Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/15/2024 1:43:12 AM EDT
While cleaning the truck toolbox out I stumbled upon what may very well be the first 'emergency kit' I put in my truck.

Expired July 2013... Usually these things have year or so built in right? So... Packaged in 2011/12 isn't too far fetched?

This tuna packet survived 4+ Virginia Winters and Summers, and then moved with us to Florida.... Spending 7ish years in the same bucket... In the same truck box... In the Florida heat.

We called a family meeting to bask in the glory of a tuna packet older than my 10yo son.

Being the hiker trash section hikers we are... We had to open it... Tuna packets are the backbone of most of favorite outdoor activities... Tuna salad, tuna sandwich, tuna wraps, tuna and hot sauce, tuna and crackers, tuna and cheese.... the list just goes on... All delicious when in an Appalachian protein deficiency.

It was unremarkable. Pink. Firm. Flaky. Smelled no different than the thousands we have opened and relished. It was as if Poseidon had packed it for me this morning.

I had to taste it.... It was warm (it's Florida).... And... Delicious... Even the kids tried some. We were blown away. AND we didn't have any ill effects after! NEAT!

Starkist brand. Chunk light in water.
*Salutes*
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Mackerel is the superior canned fish.
Fight me bro.

But seriously, it is remarkably good.  Dump that stuff in a bowl, squirt of Kewpie mayo, some pepper, and some cheapo parm cheese.  That there is is a fine snack on Ritz crackers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Let's get this out onto a tray.

I salute you OP.  Doing God's work, you are.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:39:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bucket-Back] [#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GSPatton:
Fight me bro.

But seriously, it is remarkably good.  Dump that stuff in a bowl, squirt of Kewpie mayo, some pepper, and some cheapo parm cheese.  That there is is a fine snack on Ritz crackers.
View Quote
Onion powder or flakes, and celery seed, too.  Never tried parm cheese in mine.

Good to know our emergency supply of canned tuna and chicken will probably outlast us.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread inspired me to eat a packet of pink salmon for lunch.  Not as good as chic fil a but I guess I could survive on it
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Fight me bro.

View Quote

Hell yes, sometimes I just crave that stuff. May have to have some today now. Used to go to the store at lunchtime sometimes and get a can of salmon, crackers, and some squeezy cheese and i'd snack all afternoon at work on that stuff.

My experience with canned goods: Canned meat lasts forever and doesn't even lose flavor for the most part, I have eaten some stuff that was over 14 years old. Canned veggies and fruits don't last near as long, they're still edible but it's basically turned to mush and lost all flavor after 10 years.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve eaten canned tuna that’s a few years old: flavor not the best but it was good enough for a casserole. Of course, appearance and smell is always a clue to
edibility.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jacobdw:
While cleaning the truck toolbox out I stumbled upon what may very well be the first 'emergency kit' I put in my truck.

Expired July 2013... Usually these things have year or so built in right? So... Packaged in 2011/12 isn't too far fetched?

This tuna packet survived 4+ Virginia Winters and Summers, and then moved with us to Florida.... Spending 7ish years in the same bucket... In the same truck box... In the Florida heat.

We called a family meeting to bask in the glory of a tuna packet older than my 10yo son.

Being the hiker trash section hikers we are... We had to open it... Tuna packets are the backbone of most of favorite outdoor activities... Tuna salad, tuna sandwich, tuna wraps, tuna and hot sauce, tuna and crackers, tuna and cheese.... the list just goes on... All delicious when in an Appalachian protein deficiency.

It was unremarkable. Pink. Firm. Flaky. Smelled no different than the thousands we have opened and relished. It was as if Poseidon had packed it for me this morning.

I had to taste it.... It was warm (it's Florida).... And... Delicious... Even the kids tried some. We were blown away. AND we didn't have any ill effects after! NEAT!

*Salutes*
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I, too, have been to a dive bar at 3 a.m.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the foil packs of Star kiss tuna (several flavors).  Keep a case or 2 on hand as I like tuna sandwiches for a quick meal on "fend for yourself" nights.

Years ago I had some MH freeze dried tuna that was OLD.  It was like sawdust.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Was this canned or the tuna pouches?

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve drank a lot of 14 year old whisky. It held up pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Has OP posted again since the OP?
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:12:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Fight me bro.

View Quote

You gotta try herring in cream sauce. (Refrigerated obviously) but oh man, bringing back childhood memories. If it wasn't after midnight I'd grab some
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was younger I did stuff like that....
7+ year dated hormel tamales for starters lol.
I ate 2017 sardines few months ago just because.
But normally I just stick to a 1 to 3 year past range lately.
I had stuff that was 1 to 2 years over be bad . I'm talking " nice hiss.."
Open in the sink and watch it spray.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Has OP posted again since the OP?
View Quote

nope

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ar15-joe:

nope

View Quote

Aw Dang

Sad

I May or May Not  have a MRE from 1989ish in the garage.

IF I find it I know that the best place it has been stashed is the garage.  Before that it was stashed in cars for emergencies.  143F to -30F game on.

If I find it I am not sure I could bring myself to open it.  MRE are not in that beautiful camo brown plastic now.  I have a sad for the loss.

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By protus:
When I was younger I did stuff like that....
7+ year dated hormel tamales for starters lol.
I ate 2017 sardines few months ago just because.
But normally I just stick to a 1 to 3 year past range lately.
I had stuff that was 1 to 2 years over be bad . I'm talking " nice hiss.."
Open in the sink and watch it spray.
View Quote

Or set the swolled cans downrange for reactive targets...
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm gonna go ahead & call dibs on ammo other than .300 Blackout...  
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s all fun and games until you realize that wasn’t tuna…dibs
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I keep several packs of tuna fish in the truck, along with other food stuff.  SC summers and what we call winter plus several years past the best buy date and they've all been fine.  Check packaging, check smell when you open it and then eat.  Things that aren't in cans, i.e. aren't rodent proof, get stored in a Mickey Mouse tin can in the back under the sleeping bag.  Seasonings lose flavor over time but are still usable, the bottle of olive oil gets changed out, mustard and hot sauce get darker but still taste fine, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#25]

*Salutes*
View Quote

This was OP's last activity...
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jacobdw:  While cleaning the truck toolbox out I stumbled upon what may very well be the first 'emergency kit' I put in my truck.

*Salutes*

Damn good troll post to say goodbye to a forum - or maybe he'll be back next April Fool's day...
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Damn good troll post to say goodbye to a forum - or maybe he'll be back next April Fool's day...
View Quote

Lol sorry, I'm a busy dude and don't ARF near as much as I used to.

I'm very much alive and had no ill affects whatsoever.

To answer the previous question, this was a pouch.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Fight me bro.

View Quote

I have just recently discovered mackerel.  I prefer it over salmon and I prefer the small tins over sardines.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I've also eaten canned goods that were well past their best by dates with no ill effects.  However, somewhere recently I heard/read somewhere that it's not good to do with foods that contain dairy or cream.  I have cases of cream of mushroom/chicken soup and condensed milk put back that are past their best by dates.  Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?  If the cans are in good shape with no damage, corrosion, or foul smell; I'm assuming all should be good, right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bigvic:
I've also eaten canned goods that were well past their best by dates with no ill effects.  However, somewhere recently I heard/read somewhere that it's not good to do with foods that contain dairy or cream.  I have cases of cream of mushroom/chicken soup and condensed milk put back that are past their best by dates.  Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?  If the cans are in good shape with no damage, corrosion, or foul smell; I'm assuming all should be good, right?
View Quote

Do it!

One of us! One of us! One of us!
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Do it!

One of us! One of us! One of us!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Dibs on all yall.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Y'know what...

Mail me one... I'll try it for you.

I'll post pics too.
(Do I need a membership to post pics here?)
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jacobdw: Y'know what...

Mail me one... I'll try it for you.

I'll post pics too.
(Do I need a membership to post pics here?)
View Quote

No, you just have to host them on another service and post the link here.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Not trying to highjack your thread but I think I got you beat, will know by tomorrow.

Found a 5 oz. bag of Sunsweet Morella Cherries in the cabinet that has never been opened.  I knew that they were there,  my mom must have bought them and she past a little over 2 years ago.

Best by date of May 2012.

After opening them the smell reminds me of a wine smell. Bags interior appears silver like mylar.  They are still soft and kind of like over size raisins.  After tasting a couple of them seemed good to eat, so I did. Ate 2 small portions. Actually taste pretty good.  Holding back on eating more to see if I survive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#37]
We're doin real science in here boys!

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#38]
This man is a real PATRIOT .
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By faldoc:
I’ve eaten canned tuna that’s a few years old: flavor not the best but it was good enough for a casserole. Of course, appearance and smell is always a clue to
edibility.
View Quote

Seems like all the expired canned tuna I've tried had taken on a metallic flavor from the can.

Makes me think the foil packs might actually be better for storage.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread makes me sad that I have thrown out so much stuff, most likely unnecessarily.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:
This thread makes me sad that I have thrown out so much stuff, most likely unnecessarily.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137507/images_jpg-3285536.JPG
View Quote

I get it. Paranoia is a real thing. I have witnessed first hand people doing things they thought were correct because of either old wives tales, campfire stories or internet bullshit.

This place for all that I love, is no different. Good, bad or indifferent, there is no substitute for personal hands on experience.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#42]

40-50 year old Mountain House Beef Stew.  I'm still alive

Food Packet, Long Range Patrol, Menu #7, Beef Stew (1970's)
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I wondered as well.  That retort pouch tech is pretty legit ….
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#44]
The local Fred Meyers had the StarKist tuna pouches on sale.  I went to pick some up, but they were out of my favorite flavor (Hickory Smoked).  I did find some new pouches called Smart Bowls, Rice & Beans with tuna -Spicy Pepper and Tomato Basil along with lemon flavors.  About 3 years of shelf life.  These might be a bit better than tuna and crackers.  Price on sale was the same 4 for $5
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I've eaten home canned smoked tuna far older than that. It was absolutely delicious, no ill effects.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#46]
That vintage would have warranted pics and presentation.

It being a pouch makes it more impressive.

Now when you need your emergency stash, you are going to die.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#47]
NICE.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I ate some canned carrots last week expired in 2014 still tasted like carrot and no explosive poo
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FVMC:

You gotta try herring in cream sauce. (Refrigerated obviously) but oh man, bringing back childhood memories. If it wasn't after midnight I'd grab some
View Quote

I love that shit, Acme... only reason I kept my BJ's wholesale club active. They stopped selling it and I let my membership expire.

I like it in the wine sauce also, Walmart around me sells it. Pro Tip slice up some of the best onions in the word Georgia Valdivia onions and soak them in the left over brine. Those onions make some of the best sandwich toppers ever.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Impressive and thanks for the info.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top