Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2012 6:26:51 PM EDT
I was at wally world the other day...I already had the 3-cell Maglite LED...wanted to pick up another one.  Got there and had a brain fart while I figured this out.

The 2-D cell LED light is BRIGHTER, lumen wise than the 3-D...    134 vs. 131 lumens.  The difference is runtime...2-D is 8 hours, 3-D in 79 hours...go figure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was at wally world the other day...I already had the 3-cell Maglite LED...wanted to pick up another one.  Got there and had a brain fart while I figured this out.

The 2-D cell LED light is BRIGHTER, lumen wise than the 3-D...    134 vs. 131 lumens.  The difference is runtime...2-D is 8 hours, 3-D in 79 hours...go figure.

131 vs 134 is not visible to the human eye.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both lights.
The 3 cell lasts much much longer than the 2 cell.
I would use a set of batteries a week with the 2d, and a set a month or more on the 3d.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

FTW!!

AS BIGAKFAN said, the difference in lumens will not be noticeable, but 10x the runtime is definitely a winner
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FTW!!

AS BIGAKFAN said, the difference in lumens will not be noticeable, but 10x the runtime is definitely a winner

Not to mention its heavier, which is added bonus if you need it to defend yourself.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The main reason to get a maglite as opposed to a smaller handheld is because you can cocoon someone over the head with it...So get the 3D.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The main reason to get a maglite as opposed to a smaller handheld is because you can cocoon someone over the head with it...So get the 3D.

Do they make the 6D in LED??    Maximum "cocoon" factor!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I actually learned that having the two cell is better for me.  With the amount of use it has in my house the 2D cell with the shorter run time forces me the change the batteries before they corrode and destroy the flashlight.

Do you live in a waterfall? Actually even then . ..

I gotta ask, what are you doing to your flashlights?
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I actually learned that having the two cell is better for me.  With the amount of use it has in my house the 2D cell with the shorter run time forces me the change the batteries before they corrode and destroy the flashlight.

Not the flashlight itself but the batteries.  Some batteries do leak.  My father in law has a 3 D cell and he checks it every 4 months and had the flashlight for years.  Then on day he opened it, bam! Corrosion city.  The batteries inside were not even expired.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Had that happen with duracells in my 2 cell mag light. Took it out of the glove compartment and leaked all inside and less than a year old batteries.  It was a bugger getting them out of the tube...had to use a long lag bolt and screw it in the battery to pull it out.  Saved the light and now I check them more frequently.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the flashlight itself but the batteries.  Some batteries do leak.  My father in law has a 3 D cell and he checks it every 4 months and had the flashlight for years.  Then on day he opened it, bam! Corrosion city.  The batteries inside were not even expired.

No kidding huh. Ive owned Maglites nearly my whole life and haven't seen that once. Dumb luck I guess, and of course now that I said that I bet it happens tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, Ill have to keep an eye on them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had that happen and sent Duracell the information and about 3-4 days later a check showed up in the mail.  Contact them via the website.

Grove

ETA I just got a couple of the 2D LEDs at Home Depot on clearance and was pleasantly surprised with the output.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they make the 6D in LED??

Get a "drop-in" bulb conversion.  Winning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top