Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2024 11:20:19 AM EDT

October 8th - 14th. PD120 on 145.800
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Teague:
https://amsat-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/10/2024-10-08-ariss-sstv-experiment.jpg

October 8th - 14th. PD120 on 145.800
View Quote

@Teague,

Thanks for posting this.  Saw it in time to get the 2:30pm image. Next one for me is at 4:15.

Attachment Attached File

Used an FT60R and a tape measure antenna while standing out in a field.

Did you just happen to see this event or do you get a notification from somewhere?
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Next pass:

Attachment Attached File

And a better version of the previous pic:

Attachment Attached File

One more pass tonight.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using Robot36.

I hold my phone up to the HT speaker.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I would try using the HT with its own antenna.  Move the radio around to all sorts of orientations until you maximize the signal.

As the ISS moves, you have to keep moving the radio/antenna.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 12:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#9]
I have the ISS frequencies in the scan list in the radio in the car, and heard the SSTV today.

Originally Posted By KB7DX:
I need to finish the turnstile antenna project I started several years ago.
View Quote

The fading I heard today makes me think that a CP antenna would really be helpful.

I've got lots of plans/concepts for CP antennas if you need any direction. So many that analysis paralysis set in to a degree. I finally settled on one to build for Field Day this year and then didn't have time to get it finished.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I got pic #9 again.  About the same quality as last time.

And I got most of what I am guessing is #10.  Haven't looked it up.

Attachment Attached File

I sure hope the timing for cycling through the pictures does align with the timing of their orbit.  Would be nice to get some of the other pics.

The last pass reached a max elevation of 11 deg.  Next pass should be better at 86 degrees.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, got part of 8, all of 9 and the start of 10 (I think) before the signal faded away.

Starting to think this is a communist plot to only transmit the same pics to the same people.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
What I have so far:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 4:33:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper] [#13]
They still use the PD120 SSTV format?  I was listening in the shack on the TMV71A using iphone app held up to speaker. They were getting strong & the transmission stopped when a picture ended. By the time they restarted the next I only got half & it was a blob with a letter here & there. Lot of noise & static crashes for me on 2 meters today. May try another pass later. I'm using a Diamond dual band vertical at 30', not the best for high ISS passes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HogSniper:
They still use the PD120 SSTV format?  I was listening in the shack on the TMV71A using iphone app held up to speaker. They were getting strong & the transmission stopped when a picture ended. By the time they restarted the next I only got half & it was a blob with a letter here & there. Lot of noise & static crashes for me on 2 meters today. May try another pass later. I'm using a Diamond dual band vertical at 30', not the best for high ISS passes.
View Quote

Yes, they are using PD120.

I use the Robot36 app.  If it "hears" a good picture from beginning to end, it saves it automatically.  If it doesn't,  I hit the download button to save whatever quality pic came through.

The signal varies a lot from the beginning to the end of each pass.  Being able to move/orient my antenna helps maximize the signal during the pass.  This makes a huge difference in picture quality.

Depending on the timing of a pass vs when they start transmitting a picture, I can get either two full pics or a bottom half, whole pic, and top half.

There is a gap between transmissions that is about as long as the time it takes to transmit a pic.  I wish they could reduce that gap.

If you have an HT, try using that outside and see if it is any better.  I've been going out to a big field near me to try to get the best signal.  My house is surrounded by hills so reception here isn't the greatest.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By raffi383:

@Teague,

Thanks for posting this.  Saw it in time to get the 2:30pm image. Next one for me is at 4:15.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67686/20241008_144020_png-3343977.JPG

Used an FT60R and a tape measure antenna while standing out in a field.

Did you just happen to see this event or do you get a notification from somewhere?
View Quote

The rocket in that picture needs an Acme sticker and a coyote hanging onto it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Best one I've decoded so far, not real good. Wasn't an ideal pass, but signal was better. Geo storm has calmed down so less crashes & static on this pass. I may have to make a tape measure yagi for kicks now. First time I've used my 2m rig in the shack for over a year.

Link Posted: 10/13/2024 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

The rocket in that picture needs an Acme sticker and a coyote hanging onto it.
View Quote

I agree.

However, I don't have the skills/software to do it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HogSniper:
Best one I've decoded so far, not real good. Wasn't an ideal pass, but signal was better. Geo storm has calmed down so less crashes & static on this pass. I may have to make a tape measure yagi for kicks now. First time I've used my 2m rig in the shack for over a year.

https://i.imgur.com/xbXSby3.jpg
View Quote

Pretty sure the tape measure antenna has helped a lot.

The timing of when the images are transmitted during the pass makes a big difference too.

I've gotten a great bottom half of an image, then a great full image and then a great first half.  Also have gotten two pretty good full images.

This morning, the first image had too much static at the beginning and the second too much at the end.  The rest of the images were just about perfect.

I need image 3 and 11.  Haven't seen them yet.  A better 5, 10, 12 would be nice too.

Here's my second image from this morning:

Attachment Attached File

So close.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Two more passes for me tomorrow morning.  Still haven't seen #11.  Would also like to get a better #10 and #12.  Not likely to get three good pics.  We'll see.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, it's over.

Two passes this morning and no good pictures.

Never saw #11.

@Teague, thanks again for posting this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 11:44:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper] [#21]
Yeah same here. The best pass I copied them for a couple of minutes this morning, but it was terribly noisy. Decoder didn't get much.

I'll have to make a simple 2 meter yagi of some sort for next time. Gonna try hitting the ISS APRS digipeater when they switch back to that mode. Got my trusty TNC hooked up & working yesterday. Most I've been on 2 meters in a long while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top