Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2023 9:52:27 PM EDT
David Tubb did a interesting video on how he runs his 6xc with the bullets jammed into the lands. Been thinking of trying this myself on a 308 or a 260. Anyone else ever load like this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grayman89] [#1]
What happens when you need to clear an unfired round that has been jammed deep into the lands?

Most of the bench rest and f class guys run very little neck tension
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
better bring a caliber specific rod and a hammer to help get the jammed bullet out of the chamber.  That's if you need to unload a round of course.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea right,  A general statement like that doesn't work for each bullet.

I loaded some 7.5x55 rounds, I thought I had the measurement from the ogive perfect but when I was at the range I opened the action to extract a live round, powder everywhere and a stuck bullet.  

Accuracy in my .308 with lapua bullets was best with a longer jump to the lands than the Berger bullets I load to only .015 from the lands.

Link Posted: 2/13/2023 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My loads get shot in different guns, so load to COAL listed in the loading manual/resource

Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Go easy OP, easy to get in over your head chasing the lands, especially when you want to jam them up...I  played with it a bit way back in the 80's, have never bothered since...Normally can find just as good of a load if not better with out pushing that hard on the lands...
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Erik Cortina has some great videos on this.

Chasing the lands is STUPID! Don't do it.

Chasing the lands is STUPID: Part 2
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Erik Cortina just won the SW Nationals, story on www.accurateshooter.com "Daily Bulletin" posted yesterday.

With that being said, unless you are shooting VLD's, most bullets fly just fine being jumped. I personally need all of my ammo to feed and function from any rifle I own. I never exceed SAAMI oal".
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Generally avoid the lands by at least .020" if I can.  Depending on the cartridge & powder being burned carbon fouling can really start to become a source of inconsistency if you're in or very near the lands on a clean bore.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I seldom shoot anything other than VLD style these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top