Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2010 5:28:15 PM EDT
I bought a couple of those Plano Sportsman's Boxes today, not a bad deal at $24.99, but I would like something just a bit sturdier.  I've been pretty happy with Action Packers, but is there a better option?  I want to put moderately heavy loads in it, be able to sit on it, want large capacity but able to lift by myself.  I use them for camping gear and extra bug out gear to load quickly to supplement my 120 hour kits.  What about a huge cooler?  The double wall would be pretty sturdy?  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Contico Tuff Bins.  Larger than the regular-sized Action Packers.  MUCH stiffer side walls and lid, and a bit heavier as well.  Lockable, but I use padlocks instead of the locking latch if I want to secure the box.  To give you an idea on size, 4 of them just fit in the 1999-2004 Tacoma regular (6') bed.  Loaded down, they can be a 2-person lift, depending on what you load in them...  (Website below just to show the box)

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I like these a lot..very sturdy and stackable. The one disadvantage is that they tops just set on top..they don't latch, nor are they have gaskets. Both of those issues have solutions though with bungies ect.

Tote
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
not to hijack the thread but has anyone ever ran across a tote version of the tool bucket thing that sits over the lip of a 5 gal bucket?
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Contico Tuff Bins.  Larger than the regular-sized Action Packers.  MUCH stiffer side walls and lid, and a bit heavier as well.  Lockable, but I use padlocks instead of the locking latch if I want to secure the box.  To give you an idea on size, 4 of them just fit in the 1999-2004 Tacoma regular (6') bed.  Loaded down, they can be a 2-person lift, depending on what you load in them...  (Website below just to show the box)

That looks PERFECT!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
not to hijack the thread but has anyone ever ran across a tote version of the tool bucket thing that sits over the lip of a 5 gal bucket?

Like this:

tool bucket

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the tuff bins.  

Note there are 2 sizes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Contico Tuff Bins. Larger than the regular-sized Action Packers. MUCH stiffer side walls and lid, and a bit heavier as well. Lockable, but I use padlocks instead of the locking latch if I want to secure the box. To give you an idea on size, 4 of them just fit in the 1999-2004 Tacoma regular (6') bed. Loaded down, they can be a 2-person lift, depending on what you load in them... (Website below just to show the box)

I have my family's camping gear packed into 3 of these (#1 sleeping bags & pads, #2 tents & stove, #3 is kitchen & first aid).  I've thought about getting a fourth for more gear, but it'd be tough to fit in as they are pretty boxy.  They are a bit heavy when filled and unweildy, so I have them shelved in the garage where they slide right into the back of the truck.  An added bonus for camping with kids is they lock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
anyone know of a tote that has an interior length of 36"?
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Home Depot near me has a 20 gallon and a 45 gallon Power Packer tote on sale.  They are solid, have cup holders on the top and they are on sale.  I picked up a 20 gallon for 20 bucks yesterday.  They require a lock but I have plenty of those.

I packed it up last night and it's solid.  A great deal on a tote if you want one.

Peace,

Dean
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#10]
The Contico boxes are great. Lowes sells the larger one shown above as well as as smaller "SUV" box.  Its perfect size for the back of a vehicle or trunk.  Its a one-man haul but could easily hold enough to be a two person lift.  Also makes a nice seat or bench rest =)
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Great topic!  I have the rubbermade tubs and they are nice, but when you try to stack them the side bulge out.  I want to find something tougher that can stack easily.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the 3 contico's and the 2 of the stanley tuff boxes that is almost the same size but $14.00 cheaper plus it has an internal tray and pull handle with wheels. My son used this as a trunk for scout camp  and it worked out quite well. I have both the COntico and Stanelys stacked three high with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Walmart "Smart Bins"

42$
40-24-18

These things are huge, can get heavy. Super sturdy.

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Walmart "Smart Bins"

42$
40-24-18

These things are huge, can get heavy. Super sturdy.

These things look great!

Prepper
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#15]
shitfar guys, for 42 bucks build you a wooden box with rope handles and paint it flat dark earth!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Contico boxes are great. Lowes sells the larger one shown above as well as as smaller "SUV" box.  Its perfect size for the back of a vehicle or trunk.  Its a one-man haul but could easily hold enough to be a two person lift.  Also makes a nice seat or bench rest =)

I have the Contico SUV box in the back of my Expedition.  It's great.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Contico beats the hell out of Rubbermaid, any day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I found just what I was looking for last night at Lowes.  I walked past all the flimsy rubbermade junk and ended up finding just the solution I was looking for.  I found hard storage tubs that were built for stacking and they were about $12 a piece.  I took everything I had and completely filled a couple of those tubs last night.  I plan on buying a couple more of these, they are exactly what I was looking for.  If I could find it on the lowes website I'd post a picture.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I have been look for some kind of large container to put a group 27 battery in along with some electronics.

It has to have a carry handle and wheels as the load would be too heavy for one person to carry.

I recently was touring Lowes when I stumbled upon this!!! I measure the inside of the large container and it was 20" long 10 "wide 13" deep. Perfect for what I want.

It is not as heavy as those black box from WalMart but heavy enough to put 100 lbs in the box. Price wasn't bad at $69.97

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=17018-84396-17181110&lpage=none

Link Posted: 1/8/2010 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I stopped by lowes over lunch and bought two more of these tubes that I was mentioning before.  http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=44066-51438-2921-002&detail=cr&lpage=none  I use these at the house for my emergency type stuff and they have a 400 pound stacking capacity.

I also picked up one of those contico suv boxes.  That's exactly what I've been looking for and never found for my vehicle!  Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have been look for some kind of large container to put a group 27 battery in along with some electronics.

You mean something like THIS

Link Posted: 1/8/2010 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean something like THIS

Yes going to build something like that.

I looked at a similar box and it just didn't seem as strong as the Kobalt box.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=278941-82673-278941&lpage=none

Link Posted: 1/8/2010 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#23]
that WALMART one doesn't look like it has any rain-protection on the hinge side. I am just going by the photo.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I helped unload a truck full of footlockers in Kuwait, for the battalion we were relieving in 04.

Mostly it was Contico boxes, but there were about 10 Rubbermaid ones, and they were all smashed as flat as the contents would allow. The Contico's were all fine.

Link Posted: 1/8/2010 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I helped unload a truck full of footlockers in Kuwait, for the battalion we were relieving in 04.

Mostly it was Contico boxes, but there were about 10 Rubbermaid ones, and they were all smashed as flat as the contents would allow. The Contico's were all fine.

Ok, maybe you remember then, there used to be an alternative to the contico boxes.  About the same size, had a more rounded top (I think there was even a cup holder in the top) but was much stronger than the contico.  Also had a drawer in the lid that was perfect for a cleaning kit.  I picked one up at the WM at Ft. Bliss in fall of '04, and there were two or three in each platoon for our entire brigade.  I want to say they were like $60-70, but they were freakin bulletproof.  Mine went flying out of the back when we rolled our new LMTV, and it did not break at all, just set it upright, sat down and waited for the wrecker to show up...  I miss that box, best I can tell its still in Baghdad somewheres...
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Go to an autoparts store like napa or carquest and make friends with them. There freight comes in really tough but not water proof totes  if ya make a buddy ya might  get some for free  they probally only get 30 or so every couple of days.  I have a whole shed full of them  also they nest when empty in side of each other.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#27]
anyone know the internal dimensions of the smaller contico box? i'm guessing the 35" measurement is the outter dimension?
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I stopped by lowes over lunch and bought two more of these tubes that I was mentioning before.  http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=44066-51438-2921-002&detail=cr&lpage=none  I use these at the house for my emergency type stuff and they have a 400 pound stacking capacity.

I also picked up one of those contico suv boxes.  That's exactly what I've been looking for and never found for my vehicle!  Thanks for sharing that.

+1

I picked up 3 of these at Home Depot today. will buy more next trip ($11.97) very sturdy  and stackable
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top