Posted: 1/1/2011 4:44:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No body in their right mind....
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No body in their right mind....

You got to have a mind first before it is right.
At one time there was a big push for nutria. They even try changing its name but a lot of people could not get pass the orange teeth. I ate it before and will eat it again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, dem nutra rats is good eatin!

Sumtin like a 10 lb water logged squirrel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I just heard a news report on NPR the other day about fashion designers using "Nutria Fur" for their clothes because it was "Green" because of the damage the rats did to the swamps. I didn't catch the whole report, but not once did they mention that they were f'ing rats. I laughed the whole time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
http://img.poptower.com/pic-32081/troy-landry-swamp-people.jpg?d=600
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Heck, I'll try just about any critter once.   .....I ate beaver once......Shot it, cut the back straps out and fried 'em.....Oddly enough it had the same basic taste as whale except the beaver tasted muddy and the whale tasted fishy....go figure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Southerners.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Heck, I'll try just about any critter once.   .....I ate beaver once......Shot it, cut the back straps out and fried 'em.....Oddly enough it had the same basic taste as whale except the beaver tasted muddy and the whale tasted fishy....go figure.

Who eats whale?
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I read the recipe in the original post. It omitted the crucial final instruction ––- before serving,  remove and discard nutria....
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:24:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who eats whale?

I'm in Japan, the sell it and eat it...So I tried it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd have to be pretty damned hungry, and everything else would have to be hunted out.  That said, I'd definitely do it if I had to, I just wouldn't go out of my way for it if just about anything else was available.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#13]
It would go along with

Muskrat
otter
beaver
porcupine
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Actually it is quite tasty.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
For those of you who do not want to clean them yourself....  now with reduced hair!

and for those who want to get their HEAT on !

YUM YUM !

LB
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Nutes used to be a huge problem here.
I remember in the late '70s, when we had a BRUTAL winter, you'd find piles of 50-100 frozen solid, out in the marsh.

Feds (USDA) have been running a nutria eradication effort over near Blackwater NWR the last bunch of year, and seems to be working pretty well, except for some private landowners who will not let them on.

As far as eating them, I've had them, muskrats, etc, and still make a few batches of beaver BBQ every year.
(also feed carcasses to our dogs and hogs)
Heck, some years, got more for rat meats than for the pelts!

Nothing wrong with eating them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Feds (USDA) have been running a nutria eradication effort over near Blackwater NWR the last bunch of year, and seems to be working pretty well, except for some private landowners who will not let them on.

I heard on the radio a day or two ago that in LA or AL (Don't recall which), paying a small bounty on Nutria has reduced their spread by 90% in ten years.  Pretty impressive.  They're also being touted as "green" fur for the fasion industry.  One designer even called it "virtuous" fur, which gave me a pretty good chuckle.

If they lived around here, I don't think that I would eat them... but I'd sure shoot them by the dozen to feed to my dogs.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I know there was a $5 bounty in La and some folks were rolling in with THOUSANDS!

It was discussed here, but never happened.
Might be a good way to clean up what's left!

Prof who helped out here was from England- seems they had a huge problem over on the Thames as well.

Strictly vegetarians, same as a rabbit: just need better PR!
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I fondly remember my grandfather taking me hunting nutria down in beaumont, we brought in by the boat load and sold the pelts, ive skinned more than my fair share of em.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I would pass on that
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 1/8/2011 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Iwe brought in by the boat load and sold the pelts, ive skinned more than my fair share of em.

LOL, then you LOVE the females' nipple locations.
Fun to dance with!

Doubt we'd get $0.50 a piece here these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top