Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2024 9:01:06 PM EDT
After years and years of tossing the idea around, I’ve finally decided to buy my first Coleman lantern. I’ve really had my eye set on a dual fuel version but, is it worth the extra expense? I plan to run Coleman fuel 90% of the time but the ability to run gas would be nice.

Is there any reason you’d pick a traditional Coleman single fuel source over the duel fuel?
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't run unleaded gas in a dual fuel, but would go for the dual fuel one just in case all you had available was regular gas and not white gas. Oh, and fill your zippo with white gas, same as zippo fluid, but way cheaper.

I have a few older coleman lanterns, white gas only. Also have a couple propane if I'm feeling lazy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They’re regularly on sale on FB marketplace.  

I’ve got a few gas, propane and battery.   Battery is easiest.   Propane is also easy.  

Gas needs maintained.  

But they’re fun.   So get both?
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve got a couple.  The Dual fuels work very well but don’t store them with gasoline in them.  Lanterns made prior to 1969 that (Model B-E) work as dual fuel with no modifications, just don’t store them with gasoline in them.  After the E models they used a tank liner that melts and clogs up the works, so I don’t even mess with those models unless it is labeled as dual fuel.

Coleman/White Gas is $14 per gallon currently, so I pretty much just use it for “safe queens” and use regular unleaded for my users.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
I’ve got a couple.  The Dual fuels work very well but don’t store them with gasoline in them.  Lanterns made prior to 1969 that (Model B-E) work as dual fuel with no modifications, just don’t store them with gasoline in them.  After the E models they used a tank liner that melts and clogs up the works, so I don’t even mess with those models unless it is labeled as dual fuel.

Coleman/White Gas is $14 per gallon currently, so I pretty much just use it for “safe queens” and use regular unleaded for my users.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/IMG_6920_jpeg-3325277.JPG
View Quote

Do you like the reflectors?   Are they useful?
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JBFJ40:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JBFJ40:

Coleman/White Gas is $14 per gallon currently, so I pretty much just use it for “safe queens” and use regular unleaded for my users.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/IMG_6920_jpeg-3325277.JPG

Yes!  I like reflectors very much.  They make the lantern much more useful by keeping the glare out of my eyes and the light directed where I need it.  I take them off when I use the light as a flood and hung above my line of sight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Coleman dual fuel with deflector and a propane Coleman.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I would get two Coleman lanterns.
I would get the liquid fuel lantern and I would also get the propane fuel lantern.
Options are nice for survival.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 12:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#9]
I have a couple propane coleman lanterns.  These seem to be more convenient for camping than battery-op crap or leaky fuel types.  

I use three old-school Dietz hot and cold blast lanterns on the patio and around the hot tub.  I fill them with citronella lamp oil to keep away flying bitey things.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
What about the kerosene models? It looks like there is one kerosene model currently available.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at your flea markets  I saw 6 today in a very small market they were 10-20 each
Read up on the maintenance on YouTube  good luck try them out out doors befor depending on the have a backup plan
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
My first Coleman lantern and stoves were dual fuel, primarily for versatility. I have never ran gasoline in any of them, so it has been a bit of a nonissue. It was has since turned into an unhealthy hobby and I have several other lanterns and stoves.

Keep an eye out at yard sales, thrift shops, and antique stores. There are a ton of good lanterns out there for a fraction of new prices.

Not a lantern, but this NIB 1977 stove was found at Goodwill for $10.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Some lantern models are a bit more robust than others, but all are usable for several decades with minor refurbishment.  All lanterns can burn gas in a pinch.

My preference is to the 220/228 series over any dual fuel/adjustable models. Dual fuel/adjustable models use schrader valves which need replacement, whereas 220/228s don't.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll never understand the fascination with these old things. Yes, I've owned them and used them. But in every way possible, modern battery-powered LED lanterns are far superior.

I have a brother in law that messes with old hit and miss engines. I consider Coleman lanterns to be a similar exercise in embracing obsolete technology for nostalgia's sake. As a practical lighting device they have nothing to recommend them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
I'll never understand the fascination with these old things. Yes, I've owned them and used them. But in every way possible, modern battery-powered LED lanterns are far superior.

I have a brother in law that messes with old hit and miss engines. I consider Coleman lanterns to be a similar exercise in embracing obsolete technology for nostalgia's sake. As a practical lighting device they have nothing to recommend them.
View Quote

I prefer power tool battery lights overall. $15ish on Amazon and they use the same high MAH battery packs as your power tools.

Coleman lanterns have a limited use. They're excellent at providing prolonged outdoor light. Some people burn them indoors but I would not unless it was a dire situation or an old drafty cabin.

Cheap LEDs can replace lanterns in all but the most niche situations. Specifically, prolonged power outages and extreme temperatures.

For the low cost of entry they are very fun to use. There is no harm in using one when an LED would work anyway.

I also believe that Coleman stoves are the pinnacle of backup cooking methods. Having a lantern to go with it never hurts!
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Your LED isn’t going to help keep you warm while providing light nor cook your food.  Different tools for different applications.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TigerForce:
What about the kerosene models? It looks like there is one kerosene model currently available.
View Quote

There are a few dedicated kerosene models that Coleman made.  The bad news is that they are pretty rare and collectible = hard to find and pricey.  The good news is that the white gas models can be easily converted to kerosene and back to gasoline if you want.  Which is probably why Coleman didn’t bother making a lot of factory kerosene versions in the first place.

But I do get it.  In some parts of the country kerosene is cheap and plentiful.  In my part of the world kerosene is exponentially more expensive and harder to kind than gasoline.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 2:03:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#18]
Originally Posted By 302w:

For the low cost of entry they are very fun to use. There is no harm in using one when an LED would work anyway.

I also believe that Coleman stoves are the pinnacle of backup cooking methods. Having a lantern to go with it never hurts!
View Quote

No harm, but also no point either. The only possible reason for messing with fragile lantern mantles and cantankerous pumps is because you like fucking with obsolete machinery.

As for the stoves, I confess, I'm a fan. I used to carry two 2-burner Coleman camp stoves with me when car camping. But now I use a small Blackstone grill. As for emergency/SHTF type cooking, I've become pretty good at cooking over a wood fire. The Colemans are no match for a cast iron fry pan, a dutch oven and a wood fire.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Your LED isn’t going to help keep you warm while providing light nor cook your food.  Different tools for different applications.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This. During the summer here it's like at like 6 and dark at 10, not a lot of need for a lantern. In the winter though, when it's dark at 5 having something that also produces heat wouldnt be bad.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
I wouldn't run unleaded gas in a dual fuel, but would go for the dual fuel one just in case all you had available was regular gas and not white gas. Oh, and fill your zippo with white gas, same as zippo fluid, but way cheaper.

I have a few older coleman lanterns, white gas only. Also have a couple propane if I'm feeling lazy.
View Quote

Regular lanterns burn pump gas fine. The problem is leaving it sit till the gas goes bad. White gas seems to have an indefinite shelf life. Ive found cans that are 40+years old and it still works fine. There's a guy on youtube, forget his name. He was doing a head to head test with 2 200As. Running white gas through one and regular unleaded through another to compare the difference after multiple multiple gallons. Might have been the oldtowncoleman guy.
Coleman Lantern Camping Fuel -vs- Pump Gas 6-month Update

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top