Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Kayaks (Page 6 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Any opinions on whether to get the Old Town sportsman 120 PDL vs the Native Slayer 12.5 max?  The Native dealers around here are pretty much non existent so I may be going old town anyway but even they have no stock. I was hoping winter would be a good time to buy as things slowed down.  Smaller 10 foot'ish boats are around but I thought a 12 footer would serve me better on the shoreline around here for long island sound and still not be too big for me to carry around in my pickup
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:09:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By plinker8:
Any opinions on whether to get the Old Town sportsman 120 PDL vs the Native Slayer 12.5 max?  The Native dealers around here are pretty much non existent so I may be going old town anyway but even they have no stock. I was hoping winter would be a good time to buy as things slowed down.  Smaller 10 foot'ish boats are around but I thought a 12 footer would serve me better on the shoreline around here for long island sound and still not be too big for me to carry around in my pickup
View Quote

You can’t go wrong with either one.  A friend of mine is on the Native Pro Staff, he had a Slayer 12 a couple of years ago and has been using a Titan 12 since.  Edit: I see that the Slayer Max is a new model.

I’ve owned a Slayer 10 and didn’t care for it, the ratings are wrong IMHO.  The max weight rating is 400 or 450 pounds.  I weigh about 250 and was too heavy for it.  Water would come up through the scupper holes and there was always standing water in the floor.  I doubt this would be a problem with a 12 footer. The pedal drive was tricky to pull up, which you have to do every time you beach the boat.  I understand they have fixed that issue since I had mine.

I was able to try out an Old Town Predator PDL and really liked it.  The pedal drive unit was engineered by Minn Kota (same parent company as Old Town) and is a slick design.  The Pedal drive is spring assisted and deploys and stows very easily, and the one I tried was smooth as butter. It also has a dry storage compartment in the PDL drive.  My complaint was that the Predator is a little tippy and the length, I don’t really want a 13 foot kayak.  If I get another Pedal Drive kayak it’ll likely be the Sportsman 120, but I will demo one first to be sure I like it.

EDIT:  I almost forgot, the Slayer 10 Had the turning radius of a semi truck.  I upgraded to a bigger rudder and it was a little better but still a terrible turning kayak.

The Predator has a slick stow and deploy system for the rudder, and it turns like a sports car in comparison to the Slayer 10.  Usually the shorter the kayak the easier it turns, but not this time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Warhawk:

You can’t go wrong with either one.  A friend of mine is on the Native Pro Staff, he had a Slayer 12 a couple of years ago and has been using a Titan 12 since.  Edit: I see that the Slayer Max is a new model.

I’ve owned a Slayer 10 and didn’t care for it, the ratings are wrong IMHO.  The max weight rating is 400 or 450 pounds.  I weigh about 250 and was too heavy for it.  Water would come up through the scupper holes and there was always standing water in the floor.  I doubt this would be a problem with a 12 footer. The pedal drive was tricky to pull up, which you have to do every time you beach the boat.  I understand they have fixed that issue since I had mine.

I was able to try out an Old Town Predator PDL and really liked it.  The pedal drive unit was engineered by Minn Kota (same parent company as Old Town) and is a slick design.  The Pedal drive is spring assisted and deploys and stows very easily, and the one I tried was smooth as butter. It also has a dry storage compartment in the PDL drive.  My complaint was that the Predator is a little tippy and the length, I don’t really want a 13 foot kayak.  If I get another Pedal Drive kayak it’ll likely be the Sportsman 120, but I will demo one first to be sure I like it.

EDIT:  I almost forgot, the Slayer 10 Had the turning radius of a semi truck.  I upgraded to a bigger rudder and it was a little better but still a terrible turning kayak.

The Predator has a slick stow and deploy system for the rudder, and it turns like a sports car in comparison to the Slayer 10.  Usually the shorter the kayak the easier it turns, but not this time.
View Quote

Very good info! Thank you!  Seeing as the old town is cheaper, the saved coin could go into rigging it up

Im also on the bigger side at 240 and am hoping i'll be alright.  Can't really demo this time of year here
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
Good friend of mine is a Native dealer in Jersey. I get kayak supplies at cost(as long as it's something he stocks). Tried out the slayer, didn't do it for me. Tried out the titan, was meh. Coming from an older Prowler BG2 (Ocean Kayak version of Predator. Same parent company) I knew I wanted pedals, especially for fluke fishing. Couldn't for the life of me find what worked for me in a slayer. Ended up in a hobie because it was better for my knees. Point im making is that you've got to decide what works for you. Old Town makes nice boats if they work for you. Native does too. But they've got to work for you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mercinarysniper:
Good friend of mine is a Native dealer in Jersey. I get kayak supplies at cost(as long as it's something he stocks). Tried out the slayer, didn't do it for me. Tried out the titan, was meh. Coming from an older Prowler BG2 (Ocean Kayak version of Predator. Same parent company) I knew I wanted pedals, especially for fluke fishing. Couldn't for the life of me find what worked for me in a slayer. Ended up in a hobie because it was better for my knees. Point im making is that you've got to decide what works for you. Old Town makes nice boats if they work for you. Native does too. But they've got to work for you.
View Quote

Makes sense, I really need to try them out before I make the investment but was hoping to purchase and rig out during the winter.  Been fishing out of a sit-in a wilderness systems kayak but it’s obviously crammed and has no storage.  I know for sure I want to peddle. Hobies look amazing but not sure I could afford one this year
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Makes sense, I really need to try them out before I make the investment but was hoping to purchase and rig out during the winter.  Been fishing out of a sit-in a wilderness systems kayak but it's obviously crammed and has no storage.  I know for sure I want to peddle. Hobies look amazing but not sure I could afford one this year
View Quote
I understand that completely. I saved for 3 years before buying my PA. Im not trying to pitch hobie to you. The biggest thing I was trying to get across was that you should really demo the boat before you purchase.

Where do you fish LIS? I try to make it up to fish Jamaica Bay in May. Always looking for new areas to fish if you want to hook up at some point. I fish typically between JBay and Cape May with trips to Virginia and Louisiana..
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, @plinker8 , also, dont buy a yak and then throw everything on it to rig it up. Take it out a couple of times slick so you can plan out where you want things and how you want them. Remember when planning out where you want your accessories keep re-entry in your mind. You dont want to put shit in the way if you getting back into your boat when you turtle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a hobie, would probably be worth it in the very long run, like most things it’s buy once cry once. And I’m on the CT side just outside new haven

Oh, @plinker8 , also, dont buy a yak and then throw everything on it to rig it up. Take it out a couple of times slick so you can plan out where you want things and how you want them. Remember when planning out where you want your accessories keep re-entry in your mind. You dont want to put shit in the way if you getting back into your boat when you turtle.
View Quote

That’s a good idea didn’t think of that.  I have been looking at a lot of peoples set ups and have some ideas of my own but not sure how well everything would work actually out on the water
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#9]

I know a hobie, would probably be worth it in the very long run, like most things it's buy once cry once. And I'm on the CT side just outside new haven

That's a good idea didn't think of that.  I have been looking at a lot of peoples set ups and have some ideas of my own but not sure how well everything would work actually out on the water
View Quote
The only dealer in that area I'm familiar with is going to be Three Belles in Niantic. They're a Native dealer, or they're at least going to be. They have a sheltered lagoon that you can demo boats at, of course, that's not going to be a possibility until about April/May. That should give you a little time to start collecting your pennies and doing research.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been on the edge of getting a kayak for 2 years now. I'm starting to think a pontoon might be better for my preferred fly fishing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:
I have been on the edge of getting a kayak for 2 years now. I'm starting to think a pontoon might be better for my preferred fly fishing.
View Quote

I was working a fly rod years before I took up bass fishing from a kayak. If you are slender, with good knees, you can cast from a stable kayak in a standing position. I'm in my late 50s,  25 lbs too far and have one troublesome knee. My fishing in a kayak is on my tail. I cannot work my fly rigs seated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Rigged up for a tournament this past fall. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a video from November, of my best day fishing a buzzbait.

Fall Buzzbait Bass Fishing in Virginia

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By grimhollow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6AIMQ0icA
View Quote

Loved that follow up cast at 3:50. Looks like you threw it in it's open mouth. Love when that happens. Also, you fish chocolate milk better than i do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm itching to get back on the water..  So much so that I've thought about taking the kayak sledding!
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

Loved that follow up cast at 3:50. Looks like you threw it in it's open mouth. Love when that happens. Also, you fish chocolate milk better than i do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Originally Posted By grimhollow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6AIMQ0icA

I went the day before that, using soft plastics and slow moving baits... and I didn't get a bite. That was the next day, and I decided to try something completely different. It's usually not that muddy there, we had a ton of rain leading up to that video.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been wanting a pedal kayak and have been looking at the Wildness System Radar and Recon. You can buy them without the pedal drive and add it or a motor drive later. I went to the closest dealer today and they don't stock either of those models, but said they could probably order them. The manager was really pushing the Hobie and said that Wilderness System are way overpriced for what they are,. Really didn't give a reason, but went on to say that their paddle boats are very good and their boat hulls are very well built. He also suggested Jackson which is even more than either of the Wilderness System models I was looking at. The Recon just came out, but what's everyone's opinions on the Radar? The Hobies are nice, but are considerably heavier.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AL25:
I've been wanting a pedal kayak and have been looking at the Wildness System Radar and Recon. You can buy them without the pedal drive and add it or a motor drive later. I went to the closest dealer today and they don't stock either of those models, but said they could probably order them. The manager was really pushing the Hobie and said that Wilderness System are way overpriced for what they are,. Really didn't give a reason, but went on to say that their paddle boats are very good and their boat hulls are very well built. He also suggested Jackson which is even more than either of the Wilderness System models I was looking at. The Recon just came out, but what's everyone's opinions on the Radar? The Hobies are nice, but are considerably heavier.
View Quote
Hobies are nice. Jacksons are nice. Wildys are nice. What it boils down to is you. Demo the boats. Do you feel comfortable in the boat? Do you feel comfortable pedaling that boat? When I chose mine I first tried a Slayer. The bicycle drive was not doing it for my knees. I then opted for a Hobie. I'm glad that I did. While my boat is heavy, a PA12, I can still easily throw it in the bed of my truck with the extender and I have no qualms about driving long distances (I've done PA to LA with no issues). If I were still car-topping then the weight would be a concern.  
I try to tell people not to worry about what other people think or say. If the kayak you choose gets you on the water and you're enjoying it, don't worry about other people's opinions. Spend what you're comfortable with and buy what's comfortable for you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#19]
Already replied
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Just found this thread!  Didn’t even know we had a fishing sub forum.  Took my kayak down the river last weekend.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad this thread is still around.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 71jeepcj6:
Just found this thread!  Didn’t even know we had a fishing sub forum.  Took my kayak down the river last weekend.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/485930/2B886D6F-6433-4771-B57D-3974E6A45AD9-1956699.jpg
View Quote

How do you like that BKC?
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:46:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#23]
I’ve been thinking of getting a fishing kayak.   The one that has my eye is the Bonafides RS117.  More expensive than many others but looks like it should be very stable.   But not their priciest model either.  The sit/stand models are about $600 more.

I got to look one over at a local kayak rental shop (they don’t rent these, expensive fishing kayaks, just cheap recreational ones).  But it looked pretty nice and layed out good.

But all us salaried people are working strike duty, there is likely no time for much fishing or anything else this summer
But I may still buy one and have it for later.  Who knows, maybe I  have all kinds of fishing time after the strike is over.  

I like the motor guide Xi3 option someone else mentioned for a trolling motor.  Neat stuff now with gps guidance.  Years ago I recall sending a question off to one of the big trolling motor makers and they said “no gps hold or navigation, too much liability risk”.  How times change these things.  

And what sort is little trailers are out there for kayaks that an ATV can pull?   This can get pretty expensive. But oh well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Bonafide EX123.  Haven’t used it as much as I’d like but it is a VERY nice kayak.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
I've been thinking of getting a fishing kayak.   The one that has my eye is the Bonafides RS117.  More expensive than many others but looks like it should be very stable.   But not their priciest model either.  The sit/stand models are about $600 more.

I got to look one over at a local kayak rental shop (they don't rent these, expensive fishing kayaks, just cheap recreational ones).  But it looked pretty nice and layed out good.

But all us salaried people are working strike duty, there is likely no time for much fishing or anything else this summer
But I may still buy one and have it for later.  Who knows, maybe I  have all kinds of fishing time after the strike is over.  

I like the motor guide Xi3 option someone else mentioned for a trolling motor.  Neat stuff now with gps guidance.  Years ago I recall sending a question off to one of the big trolling motor makers and they said "no gps hold or navigation, too much liability risk".  How times change these things.  

And what sort is little trailers are out there for kayaks that an ATV can pull?   This can get pretty expensive. But oh well.
View Quote
I have a Bonafide SS127 (think that's the model, I forget at the moment ) and I love it. It's a heavy beast, but so incredibly stable and I can sit in that seat for hours and never be uncomfortable. I put a MotorGuide Xi3 w/Pinpoint on the bow. I love sitting over brush piles now with ease. Got so sick and tired of fighting the wind and anchors.

As for trailers, and I know nothing about them, but maybe a Harbor Freight trailer? I think they're pretty small. We have a 5x8 utility trailer that I built a rack for, and we haul our four kayaks on that. When I haul my Bonafide solo, I put it in the bed of my truck with a bed extender.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the feedback on the bonafides,
I just learned that where I work just came to a tentative agreement with the union.  So back to normal work hours, so maybe a little time for fishing.  but also no more OT pay and Monthly production bonus.  But what I should be getting ought to pay at least for a kayak.  The trolling motor will have to come later
The model I believe I will get is the RS117.  I like the layout, and its about $500 less than the SS models.

As far as the trailer, I was looking more for small/lightweight ones that you would tow with a SxS ATV.  I should be fine hauling in my pickup or maybe on top the 4Runner.  I’m sure I’ve seen some things like that for ATVs in pictures online, but just couldn’t locate with a web search.  You get too many hits for trailers that you use to haul the ATV around with you car/truck.It’s not that important right now, as the only place I would use that for is not exactly open for public fishing .  But it’s about a half mile walk or ride back to the water.  Better not to get busted anyways, and potentially have the gear confiscated (its a very large municipal water reservoir.   The fish are huge in there, with very minimal fishing, or at least the used to be.   Pike, bass, bluegills/sunfish, walleyes, also carp and catfish
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#27]
@JQ66

Saw this on a Facebook group I follow today and remembered your recent post.  Might be drivable depending on what part of PA you're in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 71jeepcj6:
Just found this thread!  Didn’t even know we had a fishing sub forum.  Took my kayak down the river last weekend.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/485930/2B886D6F-6433-4771-B57D-3974E6A45AD9-1956699.jpg
View Quote

Tasty looking creek. I'm west of you in Bama.  Mind sharing the river's name? I like to explore neighboring waters. I only catch, photo and release. The only ones i do take are those few i might mortally wound.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:12:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flysc] [#29]
Originally Posted By KingAirDriver:
I have a Bonafide SS127 (think that's the model, I forget at the moment ) and I love it. It's a heavy beast, but so incredibly stable and I can sit in that seat for hours and never be uncomfortable. I put a MotorGuide Xi3 w/Pinpoint on the bow. I love sitting over brush piles now with ease. Got so sick and tired of fighting the wind and anchors.

As for trailers, and I know nothing about them, but maybe a Harbor Freight trailer? I think they're pretty small. We have a 5x8 utility trailer that I built a rack for, and we haul our four kayaks on that. When I haul my Bonafide solo, I put it in the bed of my truck with a bed extender.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KingAirDriver:
Originally Posted By JQ66:
I've been thinking of getting a fishing kayak.   The one that has my eye is the Bonafides RS117.  More expensive than many others but looks like it should be very stable.   But not their priciest model either.  The sit/stand models are about $600 more.

I got to look one over at a local kayak rental shop (they don't rent these, expensive fishing kayaks, just cheap recreational ones).  But it looked pretty nice and layed out good.

I like the motor guide Xi3 option someone else mentioned for a trolling motor.  Neat stuff now with gps guidance.  Years ago I recall sending a question off to one of the big trolling motor makers and they said "no gps hold or navigation, too much liability risk".  How times change these things.  

I trailered for about four years before i went ladder rack. The trailer i used was a modified HF. Their smallest. Extended the tongue with a 10" joint of 2x2 steel tubing. Put over 3000 miles on that little rig before the bearings/axle toasted. That was my fault. Launched in saltwater and just assumed the seals were good.

This is the style of HF trailer i modified and used.

Attachment Attached File

Two major cons with trailering:

If you use it on long trips, parking is an issue at eateries and lodging. This can be a real bear in popular coastal areas.

I used the smallest, lightest HF trailer, but those still have a suspension rating of 800lbs...way overkill for hauling light boats. My heaviest fishing kayak is almost 90lbs. Hit a bump and the trailer left the ground. Pulling it down a washboarded gravel road was rough. If i did not keep a minimum of four ratchet straps on the boat, the kayak would free itself.  Ratchet straps are not good for hollow plastic boats in hot weather. They will warp.

Main pros of trailering is having it ready to go when you want and ease of launch and load.

What i settled on as the best (for my use) is a truck rack. I built this custom one. Boat(s) ride high, but still in the slipstream of the truck. I can chain lock the boat to the rack and parking is no real issue. High like that leaves bed open for cooler, luggage and fishing gear. I can also jam two ten foot kayaks in the bed for family.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fishinnut1986] [#30]
Picked up this tandem today so I can take my favorite fishing buddy. He can out fish most people I know, never bet him on biggest fish. He’ll make you look stupid. Can’t wait to watch him fight a smallmouth next weekend on the New River. Oh yeah, love the Vanhunks Sauger 12 too!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Bonus sideways smallie

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm itching to get back on the water..  So much so that I've thought about taking the kayak sledding!
View Quote

Did that in February. Bad idea. Wrapped a boat with three kids and myself around a tree a la Sonny Bono. Hurt real bad, but lots of fun before that and dragging being the SxS.

I love my Pelican Catch 120. If we had a Feel Free dealer nearby I would have loved to try out the Moken.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I picked up a Jackson Kilroy HD this week.  I wanted something I could take my 5 year old grandson out in.  It’s not a tandem, but is big enough to add a kids seat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By hellishhorses:

Did that in February. Bad idea. Wrapped a boat with three kids and myself around a tree a la Sonny Bono. Hurt real bad, but lots of fun before that and dragging being the SxS.

I love my Pelican Catch 120. If we had a Feel Free dealer nearby I would have loved to try out the Moken.
View Quote

A friend of mine has the Moken 10ft, really nice boat. It's heavy for it's size but does have a wheel in the keel making it pretty easy to move around by yourself. I looked at the Lure tandem when I bought the Vanhunks, passed on it due to it's weight.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I picked up a Jackson Kilroy HD this week.  I wanted something I could take my 5 year old grandson out in.  It’s not a tandem, but is big enough to add a kids seat.
View Quote

Those are super nice.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fishinnut1986:

Those are super nice.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fishinnut1986:

Those are super nice.

Now I’m working on finding a trailer.  I can haul it in my Tacoma, but then there’s no room for my wife’s kayak.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:30:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Still want that hobie PA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tooly:
Still want that hobie PA.
View Quote
Do it. It's only money and they ain't getting cheaper..
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I picked up my first kayak after wanting one all summer.  I was looking at getting a Tamarack Pro from WalMart but they changed their pricing yesterday and the price jumped from 369 to 449.  All the other kayaks prices went up as well, except for the Yukon, the price on it dropped to 350 so I went home with a new Lifetime Yukon.  Won't be able to get out on the water with it till Friday but am excited to get out with it.  This winter I will be looking at getting it rigged up.  It'll be a lot easier getting out with it than my Old Town Predator square stern.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Do it. It's only money and they ain't getting cheaper..
View Quote

I feel being a big guy...this is my best bet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 1:20:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By tooly:

I feel being a big guy...this is my best bet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought I'd drop my worthless $0.02

Just bought a used Crescent Lite Tackle, used Wilderness Tarpon 105, and used Tamarak.

I dont fish but I've been wanting a kayak to just paddle around in. I tried out a Lite Tackle a couple years ago at a big demo some kayaking group put together. A friend of mine also teaching kayak flyfishing and was really encouraging.

I can say without hesitation its been the best recreational purchase for my family. Even more so than a pop-up camper. And nobody plays on the ping pong table or trampoline anymore.

But we've been out kayaking 3 times in as many weeks. Planning on a kayak camping trip too.

Also, 14yo daughter likes to fish, so we have even more reason to go!

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#43]
My family and relatives own a bunch of land in the Ozark National Forest in AR. There's a river nearby and I wanted to see what it looked like from a boat so I looked for a video. That led to more video's of kayaking in both AR and MO. It looks like so much fun. I would probably just mostly paddle with occasionally fishing and camping.

I like the looks of the Sea Ghost 130. The seat looks comfortable and I like the high low positions. The only thing I don't like is it's made in china.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bc5000:
My family and relatives own a bunch of land in the Ozark National Forest in AR. There's a river nearby and I wanted to see what it looked like from a boat so I looked for a video. That led to more video's of kayaking in both AR and MO. It looks like so much fun. I would probably just mostly paddle with occasionally fishing and camping.

I like the looks of the Sea Ghost 130. The seat looks comfortable and I like the high low positions. The only thing I don't like is it's made in china.

https://www.kayakingsource.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/vibe110_Cmp-2_pelony_svz55m.jpg
View Quote

I’ve been running a Vibe yellowfin 130T without issue as a solo and tandem. They make good boats.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 3:20:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Pic of my grandson catching his first saltwater fish last week. If you look close, he caught a tiny catfish.  His dad is piloting a Santa Cruz Raptor.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have a Royak kayak owner’s manual they are willing to share?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SchizoPathica] [#47]
Just picked up my first kayak.
Vibe Yellowfin 100.
Will mainly be floating a five to six mile section of lazy river by my home.
It's loaded with smallmouth.

Besides lifejacket, paddle, milk crate  and fish finder (really done need one) what essential gear do you guys recommend?

ETA:  I'm really just getting back into fishing after many years but we've got a five year old son so I'm looking at this as something we can grow into together.

My past fishing experience was all on the great lakes fishing for walleye and yellow perch, all from medium sized boats.

I'll take any advice you guys can offer since this is a whole new way of doing things for us.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SchizoPathica:
Just picked up my first kayak.
Vibe Yellowfin 100.
Will mainly be floating a five to six mile section of lazy river by my home.
It's loaded with smallmouth.

Besides lifejacket, paddle, milk crate  and fish finder (really done need one) what essential gear do you guys recommend?

ETA:  I'm really just getting back into fishing after many years but we've got a five year old son so I'm looking at this as something we can grow into together.

My past fishing experience was all on the great lakes fishing for walleye and yellow perch, all from medium sized boats.

I'll take any advice you guys can offer since this is a whole new way of doing things for us.
View Quote

Rod floats and a floating fish basket if you plan on keeping any. I like the wire mesh basket with a wheelbarrow inter tube around the neck. Small boat anchor and a limb clip.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Rod floats and a floating fish basket if you plan on keeping any. I like the wire mesh basket with a wheelbarrow inter tube around the neck. Small boat anchor and a limb clip.
View Quote

Sweet, have the rod floats.  The limb clip is an EXCELLENT idea. That's something that could really come in handy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#50]
What's a good trailer to pull a pro angler?
I'm about ready for the yak.
Page / 7
Kayaks (Page 6 of 7)
Top Top