Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2024 10:56:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: telsonman]
Long story short, with the hurricane that tore up around my area and my hunting property, I’ve decided I should probably invest in a generator. I am mainly looking for one to work around my hunting property where my camper is. For example, that area was torn up last week, and there’s still no power. Hunting season has begun as well. Anyway, I’m thinking about getting a Gen that i could use down there, but also use at my house if the power goes out to mainly run my freezers. I’m thinking a 3500-4500 would do the trick.

I’ve been comparing brands and costs, and I think I’m leaning towards a Champion. Not 100% yet, but it’s looking good. My main concern is I can’t really figure out why I should consider an inverter generator. I understand they run cleaner, and are more efficient, but is it worth the extra cost?  I know campers already have an inverter, so is it unnecessary?

Also, is a dual fuel the way to go?

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Inverter is way quieter.

Why not a predator 3500?
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered a 4K duel fuel firman inverter on line for $330 or so shipped to my door, should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ubelongoutside:
Inverter is way quieter.

Why not a predator 3500?
View Quote

Something about harbor freight. I don’t mind some of their cheap stuff, but are the generators worth it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By telsonman:

Something about harbor freight. I don’t mind some of their cheap stuff, but are the generators worth it?
View Quote

My non-inverter 7250 watt Predator has been rock solid for 4-5 years. Mostly gets used to run my welders and air compressor but used it for the 4 days we lost power and didn't skip a beat.

I've changed the oil once or twice, and used ethanol gas the whole time. Seems to be a Honda clone, and always starts easy
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Something like this would probably work well. And it's on sale for $299 OTD.

Wen GN400iM
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 6:57:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Some_Beach] [#7]
Honda inverter > gens with Honda engine > Champion > Almost anything else > Harbor Freight > Generac

I had a Generac inverter generator fail. Replaced it with Honda. No problems with two Honda inverter gens. I have a Honda 6500k maybe from 20 years ago that still runs, starts on the second or third pull. Parents have a large Generac that takes an hour of fiddling with to get to run every time. Now, it could be because of lack of running it every couple months, but the Honda doesn't require constant upkeep and just works.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Some_Beach:
Honda inverter > gens with Honda engine > Champion > Almost anything else > Harbor Freight > Generac

I had a Generac inverter generator fail. Replaced it with Honda. No problems with two Hondas. I have a Honda 6500k maybe from 20 years ago that still runs, starts on the second or third pull. Parents have a large Generac that takes an hour of fiddling with to get to run every time. Now, it could be because of lack of running it every couple months, but the Honda doesn't require constant upkeep and just works.
View Quote
Hondas are nice but they are very spendy. I am on the lookout for a slightly used 2200i for a good price.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]

I had a Generac inverter generator fail. Replaced it with Honda. No problems with two Honda inverter gens. I have a Honda 6500k maybe from 20 years ago that still runs, starts on the second or third pull. Parents have a large Generac that takes an hour of fiddling with to get to run every time. Now, it could be because of lack of running it every couple months, but the Honda doesn't require constant upkeep and just works.
View Quote

I disagree with your hierarchy chart, somewhat.

Hondas are the top tier, but also the top price.  I have a 20yo 5kw with a Subaru engine that is like a tank.  My buddy has a 10yo HF 8kw with probably 200hrs on it used at a cabin that is
still going strong.  The HF Predator 3500 has thousands of positive reviews.

Stay away from Westinghouse.  Cabin buddy sold the HF to another buddy and bought a Westinghouse that was down for over 3 months with 3 different faulty parts, and CS sucked.  He finally got his money back
and bought a Firman that has been going strong for over a year.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Champion 4500 Inverter generator back in July and used it for the first time this past weekend when we lost power due to the hurricane.

It's great.

Not quite as quiet as my Honda eu2000i was, but I like the dual fuel option and the battery start is really sweet.

The only downside is it's too heavy for me to pick up and put in my truck by myself.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

Hondas are the top tier, but also the top price.  I have a 20yo 5kw with a Subaru engine that is like a tank.  My buddy has a 10yo HF 8kw with probably 200hrs on it used at a cabin that is

Stay away from Westinghouse.  Cabin buddy sold the HF to another buddy and bought a Westinghouse that was down for over 3 months with 3 different faulty parts, and CS sucked.  He finally got his money back
View Quote
Good to know. My chart is just going off of my experience. I know there are lots of good generators, and the Hondas I have are definitely great. I bought them because when a storm hits I don't want to be with questionable equipment. The fire department here uses Honda generators. They are definitely expensive, but they're reliable. I know people swear by the HF Predators, I've seen mixed results, but if a person is mechanically inclined and is on a budget, they're better than pounding two rocks together. I'd probably keep some spare parts on hand, fuel lines, fuel filters, spare carb, certainly an oil filter and oil.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Good to know. My chart is just going off of my experience. I know there are lots of good generators, and the Hondas I have are definitely great. I bought them because when a storm hits I don't want to be with questionable equipment. The fire department here uses Honda generators. They are definitely expensive, but they're reliable. I know people swear by the HF Predators, I've seen mixed results, but if a person is mechanically inclined and is on a budget, they're better than pounding two rocks together. I'd probably keep some spare parts on hand, fuel lines, fuel filters, spare carb, certainly an oil filter and oil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trails-end:

You have to run them dry and add a good shot of Kroil or similar to the very last dregs of fuel before it dies completely. Toss a few spark plugs and fuel filters aside and just buy 10-15 feet or so of fuel line in bulk. If it take an oil filter, toss a couple of those in the box and label it for the generator or power equipment it goes to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Based on your needs, I suggest looking at two Champion 2500 generators with a parallel kit. Run one when you need it and both when you need the additional wattage. They are quiet and much easier to move from home to camp and back in comparison to an open frame generator.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 3:53:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FOX_OSCAR_hook] [#14]
I bought a Chamption 2500W dual fuel inverter last year. Used it for several days last week after lost power due to Helene.
It powered our large fridge and chargers without issue and it sips fuel. With a low load it'll run for 34hours on a 20lb propane tank. It's quiet and light enough to easily move around. I'm going to make an enclosure for it this week for further noise abatement and for rain protection.

I had a 5500W generator many moons ago and it was a gas hog and was more than we needed. Inverter can reduce RPM and save fuel when load is low since it's producing volts/freqs with the inverter. A straight gen has to run fairly constant RPM to maintain freqs.

From my experience, go big or go small. Either way, do a good assessment of your power needs and go from there.
YMMV
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#15]

...., but the Honda doesn't require constant upkeep and just works.
View Quote

my experience also.  i can (and have on numerous occasions) go months or even years not using my Honda 2000i.  take it out of the box -- put gas in it -- two pulls of the cord and BAM -- its running.

i don't know of other brands that would be similar.

i might look at Yamaha equivalents if a Honda was too $$$ for your budget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top