Gerry cans at a gun show.  Guy claims they are german made, for NATO and are marked with what looks like a CG on the side.  Other markings look lie a gel6.  

Can anyone tell me f these are the real deal or cubes knockoffs?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#49]
How are the Fleet Farm Jerry Cans?

They're made (or at least sold under the Midwest name) and come with either a screw cap or traditional jerry can spout.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 12:39:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#50]
Originally Posted By dispatch55126:
How are the Fleet Farm Jerry Cans?

They're made (or at least sold under the Midwest name) and come with either a screw cap or traditional jerry can spout.

View Quote

Not bad. We've bought them at abt $40to $50 over the years, longer ago less, and have maybe 3 and also from Harbor Freight, theirs are similar. Plus another 6 or so bought at farm stores like Tractor Supply in CA, years ago.

The thing in particular to look for is the cap.

If it's plastic, then I don't like those as well as the ones with the old military style flat metal cap with the 4 tabs turned up on the perimeter to help unscrew it.

A few years ago the caps were metal, now they seem to be plastic. I will say the 'rubber' gasket in the plastic caps swells up.

I ordered some Viton to make new gaskets but haven't gotten around to it.

All in all, I think used Sceptre MFC's would be a better investment at half again the cost. That's what we use mostly cause I anticipated their future scarcity and glad I did.

If I could find more metal cans at the farm stores or H-F, with the flat metal cap, I'd git them.

Most folks I've observed, don't have the sense needed to take care of the metal cans and prevent the bottoms from rusting because of the way they are stored. So be careful.

ETA, are you sure you can still get the Fleet Farm cans with the jerry style cap. Don't think so...

Page / 39
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 16 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top