Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2007 11:39:00 AM EDT
I just got twelve cases of the Heater Meals Plus (12 meals per case). They expired yesterday, and the ogranization had to rotate them out of stock. They are all BBQ Beef and Pepper Steak w/ rice. Any of you tried these? Will they still be good much longer now that they have "expired"? I keep cases of MRE's at the house, but this is the first time I ever had this kind of meal.

Link Posted: 4/16/2007 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Have never tried them, from what I have seen they were a third again as expensive as MREs. I have about all the MREs and that type I plan to stock, will buy here and there to rotate the stock, but I have been buying staples like rice, flour and lots of TPV.

Let us know how you like them though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw on the Internet that they are $81 per case. I will have to try one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried some heater meals about 2 years ago, not sure if they were the “plus”

I will say that what I tried tasted like **** but I guess if you are cold, afraid and hungry enough it would taste better.
They tasted worse than mountain house dehydrated meals. Just to give you something to base what I said on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw on the Internet that they are $81 per case. I will have to try one.

Dude, not to discourage you, but someone on here a few days ago talked about getting two cases of actual military MREs off of ebay for total with shipping 78 dollars. I looked and there are good deals to be had. I paid more per case for mostly civie mres. If you get them let us know how you like them, calories per meal, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a stack of MRE's at the house. These did not cost me a dime. My main concern is how long after the expiration date they will last. They have been kept in a cool, dark basement since they were purchased. I was told that next year I will may be able to get my hands on 100 cases for nothing. I will likely open some up to try and give some away to some friends who will be likely to use them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a stack of MRE's at the house. These did not cost me a dime. My main concern is how long after the expiration date they will last. They have been kept in a cool, dark basement since they were purchased. I was told that next year I will may be able to get my hands on 100 cases for nothing. I will likely open some up to try and give some away to some friends who will be likely to use them.

I have eaten brown wrapped MRE's last year and they tasted fine or as some say good.
I like MRE's and think they taste good. So I am a "some".
Just a guess on my part but, I think you are GTG with them.

Oh and FU for getting free MRE's.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've tried the turkey, the pepper steak, and the veggie lasagna.

The taste- sucks real bad
The smell-pretty bad
the looks-the veggie lasagna I thought looked nasty, everything was off color and you burb burp on the garlic all night
I got stomach pain from the steak with a couple hours of consuming them.  I think I can't tolerate some of the preservatives as some of the Schwan's frozen meals do the same thing to me.

I would rather eat an MRE any day of the week, to inlude the dehydrated pork patty (dry even!)

The only plus side is they had water, a heater, salt and spices (you'll need them to give them any kind of flavor)

I got them free from a soldier who wouldn't eat them when issued them.  I see his point!  I kept them in the truck for emergencies.

I would never pay money for them....EVER!  but i would take them for free and stash them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Free is always good. I gave two cases to a like minded friend last night. He said he and his son were going to eat them for dinner. I have not heard from him, so they either died from them or they were so bad they will never speak to me again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
One word for heater meals-yuck.  I tried the BBQ beef (I think it was "zesty") and after getting it down, found that it sat in the pit of my stomach to remind me, "that was a really bad idea eating this."  I cannot recommend unless you like to drink really crappy canned fruit punch/lemonade with your really crappy meal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've eaten the heater meals, not the plus, just the meals.  I thought they were ok.  I stick to the brown foods though...bbq and beef with gravy.  Some salt, some pepper and eat them while they are hot.  They are too expensive for what you get if you have access to MRE's but, if they are free, I would take them and consider myself lucky.

As to the "experation date,"  i wouldn't worry.  I am not a chemist, but my understanding is that as they degrade over time, they (and MREs) lose flavor, color and nutrients way before they become unsafe to eat.  SO, I would guess if it looks decent and tastes decent, it is at least safe.  I have eaten MREs years after they supposed calander life and they were fine tasting if a little off color sometimes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top