Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2012 9:53:07 AM EDT
If I were to have a deer processed how could I keep it for the longest time without throwing it in a freezer?
I can probably dehydrate some of it but what other options do I have?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
smoking sounds good. I have no clue how though. I dont have a smoker either. :(
Yes im late in the game.
youtube it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Can it.  Its way easier than you think.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can it, jerky, salami, smokies.

What waldo said.

Other things I can think of are salting the meat, and freeze drying.

Most folks shy away from salting meat these days, so you may need to research in the historical cookbooks to find out how.

Freeze drying is really simple to do.  Just freeze the food, then use a vacuum to suck the ice out of the food.  The challenge for use DIYers is getting enough vacuum...29 or more inches of vacuum are needed...compare to standard air at 29.92 inches of pressure...Now you see that you need a good vacuum pump and a sturdy freezer.

I think you will have fun canning, making jerky, smoking and making sausages

Have fun

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks! I just dont like the idea of putting all that meat in a freezer. Id like to preserve it some other way.
I have a freezer and another fridge downstairs but we have randomly had a breaker blow and all the stuff go bad before.
I may look into canning and freeze drying too. Smoking looks awesome but I dont have a smokehouse or anything. I wonder if you could do that on a small scale?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Canning is the best way to eat venison. Some of the best eats I recall from my mom canning my first deer. My wife plans on doing it this year if I get lucky.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
my dad cans stuff constantly.
the only problem i have with it is that if the shtf then i may not have time to load up tons of glass jars to take with me.
if it is smoked or dehydrated I could pre-pack alot of it I would think.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Canning is awesome! I even can the scraps for my doggies. I suggest starting out with wide mouth jars. I loaded up on cheaper regular mouth ones and am slowly converting to wide mouth ones, so much easier to clean.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]
We can it. Have it cut in 1" cubes. Eat it out of the jar if you want.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We can it. Have it cut in 1" cubes. Eat it out of the jar if you want.

nice! :)
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 4:35:23 AM EDT
[#14]
This is why I have gallons of soy sauce stored.  Add some brown sugar and water and you have a great terryaki marinade that will help preserve the meat.  I have been smoking/drying meat for years and once smoked it will last for months.  I also recently bought a meat grinder and started making summer sausage.  It's really quite easy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is why I have gallons of soy sauce stored.  Add some brown sugar and water and you have a great terryaki marinade that will help preserve the meat.  I have been smoking/drying meat for years and once smoked it will last for months. I also recently bought a meat grinder and started making summer sausage.  It's really quite easy.

I am quite interested in this. Please start a thread on this sometime, if you can-please.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top