Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2011 8:07:19 PM EDT
Anyone have some cool pics? I am looking to make one this weekend and wondering what kind of slings people have.

Pics; Please?
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Cool site. Seems a little high on the prices for some of the stuff.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought about making a para cord sling, then I realized that if SHTF, then I will have no friggin sling when I canibalize it for string. Instead, I wrapped my MOE stock and a portion of my sling on one rifle and around the straps of my Ready Fire Mode busttstock pouch on the other. Then if I need to use the para cord, I still have the sling I might need to use to sling the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 4:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree.  Use webbing to make your rifle sling.  Carry paracord in your gear.  It's not like it takes up a lot of space.  I put between 20-40 feet of paracord in every single one of my bags-because I can!
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought about making a para cord sling, then I realized that if SHTF, then I will have no friggin sling when I canibalize it for string. Instead, I wrapped my MOE stock and a portion of my sling on one rifle and around the straps of my Ready Fire Mode busttstock pouch on the other. Then if I need to use the para cord, I still have the sling I might need to use to sling the rifle.

Why wouldn't you just put extra para-cord in your survival kit? Then when you use all that up, you can still cannibalize your sling. Otherwise when you run out of your initial stock, well thats that. Not trying to be rude, but 1 single strand of para cord will make a sufficient sling if absolutely necessary. I don't know about spending $125 on one, thats kinda absurd, which is exactly why I don't have one, but if they were a reasonable price I would definitely pick one up. I mean if the SHTF, the more multi-functioning materials the merrier!
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I got bored and made one yesterday.  It was a fun project and all my buddies think it's cool.  They're certainly not $80 cool.  

Iphone pano, please excuse the ghosting.

Attachment points

It's a tad bit thin which might cause some discomfort so I'm making a padded sleeve for it.  Truthfully it was mostly a fun project for me and a continuation of building a great hunting rifle on the cheap.  A sling for $3 isn't bad.

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is mine on a Henry H001L.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought I saw a book for sale one time that had step-by-step pics on how to do all types of 550 cord projects. Has anyone else here seen it?

I was hoping to get it for my neice as a present.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here are a couple pictures of how I made mine.

no pics. weird, they don't show in your original post but pseudo links show in the reply.

Probably have to be logged into that site to see them. I'll try and find another place to host them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm trying to convinve my wife that it could be neat little projects that she could do while sitting around. Like knitting but cool.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wouldn't you just put extra para-cord in your survival kit? Then when you use all that up, you can still cannibalize your sling. Otherwise when you run out of your initial stock, well thats that. Not trying to be rude, but 1 single strand of para cord will make a sufficient sling if absolutely necessary. I don't know about spending $125 on one, thats kinda absurd, which is exactly why I don't have one, but if they were a reasonable price I would definitely pick one up. I mean if the SHTF, the more multi-functioning materials the merrier!

Paracord is light enought to add to other things. Im not gonna make do with a half assed piece of gear, like a paracord sling, on the off chance I am gonna need even more paracord. I already have it wrapped around my hat, backpack straps, trekking poles, zipper pulls, buttstocks, etc. I would rather have a REAL, functional sling, something I use in the field all of the time. Thats just me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, some really cool stuff. I would buy one of those belts if there weren't so obscenely priced.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I fixed my pictures above.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, some really cool stuff. I would buy one of those belts if there weren't so obscenely priced.

My daughter has two and just got me one for my birthday. Early birthday gift. Mine is red outside, black inside, and ACU center stripe withe the metal clasp.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paracord is light enought to add to other things. Im not gonna make do with a half assed piece of gear, like a paracord sling, on the off chance I am gonna need even more paracord. I already have it wrapped around my hat, backpack straps, trekking poles, zipper pulls, buttstocks, etc. I would rather have a REAL, functional sling, something I use in the field all of the time. Thats just me.

I just like the way they look. I doubt I would ever take one apart. I carry sling rope for that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont understand what makes it a "half assed" piece of gear. If its light enough to add to other gear, and from your list it appears you added it to a ton of your other gear (including your rifle), why wouldnt it be light enough to add to your rifle?

I mean you've already added it to that other stuff, "on the off chance your gonna need more". So whats wrong with adding more? I have hundreds of feet in my gear, because if the shit really hits the fan, not even the para cord factory is gonna have enough.

I will agree with you if it is a duty rifle, in regular heavy usage (and even then if made well its probably just fine), but most of these rifles sit in their closets or safes until they're taken to the range.

I personally have a VTAC sling and I wouldn't change it out for anything. . . . . on my go to rifle at least.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#20]

I dont understand what makes it a "half assed" piece of gear. If its light enough to add to other gear, and from your list it appears you added it to a ton of your other gear (including your rifle), why wouldnt it be light enough to add to your rifle?

I mean you've already added it to that other stuff, "on the off chance your gonna need more". So whats wrong with adding more? I have hundreds of feet in my gear, because if the shit really hits the fan, not even the para cord factory is gonna have enough.

I will agree with you if it is a duty rifle, in regular heavy usage (and even then if made well its probably just fine), but most of these rifles sit in their closets or safes until they're taken to the range.

I personally have a VTAC sling and I wouldn't change it out for anything. . . . . on my go to rifle at least.

Because green-seal-delta team 87 doesn't use them and Jack Bauer didn't have one.  

I bought some accessories this morning to try and tweak my next one so that it's at least 3/4assed.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
It's important to distinguish between a sling and a carry strap. If I need a sling, it's pretty urgent and I don't want to compromise speed, ease of use, function, etc.  I'd rather just have the paracord stowed somewhere for doing what it does best.

In a bind, you could use your rifle sling for other purposes, but it wouldn't be ideal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#24]
It's made from one piece of paracord. Let see if I can describe how this is made. The buckle if from an old Air Force belt.

You have to remove the gripper and one of the rungs. The one that is not centered.

Then figure out how long you want it. If I remember correctly I made mine 42" . You'll need a board this long. I used a scrap 2x4 I had. Any piece of wood will work. It's only being used to keep the buckle and swivel seperated. Attach them somehow. I believe I used dry wall screws.

You tie the paracord on to one of them. Doesn't really matter which. You'll tuck the end into the weave and it disappears.

Make loops through the swivel and through the buckle, capturing the center rung only.

I believe you need an odd number of loops. Once you have what looks like enough to fill the swivel. Start weaving it through those loops.

Make sure that when you get to the end you wrap it around the outside strand, then weave it back the other way.

Keep the weave tight by using a ruler or something flat to push the weave up as you go.

When you get to the end, just tie it off and tuck the end into the weave.

I hope this made some sense. If not I'll see if I can find time and make a video of the procedure.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's made from one piece of paracord. Let see if I can describe how this is made. The buckle if from an old Air Force belt.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4692/buckle2s.jpg

You have to remove the gripper and one of the rungs. The one that is not centered.

Then figure out how long you want it. If I remember correctly I made mine 42" . You'll need a board this long. I used a scrap 2x4 I had. Any piece of wood will work. It's only being used to keep the buckle and swivel seperated. Attach them somehow. I believe I used dry wall screws.

You tie the paracord on to one of them. Doesn't really matter which. You'll tuck the end into the weave and it disappears.

Make loops through the swivel and through the buckle, capturing the center rung only.

I believe you need an odd number of loops. Once you have what looks like enough to fill the swivel. Start weaving it through those loops.

Make sure that when you get to the end you wrap it around the outside strand, then weave it back the other way.

Keep the weave tight by using a ruler or something flat to push the weave up as you go.

When you get to the end, just tie it off and tuck the end into the weave.

I hope this made some sense. If not I'll see if I can find time and make a video of the procedure.

Iv'e got one of those old military belts laying around or can just pick up a buckle. I think I could figure it out. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Take this method, start off about 4-5 wide, then throw a few extra loops in once you get started to get a comfortable width. Taper back down on the other end to fit your hardware.
It will take some time to get the feel to make a tight knit, and a tight product will go easier with a tool to pull your working end through the loops.  
One great thing about this method is that you can pull cord off without unwrapping the whole thing.
Slatt's rescue belt
This guy has lots of vids that are easy to follow.

This is one that I tied up while getting a feel for the method. I haven't made one for use yet.

While were doing cool things with paracord, I'll display the tacticool beer sling.

A little here and there, and soon enough there will be a little bit everywhere you might need some.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#27]
It is ironic that the subject has come up.  I just started making lanyards and bracelets a few days ago.  Thus far I have mastered the Cobra weave and King Cobra weave.  There is a ton of information on you tube.  My kids love their bracelets.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Can anyone recommend a good site to learn how to do this?

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Take this method, start off about 4-5 wide, then throw a few extra loops in once you get started to get a comfortable width. Taper back down on the other end to fit your hardware.
It will take some time to get the feel to make a tight knit, and a tight product will go easier with a tool to pull your working end through the loops.  
One great thing about this method is that you can pull cord off without unwrapping the whole thing.
Slatt's rescue belt
This guy has lots of vids that are easy to follow.

This is one that I tied up while getting a feel for the method. I haven't made one for use yet.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h432/NoFnNamesLeft/4caf5759.jpg

While were doing cool things with paracord, I'll display the tacticool beer sling.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h432/NoFnNamesLeft/5515a973.jpg

A little here and there, and soon enough there will be a little bit everywhere you might need some.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h432/NoFnNamesLeft/b7c6986b.jpg

How did you make that beer sling?
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I' gotta get pics of some of my P-cord projects, but as for rifle slings, I make mine out of  1.5" tubular (hollow) webbing, then I snake about 15ft of paracord inside using a coathanger. This lets me keep a fair amount of cordage with the rifle, but also lets me keep a sling once the cord is used.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a good site to learn how to do this?

YouTube

Seriously, it has everything you could want to know about this kind of stuff.

TyingItAllTogether's Channel has extremely good instructions on different types of weaves/knots.

This particular "survival" bracelet is my favorite and this guy does a decent job of showing how to make it

Chain Sinnet Bracelet Part I

Chain Sinnet Bracelt Part II
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How did you make that beer sling?

Rope basket
Pretty much same as in the vid, but you'll need to form it over the can until get a few layers up the side.
This project is one of the few that you can work right off the spool as you go along. No guessing length and cutting.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I just took a little different approach.  I made a regular leather sling that would hold 30' of paracord at the end.  This way if I need the cord, I don't loose my sling.  It also allows me to attach a comprass and firestarter to the sling.  These were the three items I thought I would like to have as backup and with me at all times.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Greycard has the right idea. Making everything out of 550 cord will yield diminishing results when you have cannibalized all of your essential gear for string. I use it as a supplement so, even after I break it all out, I still have a way to carry my rifle and my pants dont fall down.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Actually, I've pretty much decided I want a paracord belt.  Here's my reasoning.

You take all of your paracord supplies, and I'll take mine.  You use all of yours, I'll use all of mine.  

Once we've each used all of our cordage, while you're cutting your belt into strips (if it's leather), I'll be unweaving mine.

See, you don't use your paracord sling/belt/socks/undies instead of your other cordage, you use it in addition to your other cordage.  For emergencies, see?  Way too much work to weave one of those things just so you can use it as a spool.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Actually, I've pretty much decided I want a paracord belt.  Here's my reasoning.

You take all of your paracord supplies, and I'll take mine.  You use all of yours, I'll use all of mine.  

Once we've each used all of our cordage, while you're cutting your belt into strips (if it's leather), I'll be unweaving mine.

See, you don't use your paracord sling/belt/socks/undies instead of your other cordage, you use it in addition to your other cordage.  For emergencies, see?  Way too much work to weave one of those things just so you can use it as a spool.

YES . . . . well said.

Gunmonkey, I mean absolutely no offense, but it would seem you only like your para cord on a "spool" (wrapped around something) or in a bag. If you don't want to make something out of para cord, don't do it, but why do you keep clicking on this thread?
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I have been making small lanyards for just about everything, but most of it is because I like the way it looks and it is a little easier to grab in a bag.  I also carry about 50' of loose 550 cord as my go to stuff.  I wouldn't start cannibalizing my weaves unless there were no choice.  It is much easier just to pull out my small knot of 50' of 550 cord.  My weaves are basically decorative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top