Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2008 3:17:03 PM EDT
So lately the wife and I have been talking about getting a chunk of land out a ways from town, A place where we and other family members could rendezvous incase the SHTF. As well as a place for us to visit in the summer or even eventually end up. Anyways I have been looking at cheap housing alternatives that meet the requirements for the intended use, strong, modular, fireproof and defendable among other things.

this is a link that shows the mats you would use.

you tube

and this is what i have come up with, takes 10 pods @ i think about 3k per pod. What you guys think?

Link Posted: 11/26/2008 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Your in Utah you'll be fine. A vacation home I can understand, but make sure it is something you want. read patriot. My friend, running to redoubt=dead. Okay.

If you want to buy something buy some gardening stuff including non hybrid seed. Otherwise, keep the faith and die well like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
there was an article a few days back on cnn talking about people living in a _single_ tractor container.  42' x 8'?  comfortable for a while...

yours is cool, but maybe a little high profile in a TEOTWAKI situation :)
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
thats a really cool idea for a hunting shack or a living space.

also, i can see it coming for when the commies get ahold of the housing in the usa, we all will be living in one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done quite a bit of research on container living.

Even though they are $3k a contrainer, you'll have probably another $80k to make it liveable (plumbing, electricity, etc...)

I think I remember the cost per sq. ft. being around $75 to do it well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
cool stuff

Could save funds if you could find them used on Craiglists.  Probably be a good idea to spray them with a coating like a rhino truck lining to protect them from the elements.  Would also be cool to have the first level below ground as a basement.  

Here's a link to a guy that made the same thing on a smaller scale with '20's.

http://dwellbox.com/dwellblog/
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
i saw some german buildings something like that when in hohenfels. they were kinda bolted together. neat idea though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
What about an "under ground" bunker?  Can they be buried?  Anything special to do this?
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
check out monolithic domes.  can take a direct hit from an F5 tornado, roughly 8" thick concrete, easy and cheap to heat and cool, won't burn, and costs slightly more than standard construction.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Look up Earth Sheltered Homes They are concealed use almost no energy to heat/cool and are damn near bomb shelters but still livable.
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#10]
You've got too much glass. Not only are you loosing a lot of heat/cold, but you are very exposed, and depending on orientation you'd turn that box into a solar oven.

Also a small tip, try to creat at least one more layer of protection. A wall surrounding the compound + a small inner court yard, or elevate the ground a bit and then add a smaller wall for a total of 6 or 7 feet height on the outside ( maybe you have some higher ground in your land that you can take advatage of.
I'm not sure about insualtion, I think those aren't insulated and you'll have to add it yourself.

FerFAL

Link Posted: 11/27/2008 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Too big...way too big. Anyhting more than 1200 sq feet is impractical.
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 6:00:31 AM EDT
[#12]
That seems like AOLT of work for some dwell boxes..... It has to be cheaper to just  build a house!!

Quoted:
cool stuff

Could save funds if you could find them used on Craiglists.  Probably be a good idea to spray them with a coating like a rhino truck lining to protect them from the elements.  Would also be cool to have the first level below ground as a basement.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2008 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Every time I see one of these threads, I think about a gallon of gasoline and a match. There is very little that can survive a Molotov cocktail. An 'army' of one or two really can't defend a home. You're best bet is to have an excellent underground component with at least one exit and vent away from the house. If the entire underground component is concealed, you're good to go for everything except flood. What is the water table of the land in your area?
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Too big...way too big. Anyhting more than 1200 sq feet is impractical.

Try fitting 7 brothers and sisters the wives of said, and the kids, and a few sets of parents in 1200 sq ft,,heh
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I have not purchased any land yet.  But there are tons of possibilities.

If i buy some land I will try to make the land work for me, as far as making it more defendable, trenches, hills, cliffs.

The other option is to just buy a house out there. But 10+ containers is 30k or so say another 70k for out fitting them, and maybe 40k for 10 to 20 acres. 140k for a nice summer retreat/place to go sounds like a sweet deal to me.

And ya i live in utah, but 1 block away are some of the most desparate people ive ever seen. This place could easily fall apart.

sorry for spelling in advanced
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Every time I see one of these threads, I think about a gallon of gasoline and a match. There is very little that can survive a Molotov cocktail. An 'army' of one or two really can't defend a home. You're best bet is to have an excellent underground component with at least one exit and vent away from the house. If the entire underground component is concealed, you're good to go for everything except flood. What is the water table of the land in your area?

this is the beauty of the monolithic dome.  it's fire proof and you've got 8" of concrete btwn you and the bad guys.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 on the monolithic dome...if you're willing to spend ~$150k as you say, it may be possible to go that route. I imagine that one large enough for your professed needs would be difficult to accomplish in that price range, however.

Rammed earth construction is labor intensive, but again, a consultation with an engineer may help you determine if the soil type in your area is appropriate for that method, and if the cost figures will work out.

Containers do have a certain appeal, but I second the puzzlement at so many windows....if you stacked on a traditional basement, then perhaps any criticisms for defensibility would be addressed...

Have you considered green features? Things such as solar water heat, small-scale wind power, ground-source cooling, rainwater collection, and graywater recycling, will not cost much additional if you design from the start for them––and they have the dual benefits of saving you money, as well as increasing your survivability in an emergency. This could be especially important if you are planning on building in a remote area.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 2:18:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That seems like AOLT of work for some dwell boxes..... It has to be cheaper to just  build a house!!

Quoted:
cool stuff

Not so sure about that.  The containers could be purchased for around $1500, and he's got four plus the cost of the roof and deck.  Not sure of the total, but he probably finish under $20,000.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Why reinvent the wheel?  People have been building "SHTF" homes for most of history.  If you are looking for a home that is defendable, it habitable with little or no electricity, uses natural lighting and is warm/cool without heat/ac, just look at what designs cropped up throughout history.
Pick one that fits your situation and climate.
The Fortified Homestead

The Roman Villa

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So lately the wife and I have been talking about getting a chunk of land out a ways from town, A place where we and other family members could rendezvous incase the SHTF. As well as a place for us to visit in the summer or even eventually end up. Anyways I have been looking at cheap housing alternatives that meet the requirements for the intended use, strong, modular, fireproof and defendable among other things.

this is a link that shows the mats you would use.

you tube

and this is what i have come up with, takes 10 pods @ i think about 3k per pod. What you guys think?

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc319/hazzmat321/house.jpg

Looks like TOO MANY windows..

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#21]
The original
Motte & Bailey
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Really cool pic but remember, you can't have passive security without active security.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
there was an article a few days back on cnn talking about people living in a _single_ tractor container.  42' x 8'?  comfortable for a while...
I don't know how one could stand the chemical odor in one.  I have a 20' for storage and the pesticide smell is horrendous.
ymmv

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top