Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2024 6:22:32 PM EDT
Was grabbing a fuel can and noticed the cap open on one of my diesel cans. I thought it was odd, but maybe just be empty. I went to move it and it was full and I noticed the cap separated at the threaded portion. Any idea on what caused this?  Storing off road diesel/fuel oil. Gasket doesn’t appear to be swollen.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold my scepter MFCs 15 years ago.  The cap gaskets don't seal and gasoline evaporates away.  I called Scepter and their instructions were to use a strap wrench on the caps... I've gone to NATO steel cans for gas & diesel.  I'd prefer a Chinesium NATO can over Scepter MFCs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably just aged out. I've got only one left now, probably twenty years old but still holding.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
MFCs are great cans but the cap is the weak point.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Bite the bullet and get Jerry Cans!
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Sign up for Coleman's Military Surplus emails.  They just had 25% off for 4th of July & right now they are offering free shipping for the small mouth German Jerry cans.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not disagreeing with anyone advocating for metal cans.
But if your can is still OK and it's just the cap, and you need replacement/upgrade parts.
JAGMTE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top