Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2007 10:15:08 AM EDT
Just started watching Les Stroud's TV show ( Off The Grid ) on the Home Channel . I have never seen this before and it looks like a great show , it was filmed back in 1999 before he became Survivorman !

I just wonder why I haven't seen this before !........
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I especially like when he helicopters' in the logs for his log cabin.  That's really off the grid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I especially like when he helicopters' in the logs for his log cabin.  That's really off the grid.

Well, he said up front he didn't have the time or inclination to build it from timber.  Honestly I expected a little more from the series.  In the end that place probably cost a small fortune to build and he didn't give much detail on anything.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, he said up front he didn't have the time or inclination to build it from timber.  Honestly I expected a little more from the series.  In the end that place probably cost a small fortune to build and he didn't give much detail on anything.

I understand that.  It's fine if he didn't build it, but having your home helicoptered in isn't exactly getting back to nature.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the show was called Off the Grid not getting back to nature !.....

I would also like to see the cost involved with this project , I bet it was real high end !

Not a bad show all in all but I would have liked to see it streched out into a 3 or 4 part show , so they could show a little more of what was involved in getting to the final part !
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Big diff. between what Les did and the guy from the 60-70s ALONE in the WOODs, is what I believe it was called, bout the old guy that literally built his cabin and life from the resources around him, once a year they said his buddy would canoe a few supplies into him, but not very much.

I agree that building a cabin using helicopter is fine as along as it wasnt a back to nature show.

Alot of modern off grid houses are actually pretty high tech.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Big diff. between what Les did and the guy from the 60-70s ALONE in the WOODs, is what I believe it was called, bout the old guy that literally built his cabin and life from the resources around him, once a year they said his buddy would canoe a few supplies into him, but not very much.

I agree that building a cabin using helicopter is fine as along as it wasnt a back to nature show.

I remember seeing "Alone in the Woods" a few years ago and I never knew what it was called.  I loved that shit and I always had dreams of doing it...
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a friend talking about alone in the woods.  Does anyone know where I can find it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I caught the show completely by accident last night.  I liked the solar and wind power installation.  However, I thought it odd that he tried to do so much of the remodel over the winter months with his family in tow and also because he didn't drill a deep water well for practical purposes.  I'd like to see how the family lives from day to day at their woodland compound and possibly have him interview other families that are living such a simple life style.  I'd also like to see how big of a pantry that they have at the cabin due to the bad weather that they get each winter.

Does anyone know if this is the only episode????
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In Alone in the Wilderness he had a plane come in with supplies a few times a year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

PBS airs his story every so often. He brought a camera up with him, si we have a very could record of what he did. That guy did a great job of moving off the grid, and did build everything himself. Since he was in it for the long haul, he did it right- and built the most necesary items first, and went on from there, improving and adding.

His buddy was flying in supplies (maybe he was canoeing them in from a nearby lake, I forget). I have a feeling that even if the supplies stopped coming in, he could have stuck through it.

As I recall, he ended up going back up there several years after he left.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I just figured up a half assed estimate to convert my house to solar power with one windmill to suppliment it. It was nearly $50k.  If I remember right, I think that was installed; but I'm not sure.
Takes a lot of electric bills and feed back into the grid to pay for one of those green systems.
I'm still with TXU
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#12]
High tech is fine as long as you end up with something that's completely self sufficient.  "Off the grid", to me, doesn't mean "replaced every 5 years". It looks like he did most of it right.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]
this gets back to what some people think 'off the grid' means.

to most, it means not being hooked into a power grid.  that is exactly what les and family did.  

it does not mean being thrown into the woods and attempt to survive on what is around.

just saying, that some people are probably expecting this when they view this program; and having knowledge that les does a series called 'survivorman'.

this is not the same thing.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Alone in the Wilderness Vid

To top vid still works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top